Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jack Whittaker does it again.

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 12 years ago by four4me.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: December 17, 2004, 1:04 am - IP Logged

It sure is fun to kick a guy when he's down, and even more fun to keep kicking him once he begins to bleed.

I fully realize that Mr. Whittaker has made some poor choices, but who among us hasn't?

Don't bother responding to tell us what you would have done with the money, because the simple fact is, you don't know what you'd do. None of us on the forum has ever won that much money, nor has anyone else, since Whittaker's was the largest PowerBall jackpot in history. You're all right about one thing, though; what goes around comes around. I hope you'll remember this the next time you're staring at your PowerBall ticket, and wondering if it's the one that will change your life. Maybe we'll all be able to have some more fun kicking your guts out when you take a spill.

Personally, I like to play high-stakes poker, and sometimes I carry more cash than I should (25 or 30 thousand). This is not something I advertise, but the main difference is that my mug hasn't been plastered all over every newspaper in the country, so I'm not a target (at least I wasn't, until I posted this). Mr. Whittaker has every right to carry as much cash as he wants. I believe I've already addressed this issue in another thread, so I won't bore you with it here.

There are many ingredients in the recipe that go into making up someone's personality. In this case, we can identify only one of them. We're all sitting in judgment on a man whom, to my knowledge, none of us has ever met. Would we be so happy-go-lucky, so flippant when we're accosted every day, at every turn, by people we don't know who are devising scheme after scheme just to get their hands in our pockets? I, for one, would not. I can only imagine that I would dventually be forced to accept the fact that I simply can't help everybody. I would, more than likely, want to hide someplace dark, but familiar, where I could escape those pressures and the constant, never-ending hounding of people who are presumptuous enough to believe I would even care who they are.

Jack Whittaker has managed to grab the brass ring; the same prize most of us here reach for twice a week. He should be our hero, not the butt of our jokes. I understand that none of us contributed to his present circumstances but, as a fellow lottery player, I believe he deserves our support. Think about it: If you were being assaulted, would you want the witnesses to help you or your assailant? This thread equates to each of us taking our turn in line with a baseball bat, against the man we most envy, as though we're trying to get candy from a pinata. So I ask, to what end? What do any of us have to gain should our dire predictions of his total ruin and death come to pass? Are we, as a group, so petty? If he's going to pull out of this tailspin, he's going to need encouragement; he has plenty of critics already.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed; I thought I was in better company. 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8360 Posts
    Posted: December 17, 2004, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Jim people always poke fun a people who get hurt and fall down. I don't know who started that but every time someone trips over his own feet people get a good laugh out of it. The fact that Jack put his business in the street knowing he's being scrutinized is his own fault every since he won and the elders of his churches said they didn't want his ill begotten gains, he's been out of control. And although that's his business he made himself a target. He knows he's being watched and got caught drinking and driving. That in itself put him and everyone at risk when he got behind the wheel drinking again. he can afford to hire a driver but he's to proud to do that. I suspect that he's so proud you or anyone couldn't tell him nuthing without him griping that he knows the right answers. While other people have won varying amounts of a jackpot you don't hear as much about them because they chose to live differently. Jack put himself in the spotlight saying he would help everybody. The man went about things all wrong when he won and because of the overwhelming amount of money he won was drunk from to many greenbacks.

While he may have done some good with his fortune he also turned on himself flaunting his wealth and power to the point of being arrested 2 times for the same offense. We don't know how many times he has had a slap on the wrist by the local police and they might have said go home jack if we see you out on the road again were gonna lock you up. The last couple times he got caught thank goodness he didn't kill anyone while he was driving trashed out.

When he goes before the judge and he asks old Jack if he thinks he has a drinking problem and he reply's no. Then gets off with a light sentence goes out and drinks and drives again and gets caught. They'll be even more people laughing at him. The guy is pushing for a book and movie deal for sure. Wait and see. 

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
      Member #2673
      November 2, 2003
      497 Posts
      Posted: December 17, 2004, 1:52 pm - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by LOTTOMIKE on December 4, 2004

i have morals and i don't steal........ i would grab every loose dollar he had in that vehicle and not feel one inch of regret....

I looked up the word contradiction in the dictionary and found the above quote from LOTTOMIKE.

Good luck,
      Jake

Canada
        Member #2673
        November 2, 2003
        497 Posts
        Posted: December 17, 2004, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

jim695,

Very good and thoughtful post.

