Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball/Mega Milions Jackpots

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 12 years ago by MMGuy.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Should Powerball and/or Mega Millions raise the starting jackpot to $20 million?

Yes. [ 18 ]  [64.29%]
No. [ 10 ]  [35.71%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2005, 2:00 am - IP Logged

$10 million may be a lot, but for the odds, as well as the fact that the number of states joining those games is resultin in jackpots getting hit more often, which leads to low jackpots compared to a few years ago. Should Powerball and/or Mega Millions raise their starting jackpots to $20 million?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
    Member #2338
    September 17, 2003
    2063 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2005, 3:20 am - IP Logged

The sales don't support a higher starting jackpot. The problems with the games getting hit more often is a flaw in the current games not the starting pot. Only way to change it is to change the game (or the price of the game). I've been hoping they change either game for quite a while now. The only reason The Big Game (the lottery megamillions came from) had such a large pot was it was in very few states and so had few players. As the games have added players from joining states the games haven't changed the odds so the average pot keeps going down with no end in sight and record jackpots are a thing of the past.

United States
      Member #8747
      November 16, 2004
      213 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2005, 11:31 am - IP Logged

All I need to be set for life is 10M.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2005, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on January 31, 2005

Should Powerball and/or Mega Millions raise their starting jackpots to $20 million?

No.  Players who prefer a $20M+ jackpot can wait 2 or 3 draws, players who prefer an even higher jackpot can wait a little longer.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
          Virginia
          United States
          Member #1712
          June 20, 2003
          1549 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2005, 1:57 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on January 31, 2005

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on January 31, 2005

Should Powerball and/or Mega Millions raise their starting jackpots to $20 million?

No.  Players who prefer a $20M+ jackpot can wait 2 or 3 draws, players who prefer an even higher jackpot can wait a little longer.

RJOh

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

United States
            Member #10438
            January 13, 2005
            431 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2005, 1:59 pm - IP Logged

lol nevermind the $  let em lessen the odds some

plnwebguy's avatar - binary

United States
              Member #3680
              February 11, 2004
              187 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2005, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

This is a little off topic, but something I've always wondered about - do they have minimum increase amounts for Powerball and Mega Millions the first couple draws after they start at $10 million?  For example, if there's no winner when it's at $10 million, will there be an automatic jump of say $2 million minimum to $12 million even if the amount sold doesn't warrant that type of jump.  It seems like Mega Millions especially always goes from $10 million to $12 m to $18 m and then at different levels after that.

thanks,
              plnwebguy

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2005, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

webguy:

Both jackpots increase from 10m to 12m and then increase by sales.

Yinzer Country, PA
                  United States
                  Member #4067
                  March 18, 2004
                  2741 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2005, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

there actually is a minimum rollocer amount of $2 million.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #2338
                    September 17, 2003
                    2063 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2005, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

While I agree that players can wait for a larger jackpot is the way to go, waiting for 3 years is a bit much (the last time a jackpot was 300 miilion).

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2005, 5:37 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by codmander on January 31, 2005

lol nevermind the $ let em lessen the odds some

You could lessen the odds even more by playing state lotteries instead of powerball/megamillions. That's what those games are for and some offer pots larger than mega/powerball are usually at like the NY or CA lotteries. If you don't like the game than don't play.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2005, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

diva:

I _do_not_ recommend NY Lotto since only 38%-40% is returned in the form of prizes.

Yinzer Country, PA
                          United States
                          Member #4067
                          March 18, 2004
                          2741 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2005, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

CA's Super Lotto Plus has a similar play style to powerball, and a third the odds. The reason their jackpot is always comparable to that of Powerball or Mega Millions is that CA has such a huge population that they generate sales comparable to Powerball or Mega Millions. The population can have its disadvantages as well. Several times has the jackpot been hit on consecutive drawings, and the jackpot has come close to $100 million, but it doesn't reach $100 million nearly as often as Powerball or Mega Millions.

Greenwich, CT
                            United States
                            Member #4793
                            May 24, 2004
                            1822 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2005, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

I've always thought that the reason for the $10 million to $12 million to $18 million increase went like this:

The first drawing on a new jackpot, PB and MM pay out $10 million if someone wins.  But they've only got $6 million to contribute to the jackpot from sales.  Oops, dip into the emergency fund for $4 million.  That rarely happens.

Next drawing, things are back to normal....the same $6 million from sales to the jackpot brings the level to $12 million....$18 million  the third draw and so on.  

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2005, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

Less than 40% of sales to the players really stinks.

The 10 to 12 jump is just due to sales. If they sell more (like after a large jackpot is won) it goes from 10 to 13 or higher.

While CA's lottery may not go to 100 million as often I'm just tired of people whining about megamillions or powerball's odds. Yes they are very bad but other games exist. Other games with much lower jackpots. The whole point to Megamillions or Powerball is to have a large jackpot and it's been 3 years since they broke 300 million.