Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 6:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jack Whittaker's wife regrets winning

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #972
December 30, 2002
465 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2004, 1:43 pm - IP Logged
Lottery Winner's Wife Regrets Ticket

53 minutes ago

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - The wife of the lottery winner who took home the richest undivided jackpot in U.S. history says she regrets his purchase of the $314.9 million ticket that has thrust her family into the public spotlight.

"I wish all of this never would have happened," Jewel Whittaker told The Charleston Gazette for Tuesday's editions. "I wish I would have torn the ticket up."

Since winning the lottery two years ago, her husband, Jack Whittaker, has been arrested twice for drunken driving and has been ordered into rehab. He pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor assault charge for attacking a bar manager, and is accused in two lawsuits of making trouble at a nightclub and a racetrack.

There have been several thefts involving Whittaker's vehicle, his office and his house in Scott Depot. One of the thefts occurred at his home in September on the same day an 18-year-old friend of Whittaker's granddaughter was found dead there. The death remains under investigation.

Last week Whittaker, 57, reported his granddaughter missing. Putnam County sheriff's Sgt. Lisa Arthur said the granddaughter is not considered a kidnapping victim.

Whittaker took his winnings in a lump sum of $113 million after taxes. He has donated more than $20 million to charity, said his lawyer, Norm Daniels.

United States
    Member #916
    December 12, 2002
    18335 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2004, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I saw his picture on Yahoo...the guy is really in bad shape...

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
      Member #620
      August 25, 2002
      205 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2004, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

A classic example why one show have a game plan ready in case he/she wins a big one. Making a big splash for the news media is the biggest mistake that can follow after hitting it big.  Remember, no knows until you tell them first!

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23277 Posts
        Posted: December 14, 2004, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Already posted here:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/102910.htm

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?