Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Thinking Of Starting A Lotto Service

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: May 21, 2005, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking about starting a lotto service one of these days (note the word thinking). You know, something like betslips. I was thinking of offering Mega Millions, Powerball, and NJ Pick 6 Lotto. How does that sound?

(insert signature here)

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
    Yinzer Country, PA
    United States
    Member #4067
    March 18, 2004
    2741 Posts
    Posted: May 21, 2005, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

i think it would be too much time and effort, especially since you are in college.  perhaps if you limited it to school, and started some sort of lottery club and everyone pooled their money together.  i did that my freshman year.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23259 Posts
      Posted: May 21, 2005, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

If you're on a shoestring budget I would not recommend it.  It is a very difficult legal area to work within, and you can get really nailed if you don't get a good lawyer who can help you navigate the risky waters.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
        Clarksville
        United States
        Member #487
        July 15, 2002
        17638 Posts
        Posted: May 21, 2005, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I am not sure but I thought buying across state lines was illegal in the US.  I thought you "have to be there in person".  Also, how would a person get their tickets..you can't send lottery tickets through the mail..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: May 21, 2005, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

Littleoldlady:

There are a few complicated ways to make it happen legally, but like I said you really need legal help to be sure you're on solid footing.

Poway CA (San Diego County)
            United States
            Member #3489
            January 25, 2004
            14120 Posts
            Posted: May 21, 2005, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

If you send money (including checks) through the mail for the lottery service to buy the tickets for you, you have violated U.S. Postal Service regulations.  I used to do a "lottery pool" at work and I received a package from the California Lottery on how to do it and forms and contracts, etc.  That's when I learned that you can't use the U.S. mail.  Also, you MUST purchase the ticket.  The places on line that many of us use for playing Pick 3 and Pick 4 do not purchase any tickets (they aren't in the U.S.), but when the other services were around to bet on Powerball and Mega Millions, they actually purchased the tickets.  The guarantee they had, of course, was that they would refund your purchase price, if they failed to buy the ticket for you.  Can you imagine thinking you won $100 million only to find out the service missed buying your ticket? 

I like, Todd, would not recommend you try this venture! 

hosni's avatar - hosni
              Escondido, CA
              United States
              Member #70
              December 31, 2001
              12784 Posts
              Posted: May 21, 2005, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

When LottoWorld Magazine was still around and well, I was the California Super Lotto ticket purchasing agent for their $3 Billion Club. They would send me the Money Order and numbers to play via Airborne Express overnight from Naples, FL. That is how they got around the postal regulations. I would hold on to the tickets. If there was a win of substantial amount I would cash in, and apply that towards the next play. Sad to say we never won the JP. There were also other agents in different States playing for the big jackpots.

El-Ho

Retired Grumman Aerospace Corporation F-14 Tomcat AVIONICS Field Engineer Extraordinaire

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: May 22, 2005, 1:20 am - IP Logged

When LottoWorld Magazine was still around and well, I was the California Super Lotto ticket purchasing agent for their $3 Billion Club. They would send me the Money Order and numbers to play via Airborne Express overnight from Naples, FL. That is how they got around the postal regulations. I would hold on to the tickets. If there was a win of substantial amount I would cash in, and apply that towards the next play. Sad to say we never won the JP. There were also other agents in different States playing for the big jackpots.

El-Ho

Very interesting!

Of course, they have closed that loophole now.  All common carriers are included in the federal laws now, not just USPS.

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: May 22, 2005, 1:43 am - IP Logged

Well it was just an idea I had. I was just planning on taking a limited number of orders, and buying the tickets myself within PA & NJ. Then keeping all tickets in a file at my home, and any winners I will pay via PayPal.

(insert signature here)

United States
                    Member #1826
                    July 11, 2003
                    2645 Posts
                    Posted: May 22, 2005, 1:45 am - IP Logged

Another thing I was thinking of was starting a free lotto type site. I would need a lot of capital to buy the server, the software, and the ball machines though.

(insert signature here)

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                      Dump Water Florida
                      United States
                      Member #380
                      June 5, 2002
                      3102 Posts
                      Posted: May 22, 2005, 1:49 am - IP Logged

PayPal no longer allows you to use their services for funding any kind of gambling activity. You would soon lose your account.  BobP

Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23259 Posts
                        Posted: May 22, 2005, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Well it was just an idea I had. I was just planning on taking a limited number of orders, and buying the tickets myself within PA & NJ. Then keeping all tickets in a file at my home, and any winners I will pay via PayPal.

You might think that doing it on a limited basis lessens the risk, and it does to a degree, but trust me when I say it is not worth it if/when something happens.

Plus, BobP is absolutely correct.  When PayPal discovers that it is a gambling transaction, they will immediately freeze any money in the account, and you will be left holding the bag.

Naturally, you don't have to come to me for approval, I'm just trying to give you some benefit of experience. 

Poway CA (San Diego County)
                          United States
                          Member #3489
                          January 25, 2004
                          14120 Posts
                          Posted: May 22, 2005, 2:38 am - IP Logged

Another thing I was thinking of was starting a free lotto type site. I would need a lot of capital to buy the server, the software, and the ball machines though.

I have no idea what a "free lotto type site" is, but I will tell you that if you are talking about running any type of lottery, that is illegal in the United States.  Yes, states can pass their own laws that allow them to have a lottery, but they are the only ones that can do it!

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: May 22, 2005, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea what a "free lotto type site" is, but I will tell you that if you are talking about running any type of lottery, that is illegal in the United States.  Yes, states can pass their own laws that allow them to have a lottery, but they are the only ones that can do it!

I'm talking about something like FreeLotto.com or Luckysurf.com

(insert signature here)

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: May 22, 2005, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Nobody mentioned "Pic-A-State" which was based in PA.