Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where would you live if you won?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 12 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a multimillion dollar jackpot such as Powerball or MegaMillions, where would you live?

Stay at my current house/apartment/etc. [ 3 ]  [7.32%]
Move to a new residence in the same community. [ 7 ]  [17.07%]
Same state/province but a different community. [ 12 ]  [29.27%]
Move to another state/province. [ 11 ]  [26.83%]
Move to a new country. [ 3 ]  [7.32%]
Don't Know. [ 5 ]  [12.20%]
Total Valid Votes [ 41 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #4602
May 7, 2004
699 Posts
Posted: May 7, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

If someone were to win a big jackpot such as Powerball or MegaMillions, they'd basically be set for life and be able to decide where they want to live.  There are a few places around I'd like to live, but I probably wouldn't be able to make a living in any of them so they aren't an option.  With a lottery windfall, that would no longer be an issue so I could live just about anywhere.

I'd probably stay in Louisiana, mainly for tax purposes, since taxes and general cost of living are low here compared to alot of other places.  I'd probably live in a smaller community though, somewhere quieter and more peaceful and less expensive since I'd want my money to last me the rest of my life.  I like the city I live in, but the traffic is terrible, but it's the best place for me to earn a living right now.

Other southern states look attractive to me too, so they might also be an option.  

What about everyone else.  Any thoughts?

PrisonerSix

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: May 7, 2005, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I'd move back home to Plant City, FL.

(insert signature here)

Columbia City, Indiana
      United States
      Member #2978
      December 9, 2003
      381 Posts
      Posted: May 7, 2005, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

PrisonerSix:

Where's the "Move to Another Planet" option?

Seriously, I think I'd look into the possibility of buying an island somewhere. Following construction of my presidential palace, I'd secede from my host nation and form my own country. I'd use the foreign aid I'd receive to build a military arsenal, then invade a neighboring island and annex it as part of New Jimland. Then, when the American Navy shows up and blows my island off the face of the Earth...

Okay, wait...

Well, this scenario isn't working out as well as I had initially imagined, so let's try this:

First, I'd buy a really fast car. Next, I'd buy Indiana, secede from America, rename it New Jimland and rent an apartment somewhere in Michigan. Then I'd invade Kentucky. By the time the Navy shows up, I'll be back in my apartment reading about it in the newspaper, so everything works out for everyone, see? (I didn't really want Kentucky - that was just a clever ploy to secure federal involvement to fix what's wrong in Indiana).

Admittedly, my chances of success would be greatly improved were Indiana not so far inland; but still, it's worth a try. A guy can dream, can't he?

If, for some reason, the above plan should prove impractical (which I won't know for certain until I win a jackpot), then I'd probably just move out-of-state. 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
        Houston, TX
        United States
        Member #9841
        December 23, 2004
        236 Posts
        Posted: May 7, 2005, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Oh I'd move to Europe.  Either the Netherlands, Portugal, or Italy.  That's my long term goal anyway.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: May 7, 2005, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

PrisonerSix:

Where's the "Move to Another Planet" option?

Seriously, I think I'd look into the possibility of buying an island somewhere. Following construction of my presidential palace, I'd secede from my host nation and form my own country. I'd use the foreign aid I'd receive to build a military arsenal, then invade a neighboring island and annex it as part of New Jimland. Then, when the American Navy shows up and blows my island off the face of the Earth...

Okay, wait...

Well, this scenario isn't working out as well as I had initially imagined, so let's try this:

First, I'd buy a really fast car. Next, I'd buy Indiana, secede from America, rename it New Jimland and rent an apartment somewhere in Michigan. Then I'd invade Kentucky. By the time the Navy shows up, I'll be back in my apartment reading about it in the newspaper, so everything works out for everyone, see? (I didn't really want Kentucky - that was just a clever ploy to secure federal involvement to fix what's wrong in Indiana).

Admittedly, my chances of success would be greatly improved were Indiana not so far inland; but still, it's worth a try. A guy can dream, can't he?

If, for some reason, the above plan should prove impractical (which I won't know for certain until I win a jackpot), then I'd probably just move out-of-state. 

lol,love the story but if i was you i'd also put each one of the indiana lottery directors in the state pen!

rgsc1234's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
            West Central Ohio
            United States
            Member #12586
            March 17, 2005
            64 Posts
            Posted: May 7, 2005, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I would move from Ohio to Kauai Hawaii in sunny POIPU

Play Till You Win... Then Play Some More!!!! 

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: May 7, 2005, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

i'm not sure where i would live.  i'd probably wait until after i get my bachelor's (and maybe master's) degree before making any decisions.  i'd still be an RA (and an SA sub) after i win though (should i still be in college).

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

MMGuy's avatar - waveform
                Houston, Tx
                United States
                Member #13043
                March 28, 2005
                119 Posts
                Posted: May 7, 2005, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I'd have a main house in KY, and some houses in other states and countries.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Portland,Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #14387
                  April 25, 2005
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: May 7, 2005, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

Actually you should have had an "other" category for me... I'd build or buy a house on the Oregon coast but also get a nice RV and go "walk about" for a couple of years -just wander around and see the country.. meet online friends, visit relatives, see all the beautiful places. And when I've covered this continent then I'd start on Europe, Asia, Africa..... :)

Deb

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3047 Posts
                    Posted: May 7, 2005, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I would stay at my current residence and just get upgrades.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: May 7, 2005, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

i'd move to nebraska and buy half the state,lol

ineed9million's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg
                        Philadelphia, PA
                        United States
                        Member #11436
                        February 13, 2005
                        176 Posts
                        Posted: May 7, 2005, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

i'd stay near my family and if they agreed i'd move everyone to a place we all could agree on.  if we cant agree then we'll just stay put....

Wisconsin
                          United States
                          Member #1610
                          June 3, 2003
                          668 Posts
                          Posted: May 8, 2005, 3:27 am - IP Logged

all of my distant relatives are from norway, so i might investigate my ancestry somewhat and spend time living part of each year in southern scandinavia

possibly living now and then in northern new zealand as well

... the lottery never fails to surprise!
                            takeitez's avatar - japheth
                            Carters Lake, Ga.
                            United States
                            Member #5313
                            June 29, 2004
                            1065 Posts
                            Posted: May 8, 2005, 6:51 am - IP Logged

There is a golf course about 10 miles from where I live now. I would buy or build a home there.

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

United States
                              Member #9579
                              December 12, 2004
                              2121 Posts
                              Posted: May 8, 2005, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

probably move closer to daughters,and help them.jimmy sands i disagree with,"if god wants you to win,you will"that's saying if you never win,god doesn't like you.also the sports players give god the credit,how about some of us who couldn't afford steroids,we didn't get to the big leagues!i feel it's just a game of chance;but where else could you be a donald trump,if you won.