Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you think of this idea?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What do you think of my idea on what to do about computerized drawings (See post below.)?

Hate it. [ 8 ]  [42.11%]
Like it. [ 8 ]  [42.11%]
Love it. [ 3 ]  [15.79%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2005, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Ok. Here's my idea. A few of you may have read my idea before.

Instead of using computerized drawings, the states would use ball machines, but to cut the costs they would not televise the drawings. They would make the drawings available on the web. No contracts with TV stations would be needed since all you really need is a digital video camera and tapes. DV cams cost $300, and tapes cost approx. $5-10. This way, the states save money by not televising the drawings, but they are still using a legitimate way of drawing winning numbers, which will win back player support.

Go to www.nhlottery.org and view the drawings there to see what I mean.

Now that you have read my idea, what do you think?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
    Houston, TX
    United States
    Member #9841
    December 23, 2004
    236 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2005, 2:48 am - IP Logged

that's an excellent idea.  I can't see why lottery officials wouldn't do that. 

I think the majority of lottery players are older people that either don't use computers or don't know how to use one.  Maybe they'll start doing it in 20 years.  =)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2005, 10:47 am - IP Logged

true,the idea is awesome,but some of the lottery players are either very old or in poor parts where they don't have access to the internet........

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8359 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2005, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Ew like Mike said and then there are those people who work with computers every day and when the get home from work the last thing they want to do is surf the net. Televised lotterys althought costly is the best way for the general public to view the drawings. Md has a video drawing on their website for people whom wish to see the drawing. In so many years since they have had it i might have wiewed it online like 10 times and only because i didn't catch the live drawing. Most states have phone numbers to call and check tickets as well. Regardless of the cost to sponser a live tv drawings the lottery has plenty of cash for it. And is a part of their operating cost. Now if only we could be assured that the tv stations would televise the drawing as per their contract and not allow the network to omit the drawing because of sport games or curent news bulletins.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2005, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Doc,

It takes one minute to conduct a lottery drawing on TV.  And don't you think that helps their ratings enough to offset the cost of conducting that drawing.  We are very fortunate in IL to have Linda Kollmeier conduct a lot of the draws on WGN and if you ever saw her and heard her bubbling enthusiasm you'd know what I'm talking about.

So I voted "hate it".  But yours is a better solution than untelevised computer-generated drawings.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2005, 12:35 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Rick G on February 5, 2005

Doc,

It takes one minute to conduct a lottery drawing on TV.  And don't you think that helps their ratings enough to offset the cost of conducting that drawing.  We are very fortunate in IL to have Linda Kollmeier conduct a lot of the draws on WGN and if you ever saw her and heard her bubbling enthusiasm you'd know what I'm talking about.

So I voted "hate it".  But yours is a better solution than untelevised computer-generated drawings.

My natural curiosity just had to find out about Linda Kollmeyer.

Found a picture Here.
              emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31337 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2005, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

hate it.

love to nibble those micey feet.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1272 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I like it by the way.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2005, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Millions,

I'm glad you approve.  Not only is she a hottie, but she's an aerobics instructor and is the most positive person you'll ever meet.  I've never met her personally, but my buddy who did the lottery drawings for WGN says she is exactly like that in person.

I have won most of my winnings when she has conducted the draw.  I would not feel the same way about a computer and would probably play only if I knew she was doing the draw. 

Not trying to sound sexist here but a beautiful woman with an outstanding personality....well what can I say except that her husband is a lucky man and has won his own lottery    and WGN gets my Nielson ratings for her presence.

Nassau
                    Bahamas
                    Member #1713
                    June 20, 2003
                    700 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2005, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

Rick that's not the same here in The Bahamas. Most Bahamians I have spoken to said that when she conducts the drawing they don't win. Some- times I wonder what she's smiling at . I Like John Conrad. But to each his own!

mrmst's avatar - disney14
                      Glen Burnie, MD
                      United States
                      Member #427
                      June 27, 2002
                      208 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2005, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

While not a bad idea, I don't think this is a solution to the main problem.  The perception that the drawing can be rigged would still exist since the tape of the drawing could easily be altered, or multiple drawings made until they get the results they want.  Unless it is available live on free tv, with at least one witness, there will be the thought in mind that it could be fixed.

I think they have to just bite the bullet and spend a tiny portion of their huge profits on credibility.  It is just as important as advertising - in fact, the live tv drawings ARE advertising!!!!

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                        USA
                        United States
                        Member #8242
                        October 29, 2004
                        1133 Posts
                        Posted: February 6, 2005, 5:30 am - IP Logged

Annual Payments, LottoMike, mrmst

I voted I like it though.

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                          United States
                          Member #520
                          July 27, 2002
                          5699 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Mrmst, my thoughts exactly...well put.

Belgium
                            Member #2220
                            September 2, 2003
                            553 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2005, 4:04 am - IP Logged

I see a problem with publicity for those lotteries when not screened on tv.

Every draw broadcasted on tv is also a fantastic commercial to persuade those millions of people who don't or rarely play lotto games.

I believe this would lead to less players... less profit, for those lotteries. Meaning that jackpot prizes would lower.

Justin's avatar - hatchap
                              Stevens Point
                              United States
                              Member #6457
                              August 24, 2004
                              3030 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2005, 4:46 am - IP Logged

Hmmm. still seems a bit fishy. ugh, just air em' on tv. lol

I believe life is about finding someone you cant live without

And showing them how much you care every day of every month of every year