Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interesting Question.

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2005, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Is there any significance to why most lotteries hold their Lotto game drawings on Wednesdays and Saturdays?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
    Member #89
    January 18, 2002
    2092 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2005, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps folks are running out of their paycheck on Wednsday and Friday is usually pay day, so Saturday is the gotcha before the store gets the sales--- Just financial sense on the part of the lottery commissions and ego thinking on the part of the people buying the tickets?

Teufellj...

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8360 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2005, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

If a week had 8 days they would be four days apart. People wanted the lottery drawing twice a week it started out on a Saturday. Then they chose Wednesday. My guess is as teufellj's because a lot of people also get paid on Wednesday especially local state and government employees. So they know many people will have ready cash available.

Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2005, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

could be. i know some states will hold their big game drawings on tues/fri or mon/thurs. i personally like how DE did theirs with mon/wed/fri thing. 2-3 days between drawings.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

lottoshlep's avatar - super 7-top-over.jpg
          BC
          Canada
          Member #2120
          August 19, 2003
          258 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2005, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm ... there maybe another good reason for this. Wednesdays excluded of course, but having the draws on Sat (CDN weekly Super7 is on Fridays) allows the Lotto Corps to delay JackPot payout by a day or two. Thus they will collect interest on the funds since the Lotto offices (and banks) don't open till Monday!!

Lemme see, how much $$ would that be on say a $10 Mil JP at today's rates?!   

By way of example: $10M @5%per annum = $1,369.86 per day, a tidy little sum I'd say  ... delay 52 JP's that way and ....  you do the math 

A penny saved is ... well, you know the rest

if at first you don't succeed ... destroy all evidence you ever tried  Cool 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19818 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2005, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

When Ohio first started its lottery drawings they were big week end dvents, and when they went to twice a week, it was normal to go to mid-week or Wednesday for the second drawings.  I think most lotteries started that way.  When BigGame (MegaMillions) came along, it took Tuesday and Friday so not to conflict with PowerBall.

RJOh

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
              USA
              United States
              Member #8242
              October 29, 2004
              1133 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2005, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Teufellj, and I think RJoh is right also.

Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: January 12, 2005, 12:44 am - IP Logged

i think mega millions also took tuesday and friday so lotteries would not have to move their lotto drawings to different dates.

Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: January 12, 2005, 12:46 am - IP Logged

hence why PA needs to move lucky for life lotto to monday and thursday if they ever want to see a rise in sales. think about it. you could get two plays for powerball, which pays a higher top prize, and has better chances to win, or you could get one play for lucky for life lotto for the same price, and unless you get the instant win, face crappy odds to win a prize, and the top prize pays out darn near jack.

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: January 12, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

EW:

Unlucky for Life needs to be scrapped.