Good luck,
        Jake

Columbia City, Indiana
          United States
          Member #2978
          December 9, 2003
          381 Posts
          Posted: December 17, 2004, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

I certainly don't advocate Mr. Whittaker's current behavior, but I disagree that he prostituted himself to obtain his notoriety. The media thrust him into the spotlight immediately after he claimed his money, and we've helped them to keep him there by consuming their drivel. As you pointed out, he was wealthy even before he hit the jackpot, so it's unfair at best to judge him by what the press decides is worthy information. Knowing what I do of the fourth estate, I'm inclined to believe there's another side to the story; a side that doesn't sell newspapers.

As for your contention that people always poke fun at someone who falls down and gets hurt, I will exclude myself from your general statement. If I see someone fall, I offer them my assistance, not my disdain and ridicule. If this is how you justify this type of childish playground behavior, I can only say that it's a very weak argument. It's a psychological fact that people who take pleasure in others' misfortunes are only compensating for their own shortcomings. This is the basis for many popular television shows such as Jenny Jones, Montel Williams and any of the so-called "Reality" shows. They give people the chance to point their fingers and say, "Ha! Those people are worse off than I am!" Again, I don't feel a need to do that, and I'll have no part of it.

Now that I know what I can expect from my "friends" here, you can be certain that, if fortune should smile on me and bless me with a major win someday, I won't be reporting it on LotteryPost. I don't own any chain mail underwear, and I would be very apprehensive about standing before this group without it.

The next time you see someone fall down and hurt themselves, try helping them to their feet and ask if they need to see a doctor. It will work wonders for your self-esteem.

To Jake649:

It takes guts to take the unpopular position in any group discussion, and I commend you, first for possessing moral values and, more importantly, for your willingness to stand by them. Thanks for your comments, but can you expand on them a bit? I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Canada
            Member #2673
            November 2, 2003
            497 Posts
            Posted: December 17, 2004, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

jim695,

I agree with many of your comments. We are too quick to judge. When someone is charged with an offence, we are too quick to assume they are guilty.

Before we judge someone with the severity and cruelty exibited by some, I would simply ask them to first walk in the person's shoes - now with Jack's money, I would like to walk in his shoes ; )

It is too easy to say things like if I won I would do this or do that. I will say something for Jack, he gave away a large chunck of his money. He also tried to give it away after evaluating the merits of each request. That is difficult to do. Also, it is very important to remember, for every person or group he gave money to, there was probably hundreds or thousands he turned down. That is a lot of potential enemies. It is possible he was set up by some of those enemies.

In closing, I would just like to ask that we give him a break. It is OK to reports on the facts related to his life, but wild speculation is not fair.

Thanks for your time.

Good luck,
            Jake

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: December 17, 2004, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

i'll say this one more time....and maybe some folks here would agree and maybe some wouldn't....if he parked his vehicle somewhere and left a half million dollars in a duffel bag and i knew it and he showed a callous disregard or concern for it and left it sitting there while he went in a bar and got drunk then yeah i do think that would be a pretty easy way to make some quick cash and he wouldn't miss it anyway being that he could fill hundreds or thousands of those duffel bags with the same amount of money....i'm an honest hard working guy but that would just be too tempting.......

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: December 18, 2004, 1:52 am - IP Logged

Oh I agree there's another side to the story. The reality of it all is he didn't take time to think he just blurted out that he was going to help his town and the peoples of W.Va.. But that was just the beginning of his problems. From that moment on he opened himself to all that is happening to him. He should have thought about what he was going to do before he let the press in on it. now it kinda to late to change or go back on his word. It's like when your in a fight and after it's over you say I shoulda did this and I shoulda that. To late now. Instead of trying to act like the gentleman he was before the big win. He has brought upon himself all kinds of court actions. This is a cry for help. I read that this is his third DUI not his second. It's the second DUI this year. One is from last year. Oh well I bet the judge gives him license to drive when anybody else would be walking. I don't claim to know Jack but my people are from West Virginia and all I can say about that is it's not main stream America. It's like stepping into a time warp where everything is slowed somewhat.

I live in a fairly big city where if people fall down they get laughed at maybe not by every person on the street but just enough people will laugh at you so it doesn't go unnoticed. Sure some people will be sad that Jack is in trouble. But he wasn't acting like he is now before the win. Professional help is needed and I hope he gets if. If I was related to him and my mother was alive she would give him a real good smack up side the head and a good talking to. But that was only a dream. Dare to win the lottery be sure you can handle it.