Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Fortune Cookie Powerball nonsense

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 12 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lee's Summit, Mo.
United States
Member #6519
August 26, 2004
192 Posts
Posted: April 3, 2005, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

If someone tells me something, I'll generally believe it if it makes sense.  I'm very skeptical about this fortune cookie explanation about the multitude of PB winners.  In a recent posting, I noted that in my area the lottery commission was running ads trying to get players to buy tickets when the jackpot was at or near the minimum $10 mil because $10 mil is still a whole lot of money to the lottery player masses and it makes no sense to wait until the jackpot hits $50 mil to play as most of the players seem to be doing.  And this ad coincided with many low jackpot winners.  Coincidence?  Then we have 110 winners of $100,000 or more a week ago.  More coincidence?  Consider this.  The PB commission said it stemmed from a fortune cookie.  But note that just a couple of states had practically all the $100 thou winners, the winners were spread out over 25 states?  Just a couple of fortune cookie freaks in each state decided to play numbers that 'SUPPOSEDLY' were found in a fortune cookie?  And consider this, the fortune cookie expanation was supplied by the lottery folks...THERE'S NO PROOF OF IT.  And furthermore, the Tennessee jackpot winners had a QP ticket...I saw a news release on that.  And that would be proof that A FORTUNE COOKIE DIDN'T SUPPLY THE JACKPOT WINNER.  It seems to me that all this would dovetail into this effort to get players to buy tickets even though the jackp[ot is at the $10 mil minimum.  I'll repeat this...Karl Malden the cop on the TV police drama said repeatedly 'I don't believe in coincidences', and that led him to solving the case...and I don't believe in coincidences either...there's something amiss here.  Any other skeptics.

Greenwich, CT
    United States
    Member #4793
    May 24, 2004
    1822 Posts
    Posted: April 3, 2005, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I think the fortune cookie explanation is more believable because people won all over the country.  I'm sure there is one, giant fortune cookie distributor, doling out the same boxes with maybe five different combos of lucky numbers.  How many fortune cookies are eaten in a one week period?  A lot.  Enough so that 100 people might play that combination on Powerball?  You bet.

Why would the lottery shell out an extra $15-$20 million?  To be generous?

Maybe you're onto something, pigskin, I just can't see it.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: April 3, 2005, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

With only 2,869,685 possible combinations of 5's in a 5/53 game that is played in so many states, it is not impossible to believe that that that many people have played the same combinations of 5's before but the numbers were never drawn.  MegaMillions have even less possible combinations of 5's and are selling more tickets, so don't be surprised if the same thing happens with it one day.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        20117 Posts
        Posted: April 3, 2005, 4:28 pm - IP Logged
        Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on April 3, 2005

With only 2,869,685 possible combinations of 5's in a 5/53 game that is played in so many states, it is not impossible to believe that that that many people have played the same combinations of 5's before but the numbers were never drawn.  MegaMillions have even less possible combinations of 5's and are selling more tickets, so don't be surprised if the same thing happens with it one day.

RJOh

that would'nt surprise me at all RJ...!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Baton Rouge, LA
          United States
          Member #4602
          May 7, 2004
          699 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2005, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

I wonder what to think of this too.   When you read the story, it just says "several" people won with fortune cookie numbers, but doesn't say exactly how many.   Perhaps 5 winners interviewed said they got the numbers from fortune cookies, but I don't consider that a large number. Perhaps it was more, perhaps less. Journalists will exagerate a little just to make a story sound interesting, and this could be such a case. Of course, some people will make something up when interviewed because they want to make their 15 Minutes more interesting than they actually are. Then there are some who won't say how they got their numbers.

In order for me to believe this, I'd like to see how many bought quickpicks, and how many used their own numbers out of the total. Only if I see those numbers will I be able to form an opinion on the fortune cookie story.

PrisonerSix

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2005, 5:11 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by PrisonerSix on April 3, 2005

Of course, some people will make something up when interviewed because they want to make their 15 Minutes more interesting than they actually are. 

Exaggerating is becoming a part of the American culture from the White House down to the guy in the street, people are starting to expect a little BS in every thing they hear or read.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2005, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

as weird as it seems, it's kind of like that episode of "the simpsons" in which homer had to go on a bsiness trip with mindy, the girl he had the hots for. he read his fortune cookie at the chinese resturaunt, and in the back room, the supervisor said "open the stick with your wife barrel!". anyone else remember that episode?

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8362 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2005, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

People play those stupid fortune cookie numbers horoscope numbers and all kinds of mystical numbers every day every week. Stands to reason they might win sooner or later. 

Coincidence or not it happened and that's they way the cookie crumbles. Might even happen again as now everybody and his mother will b playing the darn things. I have played them before. And might play em again.  

those cookies and numbers slips aremade and  printed in the millions. Its a miracle there weren't 100,000 winners.
                  ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                  Member #4416
                  April 22, 2004
                  1075 Posts
                  Posted: April 4, 2005, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

The winning numbers for that draw were 22-28-32-33-39 + 42

The fortune cookie numbers were  22-28-32-33-39-40. (I'd be willing to bet that other lotteries around the country have been getting a lot of action on those numbers too.)

The people who won the jackpot did so on a QP which had nothing to do with the fortune cookies. That's probably why they were the sole jackpot winners.

Before Wednesday, the most tickets to win second-tier Powerball prizes in one drawing was 91, on August 25, 2001.  I don't know why it happened then, but it will probably happen again sometime.

I don't see how this adds up to any kind of conspiracy or fraud, but if there's something amiss, I hope they use my numbers next time.

aye'