Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball pool opinion

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 12 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
700 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2005, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

A  coworker and I are planning to start playing Powerball in a pool.  We plan to put in $2 every payday(we are paid every 2 weeks) and buy tickets.

Since we'll have $4 to work with, we are trying to decide if we should play 2 drawings with 2 tickets/each or buy a ticket for all 4 drawings that will occur over the 2 week payroll period.

We plan to just keep it with the two of us and don't plan to add anyone else. 

I'd like some opinions on what would be the best way to play.

Thanks.

PrisonerSix

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
    USA
    United States
    Member #8242
    October 29, 2004
    1133 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2005, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

I hope you're going to wheel. I feel wheeling is necessary for maximum coverage. My new plan is instead of playing $1 - $3 frequently, it's a better bet to play $5 - $10 less frequently. I'll pretty much be spending the same amount of money on the lottery, but with slightly more playing money "each time", more #'s can be wheeled, and into more lines. That's what I gathered from reading about wheeling.

Hope it helps. May the BIG hit be with you.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2005, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

You might get better at picking numbers if you play more often.

But for quick picks or picking just any number out of your head it might be about the same either way maybe.

For "picking just a few numbers" at jackpot games, quality might be better than quantity and playing often with fewer numbers might force you to get better at picking numbers.

Good luck.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
        USA
        United States
        Member #8242
        October 29, 2004
        1133 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

What Lantern said is possible, but I feel to a certain extent, because if you're using only a "few numbers", the probability is you will not hit much. At first I picked only 5 numbers for Mega Millions (not including the MegaBall) because I figured that would force me to pick the best #'s. Twice I hit 2 regular numbers, but I believe I was limited because I tried to only pick 5 numbers. From what I've read, it's very hard to win when picking less than say 10 numbers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8391 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2005, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I guess two people could be in a pool but it's more like a partnersnip. most lottery pools consist of 10 people or more each contrubiting a set amount. Then either hand picking the numbers to play or buying qpicks. You can decide if you will play for extended draws or just one drawing. Take any moneys won up to the set amount and put it in a kitty for the future drawings.

Remembr to find out if it's ok in your state to run a pool and how you might claim the prize if you win. Be it a trust or otherwise.

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            700 Posts
            Posted: April 12, 2005, 12:36 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by four4me on April 11, 2005

I guess two people could be in a pool but it's more like a partnersnip. most lottery pools consist of 10 people or more each contrubiting a set amount. Then either hand picking the numbers to play or buying qpicks. You can decide if you will play for extended draws or just one drawing. Take any moneys won up to the set amount and put it in a kitty for the future drawings.

Remembr to find out if it's ok in your state to run a pool and how you might claim the prize if you win. Be it a trust or otherwise.

I guess partnership would be a better term.  I may even suggest we put up $4/paycheck and by 2 tickets for 4 draws.  She wants to pick our own numbers because she hasn't had luck with quickpicks, nor has our office when they did a pool when the prize got above $100 million. 

We plan to split our winnings 50/50, even for small prizes.  If we win a jackpot, our state(Louisiana) does allow trusts or LLCs to claim prizes.  We plan to claim anonymously and keep it quiet.  I've also suggested to her that if we do win enough to be set for life, don't go on a spending spress and keep our jobs for a few months or so after the prize is claimed, so nobody will get suspicous, then one quit followed by the other some months later, and give no reason as to why.  Now we just need to decide who gets to quit first<grin>.

PrisonerSix