Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball 26-Feb-2005

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 12 years ago by weshar75.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #11879
February 26, 2005
61 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2005, 5:43 am - IP Logged

I was watching the Powerball drawing on Fox61 26-Feb-2005. Mike Pace congratulated the winner of Wednesday's $18.7 million jackpot (but didn't say anything about Idaho, did he?). The camera was on the PowerPlay machine and the ball was about to pass through the last spinners when the picture either went momentarily black then/or directly to a slide showing (among other things) a number 10 in the lower right corner for a few seconds and then a second slide appeared showing the Fox61 logo and the 'techincal difficulties' message. After several seconds there was a brief scene of Mike Pace kind of boogie-ing that lasted only about one second. Shortly thereafter, Fox61 went on with its scheduled airing of MadTV. I didn't pay attention for the next hour because I switched channels to watch the local news. I did watch the last few minutes of MadTV and left the room as the closing credits ran. I returned to the room to find that the Powerball drawing was being aired at 11:59pm ET. I missed everything through the first two white balls.

Did anyone else see anything like this? Was there any explanation prior to the complete airing of the drawing at 11:59?

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
    Member #4416
    April 22, 2004
    1075 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2005, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I missed the televised airing of the PowerBall drawing last night. I ended up getting the results from USA Mega and the Powerball website. I did, however, just watch the video of the drawing on the PowerBall site. I saw no irregularities there, but you're right about Pace not mentioning that the winner of the last drawing was in Idaho.

As for the number 10 you saw, it could be that FOX61 was mistakenly airing part of the last drawing where the 10 actually was drawn. It does indeed sound like a case of local technical difficulties to me.

I would suggest that you you submit your query directly to the people who run the PowerBall drawing at Letters@MUSL.com . They should have an explanation for what you saw.

You might also want to contact WTIC FOX61. If it was a local technical glitch on running the tape, they could tell you about that.

While you're at it, you might as well contact the Connecticut Lottery Corporation at  ctlottery@po.state.ct.us  . Perhaps they monitored the airing of the drawing.

aye'

United States
      Member #11879
      February 26, 2005
      61 Posts
      Posted: February 27, 2005, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

The number 10 in the lower right corner... I think had to do with 10 seconds to go to air time. I think the promotion/production company's name may have been on the slide, too. It was paused there for maybe 3-4 seconds.

About the mention of Tape in your message: are you telling me all/some of the Powerball drawing presented IS NOT LIVE? A friend at work tried to make me believe that over a year ago but I thought he was mistaken. I know I've twice seen the announcement that the drawing wasn't going to happen at the scheduled time due to some technical difficulty (one being that someone wasn't at his security or computer post yet... in NJ?).

Lee's Summit, Mo.
        United States
        Member #6519
        August 26, 2004
        192 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2005, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

I saw the drawing between 10:10 and 10:15 EST and I didn't see anything like you just described.  As I recall, he identified the #s and the PB and that was it.  I wrote the #s down as he announced them and didn't notice anything unusual.

Lee's Summit, Mo.
          United States
          Member #6519
          August 26, 2004
          192 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2005, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I should have said CST since that is the time zone in Mo.

United States
            Member #8747
            November 16, 2004
            213 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2005, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

Yes the live drawing was postponed on my television due to technical difficulites but was aired 15 minutes later at 10:15.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2005, 4:08 am - IP Logged

At least they televise it that's more than most lotteries can claim now. Who knows how Wa. state picks their balls anymore since there are no tapes and no broadcast drawings.

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                Member #4416
                April 22, 2004
                1075 Posts
                Posted: March 6, 2005, 12:18 am - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by NearNewBrit on February 27, 2005

About the mention of Tape in your message: are you telling me all/some of the Powerball drawing presented IS NOT LIVE? A friend at work tried to make me believe that over a year ago but I thought he was mistaken. I know I've twice seen the announcement that the drawing wasn't going to happen at the scheduled time due to some technical difficulty.

NearNewBrit,

I wrote to MUSL about this. Here's my question and their answer:

Q: Are the PowerBall drawings televised live in real time, or are they tape delayed or shown on video tape?

A: Yes, many stations show the draw in real time.

We put up the live signal at 9:59 p.m. Central.  There are about 80 TV
                stations that air the show.  The exact number using that live feed is
                unknown to us.  We also put up a recorded feed at 10:00 p.m. Central and 10:01 p.m. Central using a virtual recorder that immediately plays back the live feed.

I know that some stations do record one of these feeds and will play it
                back later during their newscast.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: March 6, 2005, 1:32 am - IP Logged

The Powerball jackpot was hit yet again tonight, this time in Indiana!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3054 Posts
                    Posted: March 6, 2005, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I wonder if the powerball winner for Indiana tonight will ever collect the jackpot or is it another lost ticket for the state to collect on?  Sounds kinda fun after the problems they have been having that suddenly they hit a jackpot can you smell what they are cookin!