Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

odds?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
brownsville
United States
Member #14472
April 26, 2005
27 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2005, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

do yall think the odds are right? i bought 25$ worth of 5$ tickets and didnt get anything. can anyone relate.

illinois
    United States
    Member #14083
    April 20, 2005
    30 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2005, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I did that here in Illinois a couple of weeks ago. like 30 dollars worth of $5.00 dollars tickets and didn't get anything and they all were the same game. so what is the odds of that happening  6 losers in a roll on a 5.00 tickets.

johnph77's avatar - avatar
      CA
      United States
      Member #2987
      December 10, 2003
      832 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2005, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Odds of NOT winning are dependent on the odds of winning. If the odds of getting a winning ticket are 1::5, then the odds of drawing a non-winning ticket are 4::5. Knowing this, the odds of drawing non-winning tickets with the purchase of more than one ticket can be computed thus:

4^x::5^x

where "^" indicates an exponent - the number of times a number is to be multiplied by itself - and "x" is the number of tickets purchased.

Decimally, the odds of drawing a non-winning ticket are 1::1.25. The odds for multiple purchases are more or less easier to compute depending on how adept you are with decimals, as the formula here would be 1::1.25^x.

Hope this helps.

gl

j

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

Roslindale, MA
        United States
        Member #5377
        July 1, 2004
        135 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

It's not that uncommon - I've had as many as 13 losers in a row before (on a whim I once bought the last 15 tickets from a book of $1 tickets - 13 straight losers, then a $1 "winner" then another loser).

And I did once buy 10 $5 tickets ($50) and got totally skunked (kids, don't try this at home ).

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
          USA
          United States
          Member #8242
          October 29, 2004
          1133 Posts
          Posted: May 6, 2005, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

If a scratch ticket says "Overall odds of winning on this ticket are 1 in 3.70", does that mean if somebody buys 4 tickets of that game, that one of the tickets should pay back something?

CA
            United States
            Member #2987
            December 10, 2003
            832 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2005, 3:49 am - IP Logged

Maverick -

In a word, no. By buying 4 tickets you've placed yourself on the other end of the odds - in this case 1::0.85 - but that in and of itself will not guarantee you a winning ticket.

gl

j

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2005, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

you know what you do after you get that many losers straight?  you buy the next one.  it's probably a big winner.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                North Dakota
                United States
                Member #13397
                April 5, 2005
                1623 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2005, 2:34 pm - IP Logged

I've bought $40 in $5 tickets.  Overall Odds 1:3.00.  Lost on all of them. 

illinois
                  United States
                  Member #14083
                  April 20, 2005
                  30 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2005, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

A person came in the store where I work at and bought  $120.00 dollars worth of tickets. They all were 20.00 dollar tickets  and everyone of them were losers all on the same game. On which the overall odds on them are 1 in 2.75...

USA
                    United States
                    Member #8242
                    October 29, 2004
                    1133 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2005, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

Maverick -

In a word, no. By buying 4 tickets you've placed yourself on the other end of the odds - in this case 1::0.85 - but that in and of itself will not guarantee you a winning ticket.

gl

j

Thanx for the reply. Do you know exactly what it means by "odds of winning being 1 : 3.70?"

USA
                      United States
                      Member #8242
                      October 29, 2004
                      1133 Posts
                      Posted: May 7, 2005, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

A person came in the store where I work at and bought  $120.00 dollars worth of tickets. They all were 20.00 dollar tickets  and everyone of them were losers all on the same game. On which the overall odds on them are 1 in 2.75...

Wow, that disappointment must've lasted for months.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                        North Dakota
                        United States
                        Member #13397
                        April 5, 2005
                        1623 Posts
                        Posted: May 7, 2005, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like someone needs some help.  No way would I spend that much at once.  I learned my lesson when I lost $40. 

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: May 8, 2005, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I was lucky to win $100 on the $30 ticket...

CA
                            United States
                            Member #2987
                            December 10, 2003
                            832 Posts
                            Posted: May 8, 2005, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Maverick -

When it is said that odds of a winning ticket are 1::3.70, it simply indicates that out of every 37 tickets, 10 (on average) will be winners. For instance, in a game where 37 million tickets are produced, 10 million will be winners. And, if 10 million tickets are winners, then 27 million tickets will be losers. Doesn't tell you how much or what you'll wiin if you win, doesn't tell you what the payout percentage is, doesn't tell you where the tickets are distributed (either on the roll or by location), simply that there will be that many winning tickets. Only analysis of all the odds and winning amounts will allow you to calculate what can be determined by math.

gl

j

=^.^=

USA
                              United States
                              Member #8242
                              October 29, 2004
                              1133 Posts
                              Posted: May 8, 2005, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Maverick -

When it is said that odds of a winning ticket are 1::3.70, it simply indicates that out of every 37 tickets, 10 (on average) will be winners. For instance, in a game where 37 million tickets are produced, 10 million will be winners. And, if 10 million tickets are winners, then 27 million tickets will be losers. Doesn't tell you how much or what you'll wiin if you win, doesn't tell you what the payout percentage is, doesn't tell you where the tickets are distributed (either on the roll or by location), simply that there will be that many winning tickets. Only analysis of all the odds and winning amounts will allow you to calculate what can be determined by math.

gl

j

Thank you much for that reply about the math johnph77. I appreciate it. I wish all states would tell it like that.

Just to be sure, when the odds are 1:4.58, does that mean out of every 45 tickets, 10 (on average) will be winners?