Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To Post or not to Post

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you post your numbers on the predictions page?

Yes, I like to test them [ 15 ]  [36.59%]
Yes, I like to show off [ 2 ]  [4.88%]
No, I'm afraid someone will copy them [ 12 ]  [29.27%]
No, I think I'll be wrong [ 2 ]  [4.88%]
No, I only play QPs [ 1 ]  [2.44%]
Other [ 9 ]  [21.95%]
Total Valid Votes [ 41 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 9 ]  
MA
United States
Member #11452
February 14, 2005
74 Posts
Posted: February 27, 2005, 8:56 am - IP Logged

I'm a little confused as to why people post their predictions on here. If someone picks the same numbers as you, won't that make your winning ticket worth less?

I don't post my numbers because I don't want anyone copying them. If there were some way to set a 24-hour delay, and only have the numbers show up after the terminals close, I think I'd probably post. And maybe CASH only would, too.

Thoughts?

konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3333 Posts
    Posted: February 27, 2005, 9:06 am - IP Logged

With Cash-3, Cash-4 the payouts are a set amount so someone copying your predictions doesn't matter. 

However if you look at the sheer number of predictions posted who's to know which ones are correct which ones are not????  Back to having luck on your side to bring about a win. 

Good luck to everyone!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23273 Posts
      Posted: February 27, 2005, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I assume you're talking about Jackpot-style Lotto games, because it doesn't really matter for the Pick 3, Pick 4, and for some states, Pick 5.

To each their own, but I have no problem posting my numbers, because I sincerely doubt anyone but me is going to play them.  Also, sometimes I want to test a wheel or some method without actually playing the numbers, so anyone is free to use the numbers if they choose.

The predictions page is a way to share ideas and methods, and people use the aggregate data in a number of different ways, not just to play every set of numbers that one person posts.  You want to look at trends and methods, not just singular sets of numbers.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: February 27, 2005, 12:43 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by Bingo Long on February 27, 2005

I'm a little confused as to why people post their predictions on here. If someone picks the same numbers as you, won't that make your winning ticket worth less? 

That's the cost for bragging rights.  Anyone can and many do say after the drawings, I knew those numbers were going to hit, but I didn't or couldn't play them.  Nobody want to hear that or cares what you played after the drawings are over.  If you are picking big winners and want to brag about it,you can after your lottery news conference is posted. Good luck to you.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: February 27, 2005, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

My opinion: Posting an exact combination for a rolling jackpot game = leaving your playslip on the counter at the gas station.  Just not comfortable with it.

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23273 Posts
            Posted: February 27, 2005, 1:23 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by JAG331 on February 27, 2005

My opinion: Posting an exact combination for a rolling jackpot game = leaving your playslip on the counter at the gas station.  Just not comfortable with it.

So, if you're not going to play the numbers -- you're just testing numbers -- then you're not comfortable posting them?

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: February 27, 2005, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I don't test lines for a drawing.  If I jot down 5 numbers in a row and the PB/MM number, I MUST play that line.  What would I do with myself if they ever came up and I hadn't played them? 

I'm more interested in testing banker numbers right now.  In CT Classic Lotto, if you can correctly ID 4 bankers,  you would have to play only 780 lines to guarantee the $9.6 million jackpot (Ok, ok $3 million cold-cash). 

I haven't experimented much with the new wheeling section.  Now I would feel comfortable posting a large wheel of combos, if that were possible. 

As it is, I play about $2-$3 per drawing, so for the Pigskin/MM challenges, I post a number group with 100-1,000 combinations to minimize the risk someone would play one of my exact combos AND win the jackpot (half of my money!).

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19830 Posts
                Posted: February 27, 2005, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

..................As it is, I play about $2-$3 per drawing, so for the Pigskin/MM challenges, I post a number group with 100-1,000 combinations to minimize the risk someone would play one of my exact combos AND win the jackpot (half of my money!).

Now I understand where you are coming from, you don't want to chance having to share the jackpot(your money) with a stranger. 

