Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 11:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Todd or anyone who can help.

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 12 years ago by mjwinsmith.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ga.
United States
Member #7829
October 14, 2004
614 Posts
Posted: May 4, 2005, 5:46 am - IP Logged

Yesterday,someone PM'ed me thru here,wanting to know how to play online. I told them thru a private reply. When the message was received by them, the site name had disappeared.....all that was left was www.com....Does anyone know why?,thanks

GracieGirl

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2005, 7:45 am - IP Logged

that place doesn't show up on this forum..

so if you type it... everything will show but that

www. .com

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23350 Posts
      Posted: May 4, 2005, 8:13 am - IP Logged

That web site name has been abused here, and I was tired of having free advertising for them posted, so I have banned the name from appearing.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

ga.
        United States
        Member #7829
        October 14, 2004
        614 Posts
        Posted: May 4, 2005, 8:40 am - IP Logged

I totally understood that we were not to post it in forum,but must admit that seems  a little extreme for pm's. Pm's are private,therefore no one except the person asking for the info is getting the sites name . Which again  in no way is advertising for that site,merely answering a question.I always thought PM's were just that ......Private messages......

GracieGirl

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23350 Posts
          Posted: May 4, 2005, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Everything uses the same text editor, so anything that works in one place works the same way in another place.

Plus, if I allowed that link in PMs it would be very easy for someone from that site to start a little advertising campaign through PMs.  Does that sound a little extreme?  Well, I have had to break that kind of thing up a few times in the past, and I don't have the time or patience to keep dealing with it.  It's easier if the link is banned completely.

I cannot keep apologizing and explaining my need to impose certain limited rules here.  I am also hopeful that longtime members will show some support as well, given the amount of dedication I have shown to this web site.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31537 Posts
            Posted: May 4, 2005, 9:23 am - IP Logged

graciegirl - this has been addressed before - do a search.

love to nibble those micey feet.

ga.
              United States
              Member #7829
              October 14, 2004
              614 Posts
              Posted: May 4, 2005, 9:33 am - IP Logged

Todd...I have not ,nor would I ever, question your dedication not to mention just sheer kindness for making this site available,its awesome and that goes without saying. But  surely you can understand why someone (especially a new member ,as I am) would question why a PM is being censored.Anyone who has been here more than a week or so,knows that the use of that site is prohibited,so we call it "the you know where site"...But for new people who do not know what that means,I can surely understand why they ask in forum or PM.....Thats how I found out about that site,8 months ago.  I truly enjoy using both of these sites ,your and theirs...for me they work in

conjunction.

Please when you are responding to any inquiries,try to remember that some of us are new and are not necessarily trying to make trouble for you or anyone else here,but simply asking questions. And I must add,though I probably should'nt, that asking your longtime members to join in and take sides seems somewhat juvenile. you explained to me why you have chosen to censor,and that was sufficient.We are adults, there is no need for either of us to have allies to support our opinions.

Hopefully we have both seen the others point...thanks 

GracieGirl

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                FEMA Region V Camp #21
                United States
                Member #520
                July 27, 2002
                5699 Posts
                Posted: May 4, 2005, 9:37 am - IP Logged

You are right Todd.  I don't want a bunch of PM spamming and it seems kind of foolish to create different text editors for different purposes.  There's always private emails to exchange info and these addresses can be exchanged on PM.

It's a good policy as it is. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23350 Posts
                  Posted: May 4, 2005, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Todd...I have not ,nor would I ever, question your dedication not to mention just sheer kindness for making this site available,its awesome and that goes without saying. But  surely you can understand why someone (especially a new member ,as I am) would question why a PM is being censored.Anyone who has been here more than a week or so,knows that the use of that site is prohibited,so we call it "the you know where site"...But for new people who do not know what that means,I can surely understand why they ask in forum or PM.....Thats how I found out about that site,8 months ago.  I truly enjoy using both of these sites ,your and theirs...for me they work in

conjunction.

Please when you are responding to any inquiries,try to remember that some of us are new and are not necessarily trying to make trouble for you or anyone else here,but simply asking questions. And I must add,though I probably should'nt, that asking your longtime members to join in and take sides seems somewhat juvenile. you explained to me why you have chosen to censor,and that was sufficient.We are adults, there is no need for either of us to have allies to support our opinions.

Hopefully we have both seen the others point...thanks 

My call for long-time members to speak up is because it is very stressful and difficult to have to defend my policies here again and again, especially with so many new members coming on board daily.  Every time someone "in the know" speaks up on my behalf it is like a big weight being lifted off my shoulders, and I am very grateful.

Also, based on how that other site has treated me personally, I gladly banned their web address from this web site, and I am not unhappy when someone has a difficult time letting a new member know their web address.

Plus, you may personally have a good feeling about that web site, but I have heard countless stories about that site not crediting wins until the person checked their own numbers and complained.  That's poor customer service, and if I were you I'd warn people about them, rather than point them to it.  But I digress...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19900 Posts
                    Posted: May 4, 2005, 9:51 am - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by Gracie Girl on May 4, 2005

Pm's are private,therefore no one except the person asking for the info is getting the sites name . 

You are confusing PM's with e-mail, you're still on this forum when you PM someone.  That's the reason I removed my e-mail address from my profile, that way I don't get spam and requests from unwanted sources.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

JAP69's avatar - alas
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #6
                      November 4, 2001
                      8797 Posts
                      Posted: May 4, 2005, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on May 4, 2005

That web site name has been abused here, and I was tired of having free advertising for them posted, so I have banned the name from appearing.

I agree with Todd on the free advertising.

Todd has spent many years developing this site at his expense.

If I were the owner of this site I too would not want it to become a stomping ground of lottery software creators or lottery related sites to hack their wares or services.

Oo'Ka

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3348 Posts
                        Posted: May 4, 2005, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Todd's policies are very fair to all, based upon sound business judgment and whatever the rules are I am personally behind Todd 1000%.  We're all fortunate to have him as webmaster! 

There's nothing stopping someone from PM-ing someone their email address so they can share whatever they care to personally off site. 

Good luck to everyone!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31537 Posts
                          Posted: May 4, 2005, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Quote: Originally posted by konane on May 4, 2005

Todd's policies are very fair to all, based upon sound business judgment and whatever the rules are I am personally behind Todd 1000%.  We're all fortunate to have him as webmaster! 

There's nothing stopping someone from PM-ing someone their email address so they can share whatever they care to personally off site. 

100%

love to nibble those micey feet.

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
                            Member #391
                            June 8, 2002
                            16275 Posts
                            Posted: May 4, 2005, 1:01 pm - IP Logged

I've got to go along with the Boss man on this one, for a bunch of reasons, but the main one is that I too have heard many a tale of poor service.

I've not personally had a problem with them on that "other site" but got feed back from several people that I deal with who had problems, and for that reason I do not freely recomend them or at least forewarn anyone that asks me about them. 

Besides, there is something called E-mail once you get off this site to tell the whole world if you like about that other site.

You just can't do it here, I can live with that. Just my opinion, like it or not.

Michael J. Smith