Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Problems with PB drawing?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 12 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
North Dakota
United States
Member #13397
April 5, 2005
1623 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2005, 12:26 am - IP Logged

They were unable to show the Powerball drawing on TV tonight due to an error.  Anyone know what happened?  I bet a lot of people were upset because $180 million was up. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    United States
    Member #3013
    December 13, 2003
    3052 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2005, 1:03 am - IP Logged

It took a long time for them to post the winning numbers at powerball.com an extra 30 minutes. 

North Dakota
      United States
      Member #13397
      April 5, 2005
      1623 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2005, 1:11 am - IP Logged

I'm waiting to see if anyone won.  So far I only have one state's results and that's SC.  One person won $100,000 but no jackpot but winner.  1 down 28 to go. 

Greenwich, CT
        United States
        Member #4793
        May 24, 2004
        1822 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2005, 1:53 am - IP Logged

It took a long time for them to post the winning numbers at powerball.com an extra 30 minutes. 

Probably had to redo the drawing to keep the jackpot rolling to keep sales up to make some....money....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2005, 2:18 am - IP Logged

I read this earlier on the internet.

POWERBALL, May 26  /PRNewswire/ -- The Powerball drawing for Wednesday,

May 25, 2005, was delayed 42 minutes due to a minor problem with Powerball

security procedures.  The drawing was held in the presence of a city police

officer and an independent auditing firm, was videotaped, and was displayed on

the Powerball website at http://www.powerball.com.

The official numbers drawn were: 27-29-31-42-46 and the red Powerball: 33.

The Power Play multiplier was 2.  The jackpot was estimated at $180 million

but turned out to be $182 million with a cash option of $103.2 million.

Before a drawing can be held, Powerball rules require that every state

involved in the game confirm that two identical copies of the play data are in

the possession of independent computer systems.  One of the member lotteries

(Iowa) was unable to confirm that two valid copies of the data were held by

independent parties and so the drawing was delayed until both sites could be

secured by lottery officials.

"We understand that security and trust is the most important product that

a lottery has to sell," said Chuck Strutt, director of the group that is owned

and operated by the 29 lotteries that run the Powerball game.  "The lotteries

require absolute assurance that the computer records of the players' tickets

are complete, balanced, and secure.  If we cannot get that assurance by draw

time, then we delay the drawing until we are assured that every player's

ticket is properly recorded and secured.  Nobody likes to delay a drawing for

a big jackpot like this, but security never takes a backseat to public

relations."

The drawing was delayed past the satellite time reserved by the Multi-

State Lottery Association and so could not be uplinked to the more than 90

television stations that air the drawing.  The drawing was videotaped in front

of drawing officials, which include a city police officer and an independent

auditing firm.  The drawing is also available at the Powerball web site.

The Power Play is a feature that allows players to multiply their prizes

by the multiplier number drawn.  The most common number drawn is "5", but

players can also multiply their numbers by 2, 3, or 4.  On March 31, 110

players used numbers from a Chinese fortune cookie to match five of the

numbers drawn to win Powerball's second prize of $100,000 in cash.  There were

21 players who also purchased the Power Play option and multiplied their prize

by five to win a half-million dollars in cash.

Doug Orr

Multi-State Lottery Association

515-453-1404

SOURCE Multi-State Lottery Association

Web Site: http://www.musl.com http://www.powerball.com

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2005, 2:20 am - IP Logged

I bet Doug will be getting a lot of calls.

North Dakota
              United States
              Member #13397
              April 5, 2005
              1623 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2005, 2:29 am - IP Logged

Atleast they are making the game fair.  I would rather them delay the drawing to make sure everything is inline.  They made it sound so serious on TV though.  I have another question.  When was the last remote drawing for Powerball?  I remember a MM drawing in NYC for a very large jackpot last year.  I can't remember one for powerball though.  Just a thought.  Strange thing is powerball drawings are held in Iowa the state that screwed up in the first place.  I think they should move the drawings to TN lol. 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: May 26, 2005, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I would rather have them have problems with the ball machine than computer drawings. At least the ball drawings have mechanical problems as compared to a poor rng that might have a bias. One could only imagine how much fun a blue screen of death would be on a lottery computer during the drawing.

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: May 26, 2005, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Atleast they are making the game fair.  I would rather them delay the drawing to make sure everything is inline.  They made it sound so serious on TV though.  I have another question.  When was the last remote drawing for Powerball?  I remember a MM drawing in NYC for a very large jackpot last year.  I can't remember one for powerball though.  Just a thought.  Strange thing is powerball drawings are held in Iowa the state that screwed up in the first place.  I think they should move the drawings to TN lol. 

They probably hold the drawings in Iowa because Iowa was one of the initial members of the MUSL.

United States
                    Member #9579
                    December 12, 2004
                    2121 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2005, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

i wonder how late before the drawing can one purchase a ticket,and is it the same in all states pb is in?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                      Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2005, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

i think its an hour before the drawing they quit selling....

United States
                        Member #9579
                        December 12, 2004
                        2121 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2005, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

ok,thanks lottomike.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3052 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2005, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I hope their is not a delay in the powerball drawing for saturday.  I got to know if I going to be moving on up to the penthouse in the sky.

United States
                            Member #9579
                            December 12, 2004
                            2121 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2005, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

apparently they don't know what balls to send out on lottery,because of such large sales,they have up to the drawing,on this gigantic jackpot,probably go in detroit area,with some rediculous pb numbers.