Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer Help Please!!

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

My computer keeps giving Explorer fault messages also..OLEAUT32.dll will not open and then when I try to access the computer tools, it gives a message WINNT32/WINNT32A.DLL is corrupt or not functioning.  Update Windows Explorer.  When I try to update, I run into the same problem again..I tried booting the update disk by cutting off the computer with the disk in the drive but no luck.  Does anyone know anything that I can do? Also, I tried to copy PC Repair to a disk that I could load up, but I must have the wrong kind of disks?  Is there another kind that I can copy a program to? I have CD-R disk but they won't copy so that a program can be run on any pc.  Please Help Me..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20119 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

if your running in microsoft, go to the help program and reset your computor to an earlier check point, when your computor was working  and see if that helps...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

How do I do that?

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #2218
        September 1, 2003
        5387 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Littleoldlady,

Programs >

Accessories>

System Tools>

System Restore>

Select an earlier date and reboot>

Winsum

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20119 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

the "start" button on the bottom left. go to all programs, see "help" & support  click on it will come up, see reset to earlier date, click on the comp will do the rest..

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

United States
            Member #89
            January 18, 2002
            2092 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2005, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Hi Littleoldlady,

if you have your windows install disk it will go into repair mode with all sorts of extra utility help sections. If you do have this disk, put it into cd-rom drive and completely -turn off- your machine! Wait about 15 or 20 seconds. Make sure that your monitor is turned off when you restart---about 3 seconds then turn on the monitor.

I had a like situation and stairstepped my power so that if there were a corrupt program, I could ease into the "POST" screen (Power On Self Test) and jump into my BIOS Area. What happens in BIOS is a program to see what is working or should be active. Unless you have used this area before---Do Not Make Any Changes! You can go into the control panel that should be listed in your Start Menu or go to "My Computer" for the same Control Panel link. Once there (control Panel) go to the SYSTEM INFORMATION Icon and punch --Properties and go from there.

All of the above information will help! Another thing that you can do is check everything that you can about your modem---unplug it, wait a couple seconds then plug it back in. Here's something else to check; go to the aol icon in the toolbar and right click, you will see--System Information there too; click on that link and it will come up with an array of headings at the top of the page. Go to the --Utilities heading and you will bring up---clear browser cache; click that tab and your old information in the cache will be cleared---doesn't remove anything except some old cookies and other junk. Below this tab is the Uninstall aol adapter--do the same thing again. Now all of this last info is assuming that you use aol, if not there will be similar pages to do the same things I gave you. Sometimes a modem will give itself a headache thru the browser cache and you must trace all apparant items connected with your modem wether it is an installed unit or an external one---if all of this stuff fails---Reinstall your modem and connectivity programs. You have to have your pc recognize your modem and then whatever ISP-internet service provider that you use--must also recognize the unit too. I have found that one area (the pc) can recognize my modem and the isp may or may not---in any case your internet program will sortof work and won't tell you about it until you have a problem.

There is quite a bit more information that I can relate to you but for the present try what I have given or maybe someone else is a little more experienced and can help you. It's best not to swear at your pc if things don't pan out because you will lose direction of what you can accomplish--Been there, done that! Another item that helps is to unclog as much old programs; desk top items, etc., and run a defragmentation sweeper. Your pc will co-operate a lot easier if it can breathe!

Teufellj...

Clarksville
              United States
              Member #487
              July 15, 2002
              17638 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2005, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

That is the crux of the matter, I can't go online and I don't use aol.  I am running windows 98.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2005, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

If you're using Windows 98, then the comments above about checks points do not apply.

If you have your original WIndows 98 CD, maybe you could do a reinstall, but as an update (so you don't loose your settings).

Then, you'd have to do a Windows Update afterwards in order to get all the latest patches installed again.

The other thing to try first is to run a couple of good spyware programs and anti-virus.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Clarksville
                  United States
                  Member #487
                  July 15, 2002
                  17638 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2005, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all.  We r trying everything.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                    USA
                    United States
                    Member #8242
                    October 29, 2004
                    1133 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2005, 1:56 am - IP Logged

Yes if you do end up reformatting your computer (using recovery disks), just make sure you save all important files to a separate disk or external hard drive, unless you have a D-drive that won't be deleted during reformatting. Reformatting will make your computer as it was the very first day.

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                      Member #5599
                      July 13, 2004
                      1185 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2005, 8:48 am - IP Logged

Microsoft does have a help line you know. A bit of a wait on the the phone, but I think you'll find them to very helpful. They've always taken very good care of me.

It sounds like you'll have to re-install explorerer.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

United States
                        Member #379
                        June 5, 2002
                        11296 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2005, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I wish I could be of help.