Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

More on the Hoosier Lottery...

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 12 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: April 12, 2005, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I recently wrote the Hoosier Lottery with the following comments:                                   

I noticed something when I checked my PowerBall tickets today. At the top of each ticket is printed the following message:

"Remember draw time is now 9:59 PM EST! Sales cut off is one hour before the drawing."

As far back as I can remember, sales cutoff has always been one half-hour prior to the drawing. When did this change take place, and when did you announce it? 

IC 4-30-3-5, Sec. 5 states, "The commission shall make a continuous study of the following:

(1) The lottery, in order to ascertain any amendments necessary to this article or to rules adopted under this article that could prdvent any abuses in the administration of the lottery.

(2) The operation and administration of similar lottery laws in other states and of federal laws that may affect the lottery.

(3) The reaction of the public to existing and potential features of the lottery.

The Hoosier Lottery has a nasty habit of ignoring the laws which govern its operation. This fits perfectly into the RNG scam, given that you've mandated no published liability limits. How is it possible that Indiana is the ONLY state lottery that actively tracks player selections prior to each drawing? All other state lotteries have liability limits in place, so I'm curious; what, exactly, did your study reveal, and how did the public react to the results?

Jim 

(Address)

Of course, they haven't bothered to respond, and I doubt that they will. On the other hand, they don't deny breaking the law.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: April 12, 2005, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you guys should write a petition to have me as the Hoosier Lottery director. I could clean up the joint real fine. And of course, bring back the balls. In fact, that would be the new slogan "The Indiana State Lottery: We Got Balls!"

(insert signature here)

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5112 Posts
      Posted: April 13, 2005, 12:52 am - IP Logged
      Quote: Originally posted by JimmySand9 on April 12, 2005

Maybe you guys should write a petition to have me as the Hoosier Lottery director. I could clean up the joint real fine. And of course, bring back the balls. In fact, that would be the new slogan "The Indiana State Lottery: We Got Balls!"

THANKS JimmySand9:

YOU..........................would make a great LD...................cause somebody,

got the BALL'sssss..and " The Indiana State Lottery" got the MONEY$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
        Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: April 13, 2005, 6:17 am - IP Logged

we want balls,we need balls,gotta have them balls

Columbia City, Indiana
          United States
          Member #2978
          December 9, 2003
          381 Posts
          Posted: April 13, 2005, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Following is the reply I received from the Hoosier Lottery's legal counsel:

Dear Mr. Grimes,

Thank you for your e-mail in which you raised questions about the Powerball game and lottery statutes. 

First, let me assure you that the Hoosier Lottery does not ignore the statutes that govern its operations.  This organization is committed to conducting the best lottery games available and depends upon the confidence of the public in the integrity of those games for its success.  We have implemented and improved our systems to prdvent future security breaches. 

Be advised that the sales cut off for Powerball has NEVER been ½ hour before the drawing.  Rather, since at least 1996 Powerball sales have been cut off at one hour before the Powerball drawing.  Prior to that year, the cut off period may have been even longer.  You may have the Powerball cut off confused with other drawings that have sales cut offs that are closer to the drawing. 

The Lottery's Powerball rules establish that the director has the discretion to determine when to cut off sales.  The one hour Powerball cut off decision was made in conjunction with the Multi State Lottery (MUSL) which is governed by a board made up of the lottery directors from the lotteries participating in the Powerball game.  MUSL conducts the Powerball drawings in Iowa. 

The Lottery has announced cut off times in various publications, on the Lottery's web site, in press releases, and, as you know, on occasional top-of-ticket messages.

I am confused by the second part of your e-mail where you have quoted a statute and referred to the "RNG scam," "liability limits" and "actively" tracking "player selections."  I do not know what the term "RNG" means.  Similarly, the Lottery has published certain "liability limits" in its rules limiting certain repeated plays in Daily 3 and Daily 4 games.  I am not, however, sure if that is what you are referring to.  Similarly, EVERY state tracks player selections in a computer database prior to a drawing.  If they did not, they would not know when there was a winning ticket. 

Finally, the Lottery seeks public comment on its activities and is always interested in feedback from our players. 

If you could clarify your concerns, I would be happy to try and address them.

Janna J. Shisler
          General Counsel
          Hoosier Lottery

I should point out that I no longer play any Hoosier Lottery games, but only PowerBall, since it's drawn in Iowa and uncontaminated by the hands of the Hoosier Lottery. In the past, however, the message appearing at the top of every online ticket sold was the same one, regardless of the game. These messages are used to promote new games, to announce upcoming dvents or to distribute Amber Alerts across the state. In this case, it appears the message applies only to the PowerBall game. My apologies for the error.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: April 13, 2005, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

do you pick your own numbers for poewrball. if not,m the hoosier lottery may still be able to mess with them.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: April 14, 2005, 6:43 am - IP Logged

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                Yinzer Country, PA
                United States
                Member #4067
                March 18, 2004
                2741 Posts
                Posted: April 14, 2005, 6:46 am - IP Logged

in theory they could make it so every quick pick generates the same set of numbers. that way, if that set comes up, the winners get next to nothing.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: May 14, 2005, 1:35 am - IP Logged

if that happens anywhere indiana would be the first place that would come to mind....