Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a lottery jackpot..........

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Would you form a trust and remain anonymous?

Yes , I would stay away from the public eye. [ 40 ]  [83.33%]
No, I would go public. [ 8 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2005, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Despite the option of forming a blind trust and remaining anonymous, it seems like many people are going public instead.  What are your thoughts?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3090 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2005, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

In oregon you can not form a trust to collect winnings you have to be an actual person with winning ticket in hand to collect.  But I would not do the press conference or t.v. interviews that the lottery and local news want.  The only thing I would want them to know is the place were the ticket is sold and name of winner which is required by state law. 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2005, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

My understanding in Wisconsin is that you have no choice. The lottery is a public function. The winners are public knowledge. ANyone can find out who won by making an inquiry. Winning lottery jackpots is something the state govts run, and therefore must be open public knowledge.  This is why so many immediately have to change their telephone numbers and even move their residences. The first thing that happens is you get bombarded with mail and phone calls from every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants you to contribute something to their "special cause".

The first thing a jackpot winner needs to learn is how to say the word "No".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
        Houston, TX
        United States
        Member #9841
        December 23, 2004
        236 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2005, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Oh i'd go public whether I have to or not.  I'd also do TV interviews and hope that tha paparazzi would follow me and take pics.  I wouldn't mind being in Star magazine :-)

twisted's avatar - underground
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #2376
          September 25, 2003
          582 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2005, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

I voted that I would like to form a trust and would stay away from the public eye but I think in NJ, where I live, you cant claim your prize like that. I could be wrong though.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2005, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

It all depends how much you win. The more you win the harder it will be to avoid attention. I couldn't really care who won some of the smaller lotto jackpots lately. They could take a pic of my lawyer if they want to take someone's pic.

winnerpick3's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
              pasadena MARYLAND
              United States
              Member #11646
              February 20, 2005
              73 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2005, 10:11 am - IP Logged

i have created a system which has picked the winning maryland lottery 3 digit numbers straight 4 times and boxed 3 times since the first of the year it based on historical data and produces the numbers as an annual pick a daily pick and a monthly pick and has been very sucessful

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                Member #9517
                December 10, 2004
                1279 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2005, 11:10 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by winnerpick3 on February 20, 2005

i have created a system which has picked the winning maryland lottery 3 digit numbers straight 4 times and boxed 3 times since the first of the year it based on historical data and produces the numbers as an annual pick a daily pick and a monthly pick and has been very sucessful

Exciting news. We're always looking for ways to beat the lotteries.

Perhaps you should post it in the Pick-3 or Lottosystems group also and tell us your secret!
                  ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                  Philadelphia, PA
                  United States
                  Member #11436
                  February 13, 2005
                  176 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2005, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

i hate people so i would head for the hills never to be heard from again

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: February 24, 2005, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

Maybe I'd buy Skechers ("Superman Sneakers", because of the "S" on the heel).

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                      Member #567
                      August 14, 2002
                      485 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2005, 8:21 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by weshar75 on February 18, 2005

In oregon you can not form a trust to collect winnings you have to be an actual person with winning ticket in hand to collect.  But I would not do the press conference or t.v. interviews that the lottery and local news want.  The only thing I would want them to know is the place were the ticket is sold and name of winner which is required by state law. 

Is this true?  In some places, such as Washington D.C. (December 11, 1999), New Hampshire (February 2004), and Ohio (2003, 2004), lottery jackpots have been claimed in trust, so that the winner could remain anonymous.  But I have noticed that most states (such as my home state of Nebraska) have not ever had an anonymous powerball lottery winner.  Do you think that Jack Whittaker couldn't be anonymous in West Virginia?  The other powerball winners in West Virginia (Bob Cogar, 2002 and Robert Harnell, 2003) also went public.  Is the option of anonymity only limited in some states?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Washington,Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #11416
                        February 13, 2005
                        632 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2005, 4:10 am - IP Logged

If I win jackpot or ever play. I would side outta news,tv all that. Maybe go on Detroit news and gve them money. They can help rebuild Detroit. I would not go on tv.

lazyjim's avatar - redhead
                          White Mountains AZ
                          United States
                          Member #11140
                          February 6, 2005
                          114 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2005, 6:00 am - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by ineed9million on February 20, 2005

i hate people so i would head for the hills never to be heard from again

in9m,  I've done that already, it's nice, but there are annoying people everywhere, just fewer of them in the mountains.  And the ones from back home that you wanted to get away from the most will visit for a week or two instead of just a day because they came so far.

Oregon
                            United States
                            Member #11764
                            February 23, 2005
                            46 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2005, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

If I had the option of staying anonymous I would, but Oregon doesn't allow that. It shouldn't be too bad though, because all you have to release is your name and city. I'd avoid any kind of press conferance. Unless I'm the next Jack Whittaker, I figure people will forget about me in a couple months and they'll be hounding the newer big winners.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2005, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm not as finicky about whether I could stay anonymous than cash/annuity.