Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which change in Megamillions or Powerball

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: January 27, 2005, 1:16 am - IP Logged

I was wondering what change in Megamillions or Powerball would be worse for most players. A change in the odds to be between 150 and 180 million to one or changing the price. I personally would hope they would NOT change the price since that's one form of inflation I dont want to see.

United States
    Member #379
    June 5, 2002
    11296 Posts
    Posted: January 27, 2005, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

diva:

I expect the next change to both games to be a doubling of price.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
      Member #4416
      April 22, 2004
      1075 Posts
      Posted: January 27, 2005, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva,

Most players are pretty much oblivious or indifferent to the odds of the big jackpot games like Powerball and Mega Millions.  If the odds made much of a difference to any of us, we probably wouldn't be playing these games at all because we'd be concerned about the huge disparity between odds of the games and the payoff odds, particularly for the secondary prizes. Most people recoginze that dumb luck is a huge factor and they just hope that luck will smile on them.

I wouldn't think it wouldn't be very smart in the case of either game to raise the price of tickets. It's just not a good PR move. I don't think it's a player affordability issue because people who couldn't afford the increase probably don't have any business playing anyway. Most players would continue to spend just as much or more. I think it's more likely that the games would extend the term of annuity payments to forty or fifty years. This would effectively increase the cost to players without overtly raising ticket prices. That way they could advertise larger jackpots for the same amount of money that they're currently handling. And jackpot winners who might select the cash option would get an even smaller cash value payment compared to current cash values.

Good luck,

aye'

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: January 27, 2005, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

exactly. most people just care about the jackpot.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: January 28, 2005, 11:18 am - IP Logged

In the case of NY Lotto 6/59, too few care about the paltry lower prizes.