The Salem Fire Department responded to a structure fire, located at 500 Airport Road S.E., The Oregon Lottery Building, on Wednesday March 1, 2006 at 10:55 am.
Firefighters were first called out to this location due to a fire alarm system activation.
When firefighters arrived, they discovered smoke on the second floor of the structure. They used thermal imaging cameras and discovered fire in the ceiling of the second floor hallway.
Captain Don Fleck requested a first alarm assignment, sending a total of three Engines, one Ladder Truck, and a Battalion Chief to the scene.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to stop the fire from spreading to the rest of the building.
Firefighter/paramedic Brad Paris stated "the thermal imaging camera, indicated that temperatures in the ceiling were way over 120 degrees."
The building was evacuated of approximately 300 people for approximately 30 minutes. No injuries were reported and the fire caused very minimal damage.
The cause was determined to be an electrical malfunction to an exit sign in the hallway of the second floor.