Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Unemployed lottery playing

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 12 years ago by enterceptorr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
PA
United States
Member #8641
November 12, 2004
1 Posts
Posted: November 12, 2004, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I'm doing an article for a class and was just curious as to if there's anyone out there who is unemployed at the moment and plays the lottery. I'm curious as to why you still play while unemployed and if any problems have come out of it. thanks.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23262 Posts
    Posted: November 12, 2004, 11:48 am - IP Logged

You may have a hard time finding someone to admit to doing this.  I'm sure people DO play who are unemployed, although I think it would be rare to find an unemployed person who plays their life savings.  Probably just a dollar or two to keep them in the game.

Hopefully your article is not a negative piece on the lottery.  If that's the case, you should try to understand more about how people enjoy the lottery as entertainment, and entertainment costs money just like anything would.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

salisbury,maryland
      United States
      Member #3111
      December 24, 2003
      42 Posts
      Posted: November 12, 2004, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

yes,i have a freind that is unemployed and still play the lottery,he hit for 40.00 the other day with a ouick pick.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: November 12, 2004, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by mikejb2001 on November 12, 2004

............. . I'm curious as to why you still play while unemployed and if any problems have come out of it. thanks.

I don't work, but I'm retired and not looking for a job and I enjoy playing the  lottery as much as some people enjoy smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, going to the movies and other types of entertainment that cost money.  Maybe your question should be "Why do unemployed people spend money on smoking, drinking, gambling, and other entertainment?"  I think people who spend money they don't have would do so even if they never bought a lottery ticket.  I think you already knew that but you have a problem with people choosing to buy lottery tickets.  You are not the first to ask that type of question.  Good luck to you.

RJOh

Picture if you can.  One unemployed person buying a case of beer and a carton of cigarettes asking another unemployed person how she can afford a lottery ticket.  What's wrong with this picture?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23262 Posts
          Posted: November 12, 2004, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8360 Posts
            Posted: November 12, 2004, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm sorta in the same boat as Rjoh I'm retired living on fixed income and I don't drink alcohol any more so I have a few bucks to spend on lottery tickets. I always lived within my means whether I was working or not. The less income I had the fewer tickets I was able to buy. Instead of playing every day I might have played once or twice a week. I've seen people who were unemployed buy lottery tickets and as with any person the reasons are usually it's my turn to win tonight. Hope I win tonight. I'm gonna win tonight. The lure is there and people will always be lured to buy when the chance of going from poverty to riches is the big fish at the end of the hook.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: November 12, 2004, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

i know someone who was on unemployment who played the lottery. he just cut back from when he was employed. i've played the lottery when unemplyed before, but i had enough saved up so i could do so.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3103 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2004, 1:56 am - IP Logged

I'm doing an article for a class and was just curious as to if there's anyone out there who is unemployed at the moment and plays the lottery. I'm curious as to why you still play while unemployed and if any problems have come out of it. thanks.

When you're young and the future offers a wealth of possibilities it's hard to put yourself in the position where most doors are closed and those that remain lead to more of the same.

For the price of a soda the lottery offers the single best oppertunity to turn one dollar into hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars, the solution to problems money can cure. 

Those who win find it the best investment they ever made.

When you lose a job, one doesn't crawl into a hole and pull the dirt over. You look at your resources and determine what changes need to be made in lifestyle and budget.  It also means more time for things that recieved short shrift when working 40-60 hours a week.  Now time can be spent creating a few well made tickets instead of just buying Quick Picks or wheeling without thinking.

No one should ever quit a job thinking they'll now have time to figure out how to win the lottery.  It's just that no one should figure they can't win because they can only afford one or two tickets being out of work.

While back we had a discussion about homeless buying lottery tickets, we concluded they had the same right to spend their dollar as everyone else and it would be wrong to refuse to sell them a ticket.

People like to beat up on the lottery because they simply do not understand the motivations of those who play and those motivations vary from player to player. 

There is nothing wrong with playing the lottery provided one is reasonable about doing so. BobP
                  Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2004, 2:47 am - IP Logged

a lot of people beat up on lottery players because they don't understand that a lot of lottery players play within our budget, and don't spend hours playing. it is fun, but it is not a way of life for most people. granted there are players who see the lottery as a get rich quick scheme, but a lot of lottery players understand that those chances of getting rich quick are very slim, and know that hard work is the best way to earn riches. those who play the lottery to get out of debt are only getting themselves deeper in debt, and do not realize that unless they get a job, and work hard, then they will never get out of debt.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23262 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2004, 2:49 am - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by BobP on November 13, 2004

When you're young and the future offers a wealth of possibilities it's hard to put yourself in the position where most doors are closed and those that remain lead to more of the same.

For the price of a soda the lottery offers the single best oppertunity to turn one dollar into hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars, the solution to problems money can cure.

Those who win find it the best investment they ever made.

When you lose a job, one doesn't crawl into a hole and pull the dirt over. You look at your resources and determine what changes need to be made in lifestyle and budget. It also means more time for things that recieved short shrift when working 40-60 hours a week. Now time can be spent creating a few well made tickets instead of just buying Quick Picks or wheeling without thinking.

No one should ever quit a job thinking they'll now have time to figure out how to win the lottery. It's just that no one should figure they can't win because they can only afford one or two tickets being out of work.

While back we had a discussion about homeless buying lottery tickets, we concluded they had the same right to spend their dollar as everyone else and it would be wrong to refuse to sell them a ticket.

People like to beat up on the lottery because they simply do not understand the motivations of those who play and those motivations vary from player to player.

There is nothing wrong with playing the lottery provided one is reasonable about doing so. BobP

BobP,

As always, a very thoughtful and complete response.

Melbourne
                      Australia
                      Member #3717
                      February 14, 2004
                      41 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2004, 1:01 am - IP Logged

Why shouldn't they ??  If someone has been unlucky enough to lose their job, perhaps they could have a change in fortune and win a few dollars on the lottery.  I don't know what sort of class you are doing to want to write such an article but the whole thing smacks of "lloking at the lower classes" and seems pretty offensive to me.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: November 14, 2004, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

unemployed here,been living off that big hit i had here a while back when i won playing the same pick 3 number 10x in one day......

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #8242
                          October 29, 2004
                          1133 Posts
                          Posted: November 14, 2004, 6:30 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on November 12, 2004

I don't work, but I'm retired and not looking for a job and I enjoy playing the  lottery as much as some people enjoy smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, going to the movies and other types of entertainment that cost money.  Maybe your question should be "Why do unemployed people spend money on smoking, drinking, gambling, and other entertainment?"  I think people who spend money they don't have would do so even if they never bought a lottery ticket.  I think you already knew that but you have a problem with people choosing to buy lottery tickets.  You are not the first to ask that type of question.  Good luck to you.

RJOh

Picture if you can.  One unemployed person buying a case of beer and a carton of cigarettes asking another unemployed person how she can afford a lottery ticket.  What's wrong with this picture?

I totally agree. Spending a couple of bucks on Lottery is better than buying cigarettes, beer, prostitutes, drugs, etc... His question should be "how much do unemployed people spend on Lottery."
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23262 Posts
                            Posted: November 14, 2004, 8:17 pm - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on November 14, 2004

unemployed here,been living off that big hit i had here a while back when i won playing the same pick 3 number 10x in one day......

Wow - very nice!  How much did it pay out, if you don't mind me asking?

Yinzer Country, PA
                              United States
                              Member #4067
                              March 18, 2004
                              2741 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2004, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

the most that would pay out is $25,000, and that is if you played $5 on it 10 times, which i don't know of many people who do that.