Welcome Guest
You last visited October 24, 2017, 7:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

a bank that would ensure you for millions

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 13 years ago by rabbitfoot.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
luckylottolady's avatar - character catafly.jpg

United States
Member #6028
August 2, 2004
53 Posts
Posted: December 8, 2004, 3:27 am - IP Logged

is there a bank that exists,like the one in brewsters millions,that would ensure all youre money? and pay you alot of interest,in the movie it wass 24%,i know it wouldnt be that much now. the bank was somewhere in new york,i think. if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.cause if i win - i would hate to haft to find alot of banks to put the money in.100000 per bank. lol

twisted's avatar - underground
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #2376
    September 25, 2003
    582 Posts
    Posted: December 8, 2004, 10:04 am - IP Logged
    Quote: Originally posted by luckylottolady on December 8, 2004

is there a bank that exists,like the one in brewsters millions,that would ensure all youre money? and pay you alot of interest,in the movie it wass 24%,i know it wouldnt be that much now. the bank was somewhere in new york,i think. if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated.cause if i win - i would hate to haft to find alot of banks to put the money in.100000 per bank. lol

To answer your question first. I dont know what bank you are talking about and where it is. Second, I would not recommend you put all your money in one bank like that. I'm no financial advisor but if a bank provides a high interest like that,that also translates into a higher risk both for you and your bank (because the bank lends the money to other people to earn even more than they are paying you in interest.) Thats just too risky.
      four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8577 Posts
      Posted: December 8, 2004, 11:22 am - IP Logged

On the front door or window of any federal bank in the usa they will list the amount that your money is insured for. I'm pretty sure it is only insured up to $100.000 i found the link below to the insurance corp. This dosent mean that you can't or shouldn't put more that 100,000 thous. in their bank it only means that in the dvent of wall street crashing or bank forclosure that your only insured for 100 grand. This is another reason to hire a financial advisor if you win the lottery for a large amount. They wiil set up accounts in as many banks as necessary to protect your money.

How you're covered
      Here is an overview of the network that's been created to protect your money.

The color=#0000ffFederal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures deposits of virtually all U.S. banks and savings and loan institutions up to $100,000 per customer (individual or business) in the dvent of a bank failure.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
        Member #620
        August 25, 2002
        205 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2004, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

There is a way to deposit up to $5-million in CD's and every dime of it is insured by the FDIC insurance. And, it is done through just one bank.  It's called CDARS, or pronounced cedars.  I got this infomation off of-- Bankrate.com.

So, goto to www.bankrate.com and do a search on their site for CDARS to read all about this method.

After you laid aside $5-million using this source, you could always buy into 5-7 yr. bonds to conserve your bankroll. However, you will not get any where near 24% interest on your money.  At this stage of the game I would be thinking "conservation of principle" and wouldn't worry much about how much interest I could earn.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

Roslindale, MA
          United States
          Member #5377
          July 1, 2004
          138 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2004, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

Keep in mind that movie is about 20 years old (1985, IIRC), and back then interest rates were higher (the prime rate was about 10%, as opposed to 4-5% now - even a simple passbook savings account paid 5% back then - now you'd be lucky to get 1-2%). Plus, even back then I think 24% was just a fictitious number, anyway.

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2004, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

The highest I know of is offered by ING, 2.75%.

(insert signature here)

fwlawrence's avatar - Yavill
              Austin
              United States
              Member #9378
              December 6, 2004
              213 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2004, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

I am sure you could buy additional insurance through the bank for amounts over $100,000.

luckylottolady's avatar - character catafly.jpg

United States
                Member #6028
                August 2, 2004
                53 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2004, 3:00 am - IP Logged

thank you everyone,i appreciate everyone answering my question and helping me. i wondered how that would work,i knew that regular banks insured for 100000. i didnt know if there was a special bank,for people with millions that would ensure for higher amounts. that would be set up for that kind of money.i like the idea about the cdars  cd's. i was going to  find alot of banks and put 100000 in each one.lol. in my name and my husbands name(200000 per bank)if i ever won. and i would  check into getting millions insured ,if they do it. i hope someone on the board wins millions so they can tell us how to do it.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #620
                  August 25, 2002
                  205 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2004, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

Yes, you could deposit up to $5-million in your name under your social security number and your spouse could do the same.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!