Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To INCREASE sales REDUCE the PB Matrix

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 12 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #119
February 19, 2002
527 Posts
Posted: March 6, 2005, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Anybody here have "Powerball Boredom" (PB?) [how ironic the "PB" initials!]

Let me tell you something: yes, PB NEEDS to change but to this:

Pick 5 numbers from 1-38.

Yes, you heard that correctly: 1-38

And ONE number from 1-36.

Yes, this will lower the odds.  But it will INCREASE SALES!

No, it will NOT result in an increase in the amount of winners.  But it WILL result in an increase in the amount of PLAYERS!

How do I know this?  Well, I am not all-knowing, but if "they" REALLY want to infuse this game with EXCITEMENT and PASSION and ZEST AND INCREASE "THEIR" TICKET SALES (profits), then they need to do a 1/38 + 1/36 matrix.

Forget increasing the ticket price to two dollars-- are you crazy?  That's lotto oppression when the odds are ALREADY stacked against us!  Fewer people will buy tickets doubled to two dollars.  Just ask the state lotteries that have done this and you just might find out that they dug a hole they are stuck in (which they won't admit to publicly).

But let's say I'm wrong and "everybody" starts winning with the new 1/38 + 1/36 matrix.  The solution?  Restore it to the matrix it is now. 

Hey Powerball Commmission (and I know you DO read these posts!), do the reduced matrix for 3 months and compare the payouts/winnings to the previous 3 months.  Chances are your profits will DOUBLE (yes, you read that right, too) and payouts will not be as numerous as originally thought.

So if you want ZEST, EXCITEMENT, LOTTO ZEAL, INCREASED SALES, then REDUCE the matrix to 1/38 + 1/36.  What have you got to lose?

If sales are down, people are frustrated.  We need some zest, some excitement, some passion.  We need Powerball FEVER, not Powerball Boredom

Is this against the "rules" of probability, of doing good "business"?  Perhaps it goes against those "rules", those "established standards", but a smart businessperson (note the nonsexist language!) knows that SUCCESSFUL businessperson breaks the rules.  There are some examples of this in business-- there would be more but you have to know what rules to break and how to break them.

Intrigued? 

Let's summarize: you win, we win; we win, you win.

How can you lose?

Greenwich, CT
    United States
    Member #4793
    May 24, 2004
    1822 Posts
    Posted: March 6, 2005, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

Greg,

I have to agree with you that Powerball is due for a change.  These big jackpot games get stagnant and a new matrix is good for everyone.

Your 5/38 + 1/36 matrix results in odds of 1:18,069,912.  Seven times easier to win.  The starting jackpot would need to be reduced to $2 million, and a high roll would hit $30 million once every year or two.  How do you propose that this would infuse zeal and passion into Powerball players? 

United States
      Member #119
      February 19, 2002
      527 Posts
      Posted: March 6, 2005, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Jag,

Why the need to reduce the starting jackpot?  My contention is that by making the changes I proposed that more players will play and that those that play now will spend more.  Why isn't the Powerball Commission publishing data that shows they are losing money?  I believe the reason is that they are not losing money and will not under my suggested changes.  If I'm wrong, show me the money WON, and show me the money LOST.

I fear that the greed mentality that plagues our culture equally plagues how we think about lotteries.  We need to change our thinking about that.  Why do companies who make 5% less profit this year, lay off 500,000 people to "compensate" instead of being satiated by the amount of profit they DID make?  Similarly, why must we reduce the jackpots to "compensate" when with a clever PR campaign we can persuade people who play OTHER lotteries to play Powerball and thereby increase their revenues?

These are just some thoughts I wanted to share...

Greenwich, CT
        United States
        Member #4793
        May 24, 2004
        1822 Posts
        Posted: March 6, 2005, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I think that a $10 million starting jackpot with odds of 1:18,000,000 would put lotteries in the red.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: March 6, 2005, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Greg,

Most states already have a 6/49 game with odds of 1:14M of winning, they add PowerBall or MegaMillions to attract extra players who are interested in larger jackpots.  If PowerBall and MegaMillions become easier to win, their jackpots will be smaller and they will no longer attract those extra players.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2005, 2:09 am - IP Logged

lotteries almost never make the odds easier.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
              Member #379
              June 5, 2002
              11296 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2005, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Increase the white balls, but decrease the Power Balls.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2005, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

i would make powerball a 5/55+1/50 game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2005, 2:10 am - IP Logged

Sure Powerball should decrease their odds while megamillions should increase it's odds. That way all the whinners would finally have a chance to see what things like sales and high jackpots are important to lotteries. As it is Powerball would be the game to play if I played in the 10-20 million jackpot range since that's where it seems to be staying. Anyways the nearest Powerball state to me is Oregon and they have a 9% state income tax.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2005, 9:46 am - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on March 6, 2005

Greg,

Most states already have a 6/49 game with odds of 1:14M of winning, they add PowerBall or MegaMillions to attract extra players who are interested in larger jackpots.  If PowerBall and MegaMillions become easier to win, their jackpots will be smaller and they will no longer attract those extra players.

RJOh

Most states that have Powerball are not large enough to have their own rolling jackpot games though, so it wouldn't be that much of a consequence.  Mega Millions would probably suffer from reducing its odds though, since many of those states have their own jackpot games.
                      dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2005, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

A middle game could happen by a small change to Hot Lotto. Odds of hitting Hot lotto are now 1:10.9 million. It already has pick 1-39 plus pick one of 1-19. If people want to compare sales between the two it's no contest (or it used to be no contest) when powerball had bigger jackpots it had far more sales than hot lotto.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
                        Houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #9841
                        December 23, 2004
                        236 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2005, 12:47 am - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on March 7, 2005

i would make powerball a 5/55+1/50 game.

Oh no!  That would make it worse.  although I'd still play no matter what. 

I wanna win while the matrix is in the player's interest. 

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: March 9, 2005, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Hot Lotto is played in only seven states plus DC.

United States
                            Member #10201
                            January 5, 2005
                            17 Posts
                            Posted: March 16, 2005, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Think about it the lottory is trying to sell me a ticket. by raising the odds

i would buy less tickets. make the lower teir prize worth more

and i might buy more tickets. the odds of hitting a jackpot is almost imppossible

and i want to win . the lottory is makeing plenty of money. i say keep the

jackpot low and raise the lower teir prizes this generates interest. we

are all in it to win , not to just give our money away for nothing. give some back.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: March 17, 2005, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

PB needs a matrix change BAD!!