Largest Powerball prize ever in New Mexico
Lottery offers advice to winner
The New Mexico Lottery announced Saturday that it sold the winning ticket for the $200 million Powerball jackpot prize drawn earlier that evening.
It was the only winning ticket nationwide.
The massive jackpot is the largest Powerball prize ever won in New Mexico.
The winning numbers were 13, 24, 29, 40, 52 and the red Powerball number was 29. The Power Play number was 4.
The numbers were drawn Saturday evening at 8:59 p.m. Mountain Time at Powerball headquarters in Iowa. The jackpot carries a pre-tax estimated annuitized jackpot of $206.9 million or a pre-tax cash value of approximately $102.9 million.
The winner can select either cash or an annuity option at the time the claim is filed.
Also in Saturday's drawing, prizes of $200,000 and $40,000 were won in New Mexico, as well as four prizes of $10,000 each.
Nationwide, a total of 18 tickets won the second prize of $200,000, and three of those tickets were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the total payout to $400,000 for those three tickets.
The second prize tickets included 1 from Arizona, 1 from Colorado, 1 from Connecticut, 1 from Idaho, 1 from Indiana (purchased with Power Play), 1 from Iowa, 1 from Kentucky, 1 from Louisiana, 1 from Missouri, 3 from North Carolina, 1 from New Mexico, 4 from Pennsylvania (2 of which were purchased with Power Play), and 1 from Tennessee.
Advice for the Ticket Holder
New Mexico Lottery officials make the following recommendations to the holder(s) of the winning jackpot ticket:
- Sign the ticket immediately since it is a bearer instrument.
- Meet with an attorney and/or financial advisor before coming to lottery headquarters to claim the jackpot.
- Call the Lottery Security Division to provide basic identifying information about the ticket and its purchase and to make an appointment to either claim the prize at lottery headquarters in Albuquerque or to present the winning ticket and discuss various options prior to filing the claim.
Since Powerball was launched in the state of New Mexico in October 1996, the New Mexico Lottery has had four other multi-million dollar jackpots:
- The state's first Powerball jackpot was claimed on Nov. 30, 2000 by a group of 14 Sandia National Laboratory employees who shared $131 million.
- On Feb. 22, 2002, Isabell Delgado of Las Cruces won a Powerball jackpot of $32 million.
- John San Cartier, an airman from Kirtland Air Force base, collected a $93.4 million Powerball jackpot on Aug. 19, 2005.
- Felipe Piña of Los Ojos claimed $62.8 million on May 23, 2007.