Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cutover to new web site TONIGHT (Thursday Evening)

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23260 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2005, 9:39 am - IP Logged

There is a certain weirdness that is being caused by having two different text editors in use at one time.  Occasionally when someone pastes text into a message that was copied from another web site, it is causing strange display glitches and sometimes browser crashes.  It is my belief that these problems will stop when we cutover to the new site.

If there is anyone who has NOT YET used the new web site, now is the time.  The reason is that if you have a problem using the new site and I am not made aware of it, then you may be stuck with those problems if I cut over to the new site and the old site is no longer available for you to use.

There is a link at the top of the page, just under Welcome <your name>, that you can click to bring you to the new test site.  In order to be sure your browser is OK using the new site, click that link, and then use the new site for everything you doDo not go back to the old site if you can help it, because by staying on the new site you are testing the site while at the same time using it for all the stuff you normally like to do. 

If you find that you need to go back to the old site for some reason, then you need to make me aware of what happened to make you go back to the old site, and if there was any specific problems that I need to look into.

-Todd

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Rome
    Italy
    Member #14832
    May 4, 2005
    5 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2005, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Well I must say that the bew editor has some problems for me... both with Firefox and with IE6!

This old version that I am using now is a lot better.... I tried to explain the problems in the other thread.

Edit: Well I tried to edit the post on the other thread  (the test the new site ) but I can't the edit link is not there... very strange indeed! I wanted to say that I found the preview button... it's in a place where I didn't expect to find it!

Just me here....

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2005, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I tried this new site the other day and it was slower, but that was probably my computer...it's ancient in computer years...but today the site seems normal speed.  Looks like a lot of new and neat features added.  The only thing I've noticed so far is that when going to write this reply, I was trying to use a different font before starting the post and it kept bouncing back to default.  After I typed a sentence, highlighted it and then chose my font setting it stayed in the font I wanted.  But that's not really an issue, I just wanted to point it out.

I'll keep using the new site from now on.  I have a question for you.  Have you heard of any problems from AOL users?  I noticed that if the pop-up blocker on AOL is enabled, you can't get the emoticon pop-up.  Before it allowed pop-ups on this site.  Again, not a major issue but I probably won't be toggling back and forth to allow pop-ups.

Thanks for your hard work, Todd.  Another pat on the back from me.  Now I'm going to check the rest of the site out.  "Thumbs up!"  :-)

PS...this is an edit, so the edit feature is working fine.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23260 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2005, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Well I must say that the bew editor has some problems for me... both with Firefox and with IE6!

This old version that I am using now is a lot better.... I tried to explain the problems in the other thread.

Edit: Well I tried to edit the post on the other thread  (the test the new site ) but I can't the edit link is not there... very strange indeed! I wanted to say that I found the preview button... it's in a place where I didn't expect to find it!

Please see my reply in the other thread.

The abilitiy to edit (or delete) your own posts goes away after 20 minutes.

Shakey Dee's avatar - cat anm.gif

Bahamas
          Member #958
          December 27, 2002
          8241 Posts
          Posted: May 5, 2005, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd! So far I like what I see. I would like to see 

some new stuff on the emoticon section. (I know it won't make us win and may seem silly)!!

They sometimes make my day when added to some

of r posters comments!  Thanks!!!!

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23260 Posts
            Posted: May 5, 2005, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

I tried this new site the other day and it was slower, but that was probably my computer...it's ancient in computer years...but today the site seems normal speed.  Looks like a lot of new and neat features added.  The only thing I've noticed so far is that when going to write this reply, I was trying to use a different font before starting the post and it kept bouncing back to default.  After I typed a sentence, highlighted it and then chose my font setting it stayed in the font I wanted.  But that's not really an issue, I just wanted to point it out.

I'll keep using the new site from now on.  I have a question for you.  Have you heard of any problems from AOL users?  I noticed that if the pop-up blocker on AOL is enabled, you can't get the emoticon pop-up.  Before it allowed pop-ups on this site.  Again, not a major issue but I probably won't be toggling back and forth to allow pop-ups.

Thanks for your hard work, Todd.  Another pat on the back from me.  Now I'm going to check the rest of the site out.  "Thumbs up!"  :-)

PS...this is an edit, so the edit feature is working fine.

Rick,

Thanks for the feedback.  I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to use the new site!

The performance difference you initially felt was probably the result of lots of new code being sent to your PC.  Stuff like the new JavaScript, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), and HTML.  When you came back to the site a second time, most of the new code was already stored on your PC ("cached"), so it didn't have to download it again.  That's all expected.

I have heard from other AOL users about the need to disable their popup blocker.  There's really not much I can do about that right now, because the new editor uses a different technique to open popup windows than my old editor.  In the future, the editor will use a completely different technique to open popups, which will not require disabling your popup blocker, but this is probably a few months down the road.

I'm not sure why the font changer is giving you a problem.  It should stay selected.  I'll look into it further and see what I can find out.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: May 5, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd! So far I like what I see. I would like to see 

some new stuff on the emoticon section. (I know it won't make us win and may seem silly)!!

They sometimes make my day when added to some

of r posters comments!  Thanks!!!!

Shakey,

I moved your post into this topic, because I think you had mistakenly posted it in the petition thread.

Thanks for the feedback.  You're not the only one who has requested more emoticons.  I'll will keep that in mind!

Thanks again!