Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

money after cash value and taxes

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by dvdiva.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #14374
April 24, 2005
8 Posts
Posted: May 5, 2005, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

how do you find out exactly how much your taking home if you choose cash value option.  Is it the jackpot divided by two then minus a 40% tax?

So for the current powerball it would be 83/2 * .60 = 24.9 million, ack thats a much smaller number

Columbia City, Indiana
    United States
    Member #2978
    December 9, 2003
    381 Posts
    Posted: May 5, 2005, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the game. The cash option for the PowerBall game pays 55% of the advertised jackpot. State taxes will vary, of course, but you can count on paying around 30% in federal taxes.

It's a little disheartening to watch your $83M windfall dwindle to a check worth less than half of what they'll say you won, but when the advertised jackpot reaches $80M or more, you can't get hurt if you use your head.

The next PowerBall drawing is for $83M, so 55% of that comes to $45.65M. Figure 32% of the remainder goes to state and federal coffers, and you still have $31,042,000.00 in cash. Invested at five percent, that will yield a gross annual income of $1,552,100.00. Now, however, you've satisfied the federal requirements for long-term capital gains, so your federal tax is capped at 15%. Even if your state tax is 8%, you'll still net nearly $1.2M a year from your investments.

Now that's a paycheck.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3047 Posts
      Posted: May 5, 2005, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

They sure do take alot before you get your share of the jackpot!

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: May 5, 2005, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I think the USA Mega site will actually break down what you get based on what state you live in. If not it, check the official Megamillions Web site.

Sir Metro

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2005, 10:00 am - IP Logged

Cash value of tonight's powerball is listed as 47.1 million. There is no "rule of thumb" formula to glean the cash from the annuity value as this gap can fluctuate with annuity interest rates. PB posts the cash value tho.

Tonight's breakdown...

Cash Value = $47,100,000.00

Federal Tax Bill (@35 %) = $16,485,000.00

You keep = $30,615,000.00

State and local taxes vary (none for PA residents ;-)  )

here's the tricky part...

MUSL tax withholding is only 27% = $12,717,000.00

that means you owe uncle sam $3,768,000 right away. you must pay it in that tax year and can use an estimated tax bill payment. for the life of me I can't imagine why the MUSL can't just hold the top federal tax rate, as anything over 311,000 is taxed @ 35%... up to 311,000 depends on your situation (married/single) and this is why it is absolutely mandatory that you contact a "dream team" if you win... Attorney, Tax Attorney, Financial Planner...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: June 1, 2005, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Federal withholding is currently 25%.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
              Member #2338
              September 17, 2003
              2063 Posts
              Posted: June 1, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

You can count on 35% being gone plus whatever the state income tax is. You should see a very good tax attorney but I doubt you will get any deductions. Trusts will just protect you from lawsuits more than being a tax haven.

That's also why I shake my head in disgust at people whining that you are greedy if you wan a record jackpot. They have no clue how small that check will really be. This isn't euromillions where you get the check in cash and tax free. You can count on getting only 1/3 (in a tax free state like WA state) to  28% in a heavily taxed state like CA, OR or other states at a 9+% state income tax rate.

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: June 1, 2005, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

diva:

I believe CA doesn't tax lottery winnings.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: June 1, 2005, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Considering how much they want to raise taxes on everything in CA how long will that last?

United States
                    Member #379
                    June 5, 2002
                    11296 Posts
                    Posted: June 26, 2005, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Connecticut has yet to have a PB cash-option winner. This one better not blow it!

United States
                      Member #16612
                      June 2, 2005
                      3493 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

So the federal tax withholding is 25% in California. If I should take cash value of $63 million for Friday's Mega Millions, what's the net amount I would have left after federal tax withholding [paid back to Uncle Sam]? What percent is federal tax withholding right now?

FLORIDA
                        United States
                        Member #5364
                        July 1, 2004
                        88 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

So the federal tax withholding is 25% in California. If I should take cash value of $63 million for Friday's Mega Millions, what's the net amount I would have left after federal tax withholding [paid back to Uncle Sam]? What percent is federal tax withholding right now?

The current federal tax rates are 10% 15% 25% 28% 33% and 35%. The state of California have the following tax rates 1% 2% 4% 6% 8% 9.3% and 10.3%.
                         As I understand it just because California withholds 25% for your federal taxes this doesn't get you off the hook for possibly up to another 10%  of federal tax that your accountant will have to file as an estimated tax which will probably be done before the end of the current calendar year in say three payments.
                        This is similar to what people who own their own businesses have to do with their own income which I'm sure Todd can touch on better than I can.
                          Your also still liable for California taxes even if you move out of  state. One last thing I'm not an accountant and please take the previous information as here say or speculation only thank you..........
                          TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                          A long and winding road
                          United States
                          Member #17084
                          June 10, 2005
                          4523 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The minimum they will withhold on the tax is 25% prior to issueing the first installment or cash payout. Another poster on here was correct that 35% is the rate at which the jackpot will be federally taxed/due that year.

The problem most people have is factoring in the state and local taxes since they vary by regions/counties. My state has tax exempt on state lottery winnings but my county is @ 1.7% so thats basically a total of 37% I'll owe the government if ever I win larger then 320,000 in any one drawing.

So using the theory of 63mill less 40% cash option=37.8 mill

, less the (actual) 35% federal + 2% local=

23.4 million cash to ticket holder.

Sounds good to me! :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

visiondude's avatar - eye3logo
                            light on my feet
                            United States
                            Member #356
                            May 20, 2002
                            2744 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2005, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

dumb question #1 ;

will a person fare better tax wise in a state with no state tax on lottery winnings like california? 

or how about a state like georgia that grabs 6% state tax?

for face value it seems  a californian would fare better,  but then there some tax idiosyncracies that i may not be aware of that would favor a player from georgia.

i am talking about  a lump sum after tax jackpot (mega millions).

thanks,

VISION

"i am .........."meant to"       

P.S.,  that RJoH  is a stand up guy.  thanks,  vision

until further notice,  it's  france everyday

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                              Member #2338
                              September 17, 2003
                              2063 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2005, 2:14 am - IP Logged

Depends. In washington there is no income tax on the lottery or investments. CA may not get the cut on the lottery winnings but will from any investment made. Only problem with WA I have figured out is a very low winnings on the 2nd numbers if someone wheels in WA. Sales in WA are lower than any other state in Mega so a pari-mutuel prize would be really small if split 41 times.

But than again cash is cash. I would much rather have 6% taken out of  a big pot than not winning the pot at all.