Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall 12-22-04: The Pigskin Challenge

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 12 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
Member #4416
April 22, 2004
1075 Posts
Posted: December 21, 2004, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

The Pigskin Challenge: Select ten numbers from the PowerBall game's 5/53 matrix with the objective of matching as many of the five draw numbers as possible. Pigskin holds the current record of matching three numbers from ten selections. Do better with four or five numbers matched and you inherit the bragging rights. Play ther numbers wisely and you might even score a big win in the PowerBall game.

I'll be using the same red PowerBall number with all the lines that I generate from the following ten numbers:

1-6-7-15-21-22-28-36-38-53

Good luck to all challengers,

aye'

United States
    Member #4416
    April 22, 2004
    1075 Posts
    Posted: December 22, 2004, 5:29 am - IP Logged

As I was buying my PowerBall tickets for tonight's drawing, it dawned on me that I'll need to do a quick turn around on ciphering and buying my tickets. The weather is turning bad here and my usual lottery retailers will close early on Christmas eve. They'll be closed altogether on Christmas. I'm sure I could find a lottery retailer somewhere on Christmas, but I really don't want to hunt all over town. Buy your tickets early and don't get shut out. Christmas 2004 could bring you the biggest present of your life.

Good luck,

aye'

Lee's Summit, Mo.
      United States
      Member #6519
      August 26, 2004
      192 Posts
      Posted: December 22, 2004, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Gee Aye, I feel terrible.  I'm down to 18 numbers and I really like all of them.  Now I think I know what a NFL coach feels like when he has to cut down his roster to meet the league limits.  All those players giving everything they have to make a team and so achieve their dreams and attain fame, glory and fortune.  And the coach has to tell them the didn't make it and in the process squash all their hopes and efforts.  I'm in the same boat.  I have to dismiss 8 numbers to come within the 10 number limit for the Pigskin Challenge.  I can only assume these numbers have feelings too and I have to dump them even though I really like them.  I really feel terrible.  But the Challenge must reign supreme and I'll just have to give 8 of these numbers the bad news even though its the Christmas season.  I feel terrible.  Nevertheless, good luck to all.

Lee's Summit, Mo.
        United States
        Member #6519
        August 26, 2004
        192 Posts
        Posted: December 22, 2004, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

My 10 numbers are...2,10,15,18,21,28,38,42,43 and 53.  PB...21.  Good luck to all challengers.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
          Member #91
          January 19, 2002
          11931 Posts
          Posted: December 22, 2004, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

alright i'm in:

1,10,14,17,27,32,43,49,51,52 Powerball:11

Good luck if your really playing!!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: December 22, 2004, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

Voici...2-8-13-15-32-34-37-42-49-50

United States
              Member #4416
              April 22, 2004
              1075 Posts
              Posted: December 23, 2004, 1:21 am - IP Logged

There were three winning tickets sold on the PowerBall game. They were in Pennsylnania (Imagine that!), Arizona, and Nebraska. Is it any wonder? They were all birthday numbers.  2-7-11-24-31 & 18

Pigskin's record still stands. The best any of us did was to match one number. Pigskin and JAG called the 2 ball, and I had the 7.

Better luck to all next time,

aye'

Lee's Summit, Mo.
                United States
                Member #6519
                August 26, 2004
                192 Posts
                Posted: December 23, 2004, 10:03 am - IP Logged

The Chief wants to increase the numbers from 10 to 12 to accomodate his selection process.  I have no objection.  What do you think Aye and Jag?

Greenwich, CT
                  United States
                  Member #4793
                  May 24, 2004
                  1822 Posts
                  Posted: December 23, 2004, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I've no objection.  The odds of having all five numbers within 12 selections are 1:3,623, a significant improvement from matching five out of ten. 

