Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quickpick..more like quickjip!

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 12 years ago by mrmst.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
Philadelphia, PA
United States
Member #11436
February 13, 2005
176 Posts
Posted: February 22, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Last Saturday I played 12 tickets of powerball.  Since I'm aware that 70% of all jackpot winners do so by quickpick I chose that method.  However, when I looked at my tickets I was surprised to see that my numbers weren't all that random.  Here is what my first line on each play started with

01, 02, 04, 04, 04, 04, 07, 07, 08, 08, 08, 22. 

Now I'm no math genius, but somehow it seems totally ridiculous that something like that would happen.  The odds of getting so many similar numbers in a truly random enviornment would probably be alot higher that winning the powerball.  Needless to say I'm going to use an online random number generator from now on...Any thoughts?

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20238 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2005, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

thats happened to me before when i've gotten them on one ticket. ever since then, when i do get quick-picks, i get them on seperate tickets...

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
      Yinzer Country, PA
      United States
      Member #4067
      March 18, 2004
      2741 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2005, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

i've had similar instances happen. that's why sometimes i will choose some of my numbers, but not all.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
        USA
        United States
        Member #8242
        October 29, 2004
        1133 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2005, 10:30 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by MADDOG10 on February 22, 2005

thats happened to me before when i've gotten them on one ticket. ever since then, when i do get quick-picks, i get them on seperate tickets...

Good idea.
          Morrison, IL
          United States
          Member #4657
          May 13, 2004
          1884 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2005, 10:53 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by ineed9million on February 22, 2005

Last Saturday I played 12 tickets of powerball.  Since I'm aware that 70% of all jackpot winners do so by quickpick I chose that method.  However, when I looked at my tickets I was surprised to see that my numbers weren't all that random.  Here is what my first line on each play started with

Now I'm no math genius, but somehow it seems totally ridiculous that something like that would happen.  The odds of getting so many similar numbers in a truly random enviornment would probably be alot higher that winning the powerball.  Needless to say I'm going to use an online random number generator from now on...Any thoughts?

Geez, were you in the wrong place at the wrong time!
            Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23351 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2005, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

The reason you get groupings is because a computer is generating the random numbers - not something that computers are particularly good at!  One of the reasons I don't think they should be used to conduct lottery drawings either!  (This is coming from a computer guy.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2005, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Well, PA's computers are really bad at making quick picks, at least worse than NJ. So I wouldn't base quick pick judgements off of Pennsylvania's.

(insert signature here)

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2005, 1:07 am - IP Logged

No combination looks stupid when it wins. True it's a bit odd that it would start like that but I've seen some stupid looking combinations I wish I had played.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8393 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2005, 2:17 am - IP Logged

When we were in the lotto pool for mega millions i told the person the same thing every time they got the tickets from the same machine 100 dollars worh of like numbers. I repeatedly told them to get the tickets from different places so we would have a greater varity of numbers. too much trouble they said so i got out of the pool. So its a good ides to get seperate tickets or in the dvent your going to buy a lot of tickets get them at different locations.

lazyjim's avatar - redhead
                    White Mountains AZ
                    United States
                    Member #11140
                    February 6, 2005
                    114 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2005, 3:32 am - IP Logged

I got one quick pick for the Pick 6 in Arizona last Saturday:

3- 4- 5- 6- 7- 10

Random Schmandom

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #1303
                      March 27, 2003
                      1508 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2005, 7:23 am - IP Logged

George, it seems to me that RNGs very often are not so random when they must produce random numbers in "quick succession". I can only figure it has to do with the program itself. So when you're asking for multiple RNs on one ticket it needs to spit them out in muliliseconds, and I personally wonder if it doesn't "reset" itself (for lack of a better term).

Therefore, whenever getting quickpicks, I agree with others that if you are going to do so, make them separate tickets. You get a better random spread that way.  I usually still pick my own and I figure that even my "personal" random method (even if its nothing more than just letting my pen hit 5 different numbers on the playslip and hitting the first Powerball number my eye lights upon) works as well as anything. I've actually won $100 on Powerball a couple of times just "rapidly hitting 5 numbers" on the playslip. ANd I've never won that much from the terminal's RNG.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Philadelphia, PA
                        United States
                        Member #11436
                        February 13, 2005
                        176 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2005, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

ok so today i got 5 more dollars worth of powerball tickets...this time in delaware.  i mixed it up with 3 lines of my own numbers and two lines of quickpick numbers.  it seems to have helped...everything looks totally random as far as the quickpicks are concerned...

Philadelphia, PA
                          United States
                          Member #11436
                          February 13, 2005
                          176 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2005, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

i forgot to mention, i was getting gas in PA and I was waiting in line behind a little old lady.  She was playing powerball and specifically asked that the cashier put each play on a different ticket...so i got to see some the advice i received in action.  too bad the lady had about 40 plays...it took about 10 minutes for her to get everything done.

USA
                            United States
                            Member #8242
                            October 29, 2004
                            1133 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2005, 8:35 pm - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by lazyjim on February 23, 2005

I got one quick pick for the Pick 6 in Arizona last Saturday:

3- 4- 5- 6- 7- 10

Random Schmandom

Dang
                              USA
                              United States
                              Member #8242
                              October 29, 2004
                              1133 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2005, 8:37 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by ineed9million on February 23, 2005

too bad the lady had about 40 plays...it took about 10 minutes for her to get everything done.

cute