Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:14 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Beware of Lottery Pools

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 12 years ago by ineed9million.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
New York, NY
United States
Member #13514
April 7, 2005
235 Posts
Posted: April 21, 2005, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I don't want to break any rules, but I know this would make an interesting story. I will be happy to provide the link so this can be posted in the News section of the board.

I saw a story in the new york daily news about a woman who is suing her co-worker over a Mega Millions ticket.   Well actually three people are suing. Seems in November the guy who bought the ticket came to work late, and said he won the second prize jackpot of $175,000. When one of the other pool members said "No WE won", the guy said he won alone.

The coursts have froze $81,750 of the $109,000 the man collected after taxes. The man who won offered $1,000 each, then halved it to $500 saying he needed the money for a house downpayment.

Part of the reason why I don't play in pools at my job. It would cause too many problems.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23350 Posts
    Posted: April 21, 2005, 10:52 am - IP Logged

We were both thinking the same thing - I just posted the article in the News section.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Ga
      United States
      Member #4378
      April 17, 2004
      136 Posts
      Posted: April 21, 2005, 11:02 am - IP Logged

We do a pool twice a week in the mega. I make a copy of the numbers and everyone that put money in gets a copy of the numbers. There are still some honest people around. (I hope)!

United States
        Member #12495
        March 15, 2005
        76 Posts
        Posted: April 21, 2005, 11:56 am - IP Logged

That wouldn't happen in my pool because I wouldn't do that. :)

SirMetro's avatar - center
          East of Atlanta
          United States
          Member #6191
          August 11, 2004
          1389 Posts
          Posted: April 21, 2005, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

My lottery pool consist of me, myself and I and all winnings go to my Wife. Now if I could just do a better job of trying to figure out how it is that everything I have is hers and everything she has is hers. Oh well...guess I just need to keep some things in life simple.

Sir Metro

The desire for simplicity often results in the greatest complexities ever encountered.

United States
            Member #12495
            March 15, 2005
            76 Posts
            Posted: April 21, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged
            Quote: Originally posted by SirMetro on April 21, 2005

My lottery pool consist of me, myself and I and all winnings go to my Wife. Now if I could just do a better job of trying to figure out how it is that everything I have is hers and everything she has is hers. Oh well...guess I just need to keep some things in life simple.

Sir Metro

The desire for simplicity often results in the greatest complexities ever encountered.

Does that mean you can not even deduct your lost from win on your tax return because you never win?

hehe, Kind of kidding. But that could become a reason you tell your wife why it has to be YOU to win. :)

New York, NY
              United States
              Member #13514
              April 7, 2005
              235 Posts
              Posted: April 21, 2005, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Todd thank you!!!

Ga
                United States
                Member #4378
                April 17, 2004
                136 Posts
                Posted: April 21, 2005, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Sir Metro

I thought that is how is went "what is mine is hers and what is hers is hers".... didn't know any difference.

tee heehee

MA
                  United States
                  Member #11452
                  February 14, 2005
                  74 Posts
                  Posted: April 21, 2005, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

I've got a strict policy of never buying personal tickets for the same drawing that my pool is entering, and when I do buy personal tickets for other drawings I tell everyone what I'm doing. I also always send out a list of the numbers we played.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                    Member #620
                    August 25, 2002
                    205 Posts
                    Posted: April 21, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged
                    Quote: Originally posted by Bingo Long on April 21, 2005

I've got a strict policy of never buying personal tickets for the same drawing that my pool is entering, and when I do buy personal tickets for other drawings I tell everyone what I'm doing. I also always send out a list of the numbers we played.

As a teacher, I used to run a lotto pool. I had a strict set of rules & conditions that we played by. One rule stated that my own tickets couldn't be purchased from the same station that I purchased the group tickets from. On the back side of these rules was where the participates signed acknowledging all the rules/conditions listed on the front side. Of course, I always made copies of the group's tickets and posted them where everyone could see the list. We never won more than $78.00 so we never had any real issues.

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                      Philadelphia, PA
                      United States
                      Member #11436
                      February 13, 2005
                      176 Posts
                      Posted: April 21, 2005, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

I used to play in a pool (3 years ago) that was good for 200 plays when the powerball jackpot was over a certain amount.  We all got photocopies of the numbers that were played, but I wasn't into checking numbers back then and just relied on other people's honesty to let me know if we had won anything.