Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To Many Lotto Tickets

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Maverick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

The person behind the counter prints to many tickets with your number what would you do?

Let them keep the tickets? [ 6 ]  [31.58%]
Trust the person to delete them? [ 4 ]  [21.05%]
Buy the extra ones and hope they win? [ 6 ]  [31.58%]
Other [ 3 ]  [15.79%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Whirlwind's avatar - candle
Pensacola Florida
United States
Member #12418
March 13, 2005
146 Posts
Posted: April 17, 2005, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

This has happened to me twice, where they have printed 3 sets of my play slips instead of 1, so after thinking what if it wins, I buy them. I want to know what would you do? Thank you in advance.....

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
    Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2741 Posts
    Posted: April 17, 2005, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

before i enter the store, i make a set limit on how much i am going to spend on tickets. in the dvent that a clerk would "accidentally" print out more tickets than intended, i would tell the clerk to delete them and i would not leave the store until they did so.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Pensacola Florida
      United States
      Member #12418
      March 13, 2005
      146 Posts
      Posted: April 17, 2005, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Thank you DoctorEw......

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2005, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Let them keep the tickets.

Pensacola Florida
          United States
          Member #12418
          March 13, 2005
          146 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2005, 3:07 pm - IP Logged
          Quote: Originally posted by MillionsWanted on April 17, 2005

WOW.... I had thought about it but I also thought what if they win???? I would have to share with someone else.... not that I wouldn't...... because we do that here in a way..... But thank you MillionsWanted....

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2005, 3:43 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by Whirlwind on April 17, 2005

Quote: Originally posted by MillionsWanted on April 17, 2005

WOW.... I had thought about it but I also thought what if they win???? I would have to share with someone else.... not that I wouldn't...... because we do that here in a way..... But thank you MillionsWanted....

I'll let them keep the tickets but I'm not the one to pay for them of course.

In the end I think they would delete them anyway. They probably play their own numbers.

So my answer is somewhat split between first and second choice.

If I am playing a system I don't want to share with anyone I would have the tickets deleted.

On the other hand if I was known as the local "lotto guru" and won often I would be more strict.

But I'm not...

I got a player ID card for the lottery in Norway and I would be identified as the owner of the tickets anyway. In this instance I would just ask them to delete the tickets.
              four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8359 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2005, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

let me tell ya a little story i am married to a number i like 1730 it has never hit. Every time i see those numbers show up in the history of the last 4 or 5 draws i buy multiple tickets. I ask the sales person for 1 dollar box and 5 dollars straight. She gave me i dollar straight and 5 one dollar box tickets. i told her to cancel out the box tickets and give me 5 tickets straight for a buck. Well the number hit but it didn't hit straight so instead of winning 600 bucks i only won 100 bucks. Any other day i would have probably kept them but this day i didn't. It's entirely up to you if you can afford to buy the mistakes do so, if not don't. And of course if they are not the numbers you asked for make sure you buy your actual selections. A lot of times when i have extra throw away money i will buy somebodys mistake numbers if they have them laying around. I have even won a few time doing it.  

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8359 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2005, 4:32 pm - IP Logged
                Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on April 17, 2005

before i enter the store, i make a set limit on how much i am going to spend on tickets. in the dvent that a clerk would "accidentally" print out more tickets than intended, i would tell the clerk to delete them and i would not leave the store until they did so.

i would tell the clerk to delete them

why!!! what do you care what hapopens to the tickets?

You got what you paid for anything left behind shouldn't affect you one way or the other. I know lot of stores that sell tickets and they keep mistakes for themselves.

You can cancel regular state lottery tickets but not Megamill or powerball tickets. So if they were lottery tickets for the state million then yes i might tell them to cancel them. Otherwise if they were pick 3/4/5 and i didn't want them then they can eat them for all i care.

Pensacola Florida
                  United States
                  Member #12418
                  March 13, 2005
                  146 Posts
                  Posted: April 17, 2005, 4:33 pm - IP Logged
                  Quote: Originally posted by four4me on April 17, 2005

let me tell ya a little story i am married to a number i like 1730 it has never hit. Every time i see those numbers show up in the history of the last 4 or 5 draws i buy multiple tickets. I ask the sales person for 1 dollar box and 5 dollars straight. She gave me i dollar straight and 5 one dollar box tickets. i told her to cancel out the box tickets and give me 5 tickets straight for a buck. Well the number hit but it didn't hit straight so instead of winning 600 bucks i only won 100 bucks. Any other day i would have probably kept them but this day i didn't. It's entirely up to you if you can afford to buy the mistakes do so, if not don't. And of course if they are not the numbers you asked for make sure you buy your actual selections. A lot of times when i have extra throw away money i will buy somebodys mistake numbers if they have them laying around. I have even won a few time doing it.  

Cool thank you for shareing!!!! I hope your numbers come in and you hit big!
                    RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19816 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2005, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio only State lottery tickets can be deleted, if the clerk prints extra MegaMillions tickets, someone has to pay for them.  If it's the clerk's fault, it's their problem.  Their odds of winning is no better than mine and if I win then we both are lucky.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #8242
                      October 29, 2004
                      1133 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2005, 9:37 pm - IP Logged
                      Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on April 17, 2005

In Ohio only State lottery tickets can be deleted, if the clerk prints extra MegaMillions tickets, someone has to pay for them.  If it's the clerk's fault, it's their problem.  Their odds of winning is no better than mine and if I win then we both are lucky.