The most that has been matched in that pig-skin challenge so far has been 3+1, so if anyone had spend $756 to play all the possible combinations of 10 regular numbers and 3 bonus numbers of any of the participants they would have won $150-$200 one time maybe.  Some of the participants post even more numbers which would cost even more to cover and none have consistently picked more than 2 winning numbers.  I hope someone in that challenge gets lucky and wins big one of these days.

RJOh 

Evil Looking       

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23273 Posts
                  Posted: February 27, 2005, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I don't test lines for a drawing.  If I jot down 5 numbers in a row and the PB/MM number, I MUST play that line.  What would I do with myself if they ever came up and I hadn't played them? 

I'm more interested in testing banker numbers right now.  In CT Classic Lotto, if you can correctly ID 4 bankers,  you would have to play only 780 lines to guarantee the $9.6 million jackpot (Ok, ok $3 million cold-cash). 

I haven't experimented much with the new wheeling section.  Now I would feel comfortable posting a large wheel of combos, if that were possible. 

As it is, I play about $2-$3 per drawing, so for the Pigskin/MM challenges, I post a number group with 100-1,000 combinations to minimize the risk someone would play one of my exact combos AND win the jackpot (half of my money!).

I guess everyone has their own thing.  I don't think there's anything wrong with testing numbers (not playing them) - in fact, I think it is much wiser to test theories before playing them.

massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #92
                    January 19, 2002
                    80 Posts
                    Posted: February 27, 2005, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

In Mass its a pari mutual payoff so Bingo Long would be right if he played here .The payoff would be less.

massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #92
                      January 19, 2002
                      80 Posts
                      Posted: February 27, 2005, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

That would be on the daily numbers game.(pick 3 or pick 4)

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5123 Posts
                        Posted: February 27, 2005, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Thank you RJoh and Todd for your perspective....prospective.........(may we all strike GOLD). in the big, big....WORLD of NUMBERS and the VAST game of ......Lotto....and Lottery!!!!!!!!..if.....not gold,......would you settle for GREEN?

First of all, this site is fun and educational at the ...............................same ...................................................................................time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of all it contributes to education.....so WHY not have FUN at the same .......time.....on LOTTERY POST.............................but let us not cheat ...........................cheaaatttttt by coping all those .....test papers from our friends........just to get.....out of high school.......................................study, STUDDDDDDDIIIIIIeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

PSYKOMO

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                          USA
                          United States
                          Member #8242
                          October 29, 2004
                          1133 Posts
                          Posted: February 27, 2005, 6:25 pm - IP Logged
                          Quote: Originally posted by Bingo Long on February 27, 2005

I don't post my numbers because I don't want anyone copying them. If there were some way to set a 24-hour delay, and only have the numbers show up after the terminals close, I think I'd probably post.

I saw JKING propose that idea recently. I agree

About the splitting the $$$ issue in BIG jackpot games, I agree also. I believe thats the main reason why I hardly dont post numbers. I put A LOT of headwork into each draw. One time while I was charting for numbers, I thought to myself, "Man winning millions of dollars really isn't easy. I continued saying to myself imagine if after all this work, I post my numbers, then 1 or 2 people who just pick numbers outta a hat, easily glide thru LP & play my numbers also, it hits, then instead of receiving $112 million (about $56 million after taxes), I only get a third of that cos 2 others played my numbers. Now I'm not that greedy, but the point is HARD WORK. They won on MY HARD WORK. Also to the people who say they wouldnt mind sharing, as long as they get a decent share like 1 million or so, I bet somewhere down the road and on more than one occassion, they will be quietly kicking themselves.

And it doesn't matter how slim the chances of someone playing my numbers and it hits. It only needs to happen ONCE.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                            Houston, TX
                            United States
                            Member #9841
                            December 23, 2004
                            236 Posts
                            Posted: February 27, 2005, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

That's only if u don't take annual payments =)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19830 Posts
                              Posted: February 27, 2005, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't play any of the posted predictions now, but if the time ever comes when the Total simulated cost to play some of them is less than their Total simulated prizes won, I might reconsider. 

RJOh

Evil Looking