United States
                    Member #4416
                    April 22, 2004
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: December 23, 2004, 11:27 am - IP Logged

pigskin,

You set the bar using ten numbers. I actually changed my selection process to get down to ten numbers. I think it was a good thing because I actually play my numbers. The way I'm generating my lines, that tenth number is actually a stretch. I don't think I could do a very effective job of putting twelve numbers into play because  I wouldn't have enough coverage with the number of lines I'm playing. If we go to twelve numbers,it would take me considerably more lines to get the same coverage, and a challenger would have to match four (3.6 rounded up) to just equal your standard. Then we'd basically just be trying to see who could pick five numbers. Based on the standard set by your three numbers from ten, the upper limit on the size of the selection field would have to be sdventeen (16.66 rounded up). If we're just trying to see who can match five from a field of sdventeen, it pretty much defeats the objective we started out to meet; that is, to meet  or exceed the standard you set using a small field of numbers which happens to be ten. After all, aren't we trying to sharpen our prediction skills by working within the constraints of few numbers rather than many numbers? 

I'm not a ginner. I just think that going to twelve numbers would make the challenge rather pointless. You guys can use twelve numbers if you want, but I'll have to play along using only ten. I won't put up numbers that I can't put into play.  I'd be sick if I actually had all five numbers among twelve and didn't have enough coverage to stand a chance of cashing in.

Are there any other reasons for going to twelve numbers?

Good luck,

aye'

Greenwich, CT
                      United States
                      Member #4793
                      May 24, 2004
                      1822 Posts
                      Posted: December 23, 2004, 11:59 am - IP Logged

I have a nebulous selection process, at best.  I've refined my excel spreadsheets to about 10 worksheets of number groups.  I also use another 20 worksheets in a bell curve analysis to filter by sums, odds/evens, items of that nature.  So, my numbers are not always set in stone, but they are the ten or twelve that I view as most likely.  Plus, I only play one or two lines, so I could easily miss out on a big win even if I had all five in my selection. 

Maybe Aye can throw in two random numbers, or Chief can post only ten of his twelve numbers.  I do not think that the integrity of the challenge would be compromised either way. 

Or we could post eleven numbers.  There has to be middle ground somewhere on which we can all agree.

Most importantly we do not need to let this tear the challenge apart.

JAG   

Lee's Summit, Mo.
                        United States
                        Member #6519
                        August 26, 2004
                        192 Posts
                        Posted: December 23, 2004, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

O.K., let's just keep it at 10.  Chief can post his 12 under another topic and select 10 out of his 12 for the challenge. 

United States
                          Member #4416
                          April 22, 2004
                          1075 Posts
                          Posted: December 23, 2004, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

JAG331, pigskin, kbcherokee, et al

I wasn't trying to be a grinch. I was just trying to keep the challenge meaningful and promote improved prediction skills. I'd be glad to have the Chief as a participant in the challenge. In fact, I think I've come up with a way that he can use his twelve numbers. Actually, under these proposed new rules, I'd like to drop down to using just nine numbers for my selection field. Here's what I have in mind.

The Pigskin Challenge

1. A challenger must declare himself to be a participant in the challenge for the current PowerBall drawing when posting his numbers.
                          2. A declared challenger must select a field of at least five numbers and no more than sixteen numbers from the 5/53 matrix of the PowerBall game.
                          3. A minimum of three draw numbers must be matched in order to be in contention for meeting or beating the current benchmark of the challenge. (Sorry, no one or two number matches will be considered for equaling or surpassing the  challenge standard.)
                          4. Additionally, in order to equal the challenge standard, the percentage of numbers matched from a challenger's chosen field must be equal to the percentage established by the current title holder (that being 30%) with no rounding up of percentages.
                          5. In order to be the title successor, a challenger must match three, four, or five numbers AND have a percentage of numbers matched from his field which is greater than 30% with no rounding up of percentages.
                          6. The standard for the number of matches and the percentage of numbers matched from a challenger's chosen field shall increase as established by each title successor.

How's that folks? Is that fair and inclusive enough? Let's give it a try for the Christmas day PowerBall drawing. I hope to have your feedback and participation.

Good luck,

aye'