RJOh

It would be the clerk's or the machines fault. So for Mega Millions, those extra tickets will be valid winners? Dang, that's messed up.

United States
                        Member #12495
                        March 15, 2005
                        76 Posts
                        Posted: April 21, 2005, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Wait a minute. They can CANCEL the ticket?!

Maybe I am from Mars. :) What if the clerk is a jerk and he canceled the ticket after you left so that he can pocket in the money. Wouldn't that be a nightmare if you get your dream number won, but find out later that the number is canceled and your winning ticket is just a piece of trash?!

Is canceling ticket just some special features in certain states or it is everywhere?

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1272 Posts
                          Posted: April 21, 2005, 10:52 am - IP Logged

The system is built on trust.

If it becomes known that a clerc in a store has cancelled a ticket without the ticket buyer asking for it people will stop buying tickets in that store. And the store might lose the right to sell lottery tickets.

But this will not prdvent a crooked clerc from doing it. The possibility that it has happened somewhere already is there.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8359 Posts
                            Posted: April 21, 2005, 1:41 pm - IP Logged
                            Quote: Originally posted by NewClub on April 21, 2005

Wait a minute. They can CANCEL the ticket?!

Maybe I am from Mars. :) What if the clerk is a jerk and he canceled the ticket after you left so that he can pocket in the money. Wouldn't that be a nightmare if you get your dream number won, but find out later that the number is canceled and your winning ticket is just a piece of trash?!

Is canceling ticket just some special features in certain states or it is everywhere?

they can't cancel a megamillion tickets or a powerball tickes.

Any regular state lottery tickets can be canceled but they must enter the code on the ticket. if you are in posession of the ticket they can't cancel your ticket. There are some exceptions to this rule( if they are special promotional lottery tickets of some type then you might not be able to cancel them if it was your mistake you own the ticket if it was their mistake then they own the ticket.)

The reference to caneling tickets is if you were given the wrong numbers in a state game too many tickets etc.  You have the option to keep them or ask for replacement tickets or ask for them to be cancled. Some places KEEP the mistakes for themselves. Some places sell the mistakes to others. Some places cancel the tickets. Which are then null and void.

This does not pertain to MEGAMILLIONS or POWERBALL tickets they can't be canceld. If you made a mistake then you own the mistake if they made a mistake they own the ticket. At this point they can do whatever they like with it. They might sell them to somebody else or keep them for themselves.  

Also every transaction on the ticket machine is recorded the owners of the machine have a printed report on all moneys taken in and paid out. Some lottery machine owners might allow a total of 5 dollars worth of money not accounted for. However many places hold the clerk responsible for his/her shift. And the end of the shift he/she had better have a balanced bank. the amount of money taken in or paid out must be correct to the nearesr dollar. If a clerk is habitually having un-balenced shifts they might be looking for a job real soon. No store owner is going to allow a clerk to steal from them.

United States
                              Member #12495
                              March 15, 2005
                              76 Posts
                              Posted: April 22, 2005, 1:18 pm - IP Logged
                              Quote: Originally posted by four4me on April 21, 2005

they can't cancel a megamillion tickets or a powerball tickes.

Any regular state lottery tickets can be canceled but they must enter the code on the ticket. if you are in posession of the ticket they can't cancel your ticket. There are some exceptions to this rule( if they are special promotional lottery tickets of some type then you might not be able to cancel them if it was your mistake you own the ticket if it was their mistake then they own the ticket.)

The reference to caneling tickets is if you were given the wrong numbers in a state game too many tickets etc.  You have the option to keep them or ask for replacement tickets or ask for them to be cancled. Some places KEEP the mistakes for themselves. Some places sell the mistakes to others. Some places cancel the tickets. Which are then null and void.

This does not pertain to MEGAMILLIONS or POWERBALL tickets they can't be canceld. If you made a mistake then you own the mistake if they made a mistake they own the ticket. At this point they can do whatever they like with it. They might sell them to somebody else or keep them for themselves.  

Also every transaction on the ticket machine is recorded the owners of the machine have a printed report on all moneys taken in and paid out. Some lottery machine owners might allow a total of 5 dollars worth of money not accounted for. However many places hold the clerk responsible for his/her shift. And the end of the shift he/she had better have a balanced bank. the amount of money taken in or paid out must be correct to the nearesr dollar. If a clerk is habitually having un-balenced shifts they might be looking for a job real soon. No store owner is going to allow a clerk to steal from them.

Well. that sounds better. :)

I have a question. In the case that a printer jam happen when you purchase a lottery ticket, that ticket is lost for good, dventhough it is registed in the system already. The store has to take that lost. But when they input my number again, I was thinking: if that is the exact ticket win the jackpot, I have to share the prize with another nobody! I guess there should be no way to recover an unprinted lottery ticket, right?