Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball's Match 5 Bonus Pool Rule

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should Powerball get rid of it?

Yes(explain)! [ 8 ]  [66.67%]
No(explain)! [ 4 ]  [33.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 12 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3092 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2005, 3:04 am - IP Logged

I have been playing powerball since 1993 and this darn rule is the worst rule they have ever had in the games history.  So get rid of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2005, 4:15 am - IP Logged

explain this rule,i play powerball sometimes but i'm not familiar with certain aspects of it.....

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2005, 11:59 am - IP Logged

They limit rollovers to $25 million each if the jackpot gets to be $25 million over the previous record (currently, the qualifying jackpot is $340 million).  The excess cash gets placed in a "Match 5 bonus pool," which is distributed among all the $100,000 winners when the record jackpot is finally won.

Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3092 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2005, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Match 5 bonus rule works like this when the jackpot reaches 340 million dollars it will rise in 25 million increments and the rest of the money will go into a 5+0 pool to be divided among those winners.  If they have no 5+0 winners then it goes to the 4+1 winners and so on.  It is a limit on how high the jackpot can potentially be and that is why I hate it!

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2005, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

your right the rule is really stupid.......

Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2005, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

BUT whoever matches five numbers could make some pretty good dough.......

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2005, 2:31 am - IP Logged

Maybe we should tell politicians that second place is OK that way when they loose they won't feel so bad.

One can only wonder at someone in a game like Powerball hating rich people but at the same time trying to appeal to people's desire to get rich. This is what you get with very liberal people and some very sad thinking. Of course being poor is for other people not for them. They probably play Megamillions.

Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3092 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2005, 3:06 am - IP Logged

I emailed powerball and they sent their reply back that they would not get rid of the rule because it is for greed purposes.  I guess they don't want to be held to a 500 or 600 million dollar standard so we will just have to settle for 340 million and 50 to 100 other millionaires.

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2005, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Seems a pretty good rule to me, at least the part where they have a match 5 award.  Those whites are a lot easier to get than the red.  If you match 5 and have a doubler you would end up with $200,000 to $500,000 bucks for your trouble.

Soooo.  I wonder whether, say, between $100,000 and half a million bucks to a lot of people would tend to be more benificial for them than 50 million to a single person now and then would be, overall?

Frankly, I'm at loss to understand what the hell anyone thinks they need $50 million or $340 million bucks for.  But I'd bet there's not one person on the DB who's ever seen $100K in a single chunk in their entire lives.  Or the $55K  you'd probably end up with after taxes.

Absurd, scoffing at that sort of money and the better shot you have at it, so's you can have a lot more miniscule shot at trying to be Bill Gates, Ted Turner or the King of Siam, seems to me.  You win $100 K and your bills are all paid off, or a lot of them.  You have a good shot at cleaning a lot of cobwebs out of your attic.  You win $80 million and you can do what?  Hobnob with a bunch of rich trash you won't like better than the friends you have now?  Lose a lot more than you do now in Las Vegas?  Drive a Farrari?  Eat hummingbird tongues for breakfast?

Seems to me there are some truly strange priorities among us, here.

Jack

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2005, 10:21 am - IP Logged

one word.....ego

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: April 10, 2005, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Maybe, but I'd put it down to something else.  I think nobody here believes he's going to win, not $100 K, not $340 million.  So, if you're not going to win anyway, hell, might as well fanticize about winning $400 million and scoff at $100K..... lots more fun that way.  Nevermind the fact that you stand one heluva lot better chance at the $100K, which you'd really be tickled pea green to have.

Better question is why these people bother to buy tickets if they don't think they're going to win.

Jack

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: April 10, 2005, 11:29 am - IP Logged
                        Quote: Originally posted by weshar75 on April 10, 2005

I emailed powerball and they sent their reply back that they would not get rid of the rule because it is for greed purposes.  I guess they don't want to be held to a 500 or 600 million dollar standard so we will just have to settle for 340 million and 50 to 100 other millionaires.

They also said they slow the growth of record jackpots because some people play only for a "record," and if they hit a record of $700 million this year, they miss the chance to have records at $340 million, $400 million, $500 million, etc.
                          hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: April 10, 2005, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I'd rather they dropped that rule in favor of occasionally adding numbers higher than 5 to the powerplay bin.... that way it's the player's choice and the jackpot chasers who choose not to "power up" will have a bigger jackpot to chase.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: May 6, 2005, 10:19 am - IP Logged

I want to see the rule used at least once.