Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball- Why it isn't always good.

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2004, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Ok. Before I say anything, I know there are probably quite a few people here who will disagree, and about one or two who will agree with me on this. Anyway, here goes.

I've noticed in the past few years that there are states that will only carry one or two online games, and some of those states' in-state games are pick 3, or another game that does not offer a rolling jackpot. Now with North Dakota starting a lottery that ONLY offers MUSL games, states are really missing out on the point of starting a lottery. The point of starting a lottery is to generate funding for the state, NOT so people in the state can buy Powerball tickets. Granted the huge jackpots do bring in sales, a pick 3 or pick 4 game would also bring in sales. If the state is worried about cost for the draw, do what IA and IL, as well as NH, ME, and VT, have done and go in with other states on it and split the drawing cost. Anyway, the problem is that too many states are dependant on Powerball to bring in sales, and are not even trying a pick 3 or pick 4 game to generate additional revenue. The main point here is that states need in-state games as well as multi-state games. Look at it this way. I'll use North Dakota since it has the fewest in-state games with zero. North Dakota has sold a few $100,000 Powerball winners, but no jackpot winners. In fact, nobody from North Dakota has won any jackpot yet. If I were a player, I'd start to get suspiscious of how nobody from your state had become a millionaire, or even won the Wild Card 2 jackpot. But wait! If states had their own in-state games, especially those with rolling jackpots, players from those states can no longer complain about how nobody from their state has ever won a top prize in a game. I know this is not the first time I've brought up this topic, but with more states expressing their interest in starting a lottery simply so they can sell multi-state games, in-state games are going to be obsolete soon, and only the players can do something about that.

There is only one easy solution that I can think of, and that is to have the MUSL require lotteries to operate at least two (2) in-state games. That way, players know someone in their state is winning the top prize in an online game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2741 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2004, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Any comments?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2004, 3:05 am - IP Logged

tennessee has yet to win either.....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: December 5, 2004, 11:28 am - IP Logged

Ohio has had PowerBall jackpot winners and the game isn't played in the state.  It also has its share of MegaMillions jackpot winners and that game is played in the state.  Ohio added the MegaMillions game to stop the constant money-drain to states that had PowerBall and the BigGame.  That still happens occasionally when ever the PB jackpots gets close to $200M as it is this week. 

I think if a large group of people from any area play any game, they are going to have winners among them no matter where the game is played.  The next PB jackpot winner could be from a state that doesn't offer the game.  North Dakota will have a winner when one of their players pick the winning numbers.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2004, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

North Dakota still is prohibited from selling an in-state game.

Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: December 6, 2004, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Yes, and that is not a good thing. Lotteries cannot be too dependent on multi-state games.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: December 6, 2004, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

My state, Iowa, does not have its own rolling jackpot game simply because it doesn't have a large enough population to support it.  Many states do not, and that is why they join up with Powerball or Mega Millions (although many Mega Millions states are large enough to have their own rolling jackpot games -- for instance, Illinois has two: Lotto and Little Lotto).

Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: December 7, 2004, 7:13 am - IP Logged

that's fine. the main thing i'm focusing on are states that only have one or two in-state games, yet have 2 or 3 multi-state games.

United States
                  Member #379
                  June 5, 2002
                  11296 Posts
                  Posted: December 7, 2004, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

There are several (not just North Dakota) without any in-state games.

Yinzer Country, PA
                    United States
                    Member #4067
                    March 18, 2004
                    2741 Posts
                    Posted: December 7, 2004, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

as far as i know, north dakota is the only one that relies completely on multi-state games. every other state has another option.

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: December 7, 2004, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

ME-NH-VT do not have any in-state online games.

Yinzer Country, PA
                        United States
                        Member #4067
                        March 18, 2004
                        2741 Posts
                        Posted: December 7, 2004, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

they partnered up, and offer several tri-state games, and those games are exclusive to those states.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2004, 2:28 am - IP Logged

I don't care if my state has a winner I only care if I win or not. If I loose I really don't care where the winner is from. If anything it would be more interesting if someone here won.

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2004, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

NH and VT each had an in-state cash lotto game.

Yinzer Country, PA
                              United States
                              Member #4067
                              March 18, 2004
                              2741 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2004, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

ok. the main point of the original post was that states need more alternatives to multi-state games.