Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:56 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

mega millions poll

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 12 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

once mega millions changes this year whats the highest jackpot you expect?

200 million [ 6 ]  [9.68%]
300 million [ 17 ]  [27.42%]
400 million [ 27 ]  [43.55%]
500 million [ 12 ]  [19.35%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2005, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

It's 250k for 5+0 after the change. Looks like the jackpot will be around $40 million when California joins.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
    Florence, Alabama
    United States
    Member #8658
    November 13, 2004
    1993 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2005, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

Whatever it gets up to, I most likely won't win it.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

twisted's avatar - underground
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

It's 250k for 5+0 after the change. Looks like the jackpot will be around $40 million when California joins.

We have five more drawings till June 24th. And if no one wins until then, the jackpot should be $50 million plus on the 24th. I dont know exactly how much above $50 million because that depends on how much California brings in for that drawing (I wonder how they estimate the jackpot when a new state joins). It will be really fun to see how the inclusion of California effects the rollovers. Cant wait.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23345 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
          Yinzer Country, PA
          United States
          Member #4067
          March 18, 2004
          2741 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2005, 12:02 am - IP Logged

i voted $300 million, but there was nothing less than $200 million, so i could not say my actual opinion.  I really think mega millions will be lucky to break $100 million.  CA will kill the game.  Look at their in-state lotto game.  It has a similar starting jackpot, and a huge rollover cycle is rare.  It is almost always hit at the starting level.  CA will have a jackpot winner almost every drawing. It was completely pointless letting CA join the game.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: June 6, 2005, 1:02 am - IP Logged

i voted $300 million, but there was nothing less than $200 million, so i could not say my actual opinion.  I really think mega millions will be lucky to break $100 million.  CA will kill the game.  Look at their in-state lotto game.  It has a similar starting jackpot, and a huge rollover cycle is rare.  It is almost always hit at the starting level.  CA will have a jackpot winner almost every drawing. It was completely pointless letting CA join the game.

CA SL+ odds are only 41m:1.  Also, the jackpot is $44m for this Wednesday....hardly starting level.  The sparkling-new MM will be over 4 times tougher for the average Californian to win.  The MM population to odds ratio remains the same with California added...the jackpot will be won just as often, but at a higher average amount. 

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: June 6, 2005, 1:09 am - IP Logged

what i'm saying is if 3 people in california hit on mega millions for getting 5 numbers right they don't have to split the 175,000 prize do they???

No, I do not think they split a set amount of $175K.  Actually, I think the amount that is split depends on the amount of tickets sold and the jackpot size, so theoretically, they could split more or less than $175K.  Or perhaps they do not split anything at all and just get the amount stated, I am not totally certain.

Actually, it's $250,000 not $175,000 when CA joins.  I don't think they will split a fixed amount of $250,000, and the actual prizes should statistically average $250,000 per ticket.  All set prizes in lottery games are based on the expected number of players sharing in the prize pool, and it is calculated by a formula:

odds of winning at particular prize level * % of prize pool allocated to this specific prize level * % of lottery sales returned as prizes = fixed prize amount

Currently applying this formula at the match 5+0 level, we get this:

$2,649,920 (amount of tickets expected to produce exactly one match 5+0 winner) * .1321 (according to http://www.illinoislottery.com/subsections/mmRules.htm ) * .5 = $175,027.216,

and they round it down to $175,000 just to make it presentable

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                USA
                United States
                Member #8242
                October 29, 2004
                1133 Posts
                Posted: June 6, 2005, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Also, the overall odds will improve from 1 in 42.74 to 1 in 39.89

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2005, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Looks like I will have some time at least to replace all my play slips. I'm really curious how CA will change the rollovers. It would be nice to have some movement in the game. Especially at the 85-200 million level where there are currently it takes 5 drawings for the jackpot to go from 85 miilion to 200 million. Several years ago it took only 3 drawings. Faster rollovers can equate to much bigger jackpots.

United States
                    Member #16612
                    June 2, 2005
                    3493 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2005, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I predict that with California joining, I hope it reaches 500+ million and 1 ticket would win the jackpot. I also hope that only one winner hits a jackpot of at least 366 million or more.

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
                      USA
                      United States
                      Member #8242
                      October 29, 2004
                      1133 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2005, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

With CA's population and love for gambling, it would be realistic for 2 jackpot winners in the same drawing (3 less rarely). Let's see how the MM bigwigs rig, oops I mean run it.

Lep

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                        Member #2338
                        September 17, 2003
                        2063 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2005, 3:32 am - IP Logged

One down and four to go. Look forward to the changes maybe we can finally get some real jackpots. Kind of odd WA is in the game since it's the smallest state in the game and doesn't really have any populous neighbors.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: June 23, 2005, 9:44 am - IP Logged

CA _should_ have the nation's most-played lottery.

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: June 23, 2005, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

CA _should_ have the nation's most-played lottery.

It should, but it's not. Massachusetts gets that honor (mostly from Keno). New York is second, followed by Texas, and Florida. CA has the 5th most played lottery. On a per capita basis however, South Dakota is 1st, followed by Delaware, and West Virginia. But it should also be noted that those lotteries also have video lottery.

(insert signature here)

United States
                              Member #16612
                              June 2, 2005
                              3493 Posts
                              Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I say $400+ million and hope California is the only one that wins the jackpot.