Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket Buying.

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Where do you buy your tickets?

I stay loyal to one store. [ 7 ]  [28.00%]
I buy from whichever store I'm close to. [ 14 ]  [56.00%]
The same store is the one that's close to me. [ 4 ]  [16.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 25 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
Yinzer Country, PA
United States
Member #4067
March 18, 2004
2741 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Do you buy your tickets from the same store, or do you buy your tickets from whichever store you are close to at the moment?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

GoArmy's avatar - redcross
    Waukegan, IL
    United States
    Member #8043
    October 22, 2004
    753 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2005, 12:18 am - IP Logged

I always go to the same place unless I'm too far away to get my tickets in time. The guys at the store even let me print my own tickets when I dont want to fill out play slips. Their machine went down a month ago and I felt like I couldn't trust the new place.

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
      light on my feet
      United States
      Member #356
      May 20, 2002
      2744 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2005, 12:49 am - IP Logged

not always the same place.  i mix it up only because i might be in a different location when i am ready.

two things i do though  everytime;

(1)  i always play as far away from my home as possible for obvious reasons.

(2)  i always target stores that could use the notoriety/money.  not big name retailers who stiff the employee's when they win.

VISION peoplewithvisionliveforanappointedtime

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2005, 10:23 am - IP Logged

There are several stores that I buy my tickets from. I may even cash my winnings at a different store than where I brought it from. I was told by one store owner that she doesn't get her cut from my winning ticket when I do that, but I also don't get her telling everyone that walks into her store that I won and how much I won either.  LOL

litebets27

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
          Virginia
          United States
          Member #1712
          June 20, 2003
          1549 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2005, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Litebets27:

I thought regardless of where you cash a "winning" ticket at, the number on that particular ticket, shows where that ticket was bought. Therefore, the State Lottery would send that store the money once the store submitted the ticket to them for payment. At least thats what we were told when we were talking to Va. State Lottery in regards to installing VA. State Lottery in our store.

If you have ever noticed when you cash in a winning ticket, the store prints out a receipt and staples it to the winning ticket. That goes to the State Lottery.

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

Maryland
            United States
            Member #10465
            January 14, 2005
            6065 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2005, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Hi Chief,

You are right. Those numbers do indicate where the ticket was purchased from and the store gets it's 1% cut or so. But I think this owner just likes to let everyone know when someone wins and how much they've won. I have won several times in her store but I'll cash it somewhere else. One day she was telling me about one of her customers who had just won 100,000.00 on some hit she had. She was even telling me where she lived. I don't really think all of that was any of my business. I mean, think of the safety factur there.

litebets27

kbcherokee's avatar - buffalo2
              Virginia
              United States
              Member #1712
              June 20, 2003
              1549 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged
              Quote: Originally posted by Litebets27 on February 7, 2005

Hi Chief,

You are right. Those numbers do indicate where the ticket was purchased from and the store gets it's 1% cut or so. But I think this owner just likes to let everyone know when someone wins and how much they've won. I have won several times in her store but I'll cash it somewhere else. One day she was telling me about one of her customers who had just won 100,000.00 on some hit she had. She was even telling me where she lived. I don't really think all of that was any of my business. I mean, think of the safety factur there.

litebets27

Litebets:

You are absolutely right. she should keep her mouth shut... If the truth is known, she could get in serious trouble if something bad were to happen regarding her "loose" mouth. There's ways of putting out the word, but being descreet about it.

I'm sure she is telling everyone that to get more people to "buy" tickets. Therefore, increasing her chances of selling more winning tickets and win more $.

I'm trying my best to determine which numbers are going to "hit" for Tuesday's MM Drawing now. Right now I'm down to 15-possible regular numbers, with 8-probable MB Numbers.

Chief

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house. May  the Great Spirit bless all who enter there. May your mocassins make happy tracks in many snows. And may the rainbow always touch your shoulder.

Maryland
                United States
                Member #10465
                January 14, 2005
                6065 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2005, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Good luck Chief, I'm about to work on that now. I usually buy my MM tickets at her store because I usually get a winning ticket from  random picks there, usually small wins, but wins nevertheless.

lol to all.

litebets27

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                  Member #91
                  January 19, 2002
                  11927 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

I usually play my own numbers so I buy them at the same store.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #620
                    August 25, 2002
                    205 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2005, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

I like to buy my tickets out of town if I can.  I will even play my favorite numbers for up to 15 draws. That way, if I should be lucky enough to hit 1st or 2nd place, I have some breathing room before I claim the prize.  However, I have 3 lotto stations within 3 blocks of where I live that I visit to shore up my favorite numbers with quick picks.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1272 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2005, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tickets at several stores.

I got four stores which sells lottery tickets in the close vicinity.

One of the reasons is the same as Litebets27. If I win I want to stay as anonymous as possible.

In Norway winners has the option of being anonymous, but it would be possible for my nearest lotto station to identify me if I won a larger prize.

So I prefer to buy the tickets in a nation wide newsagent chain which got two stores in my town.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                        chicago ill.
                        United States
                        Member #3600
                        February 4, 2004
                        337 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2005, 8:01 am - IP Logged

I buy at a couple of different places all of the time but when I win a sizable amount...I go to the jewel/dominicks (grocerie chain) customer service desk because they always have enough money on hand to pay me in full....and "they" keep their mouths shut.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                          Houston, TX
                          United States
                          Member #9841
                          December 23, 2004
                          236 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I try not to buy tickets from major stores...like major grocery stores.  I try to buy them from local places.  There's this one convenient store owned by the father of a girl I graduated with.  I'd like to win from buying a ticket there because that means we both won :-)

Plus it's across town from me.  But I also try to buy in other cities if I'm out. 

Millions!  u should get press so u can be nationally famous.  And keep it up and have paparazzi follow u taking pics *snap* *snap*

Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #1610
                            June 3, 2003
                            668 Posts
                            Posted: February 10, 2005, 2:56 am - IP Logged

I like to vary where I get my tickets whenever possible.

It's somewhat disturbing to me that where I live many of the new lottery terminals only sell quick-picks ...for that reason I try and keep track of those retailers that still have card reading machines for playing my own number selections.

Card reading lottery terminals seem to be getting more difficult to find.  No more than half of the places I get tickets still allow me to choose my-pick number sets. The rest have become quick-pick only sellers.

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                              mrmst's avatar - disney14
                              Glen Burnie, MD
                              United States
                              Member #427
                              June 27, 2002
                              208 Posts
                              Posted: February 10, 2005, 6:55 am - IP Logged

With few exceptions, I buy my tickets at the same liquor store all the time.  They know me there and are well versed in how to run the machine.  Sometimes when you go into grocery stores or other places that don't sell a lot of tickets the clerk is not very experienced.  I buy large quantities of tickets for work pools and it is important to have someone who knows what they are doing.  For instance, if I ask for 100 Mega Millions quick picks, I want 20 quantity $5 tickets, not 100 separate tickets since I have to scan them in and distribute to members of the pool.

I also like the idea that if we should win big, that a small local business benefits from the win also.

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer