Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New machines for the new Mega Millions?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by MPJO.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
twisted's avatar - underground
New Jersey
United States
Member #2376
September 25, 2003
582 Posts
Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Will the changes in MM bring new lottery machines to some states or will it only be a minor software upgrade?  I live in NJ and I just really dislike the lottery machines and the play slips here.  I just hope the changes require a new set of lottery machines for NJ.

Does anyone have any information on this?  What about other states in MM? 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23258 Posts
    Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

What do you dislike about the NJ draws/betslips?  I don't have a problem with either of them.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #2376
      September 25, 2003
      582 Posts
      Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

What do you dislike about the NJ draws/betslips?  I don't have a problem with either of them.

I dont like how you cant just select the mega ball and leave it up to the machine to select the five white balls(or just select a few white balls and the mega ball and let the machine select the rest).  I tried doing this the other day and the machine gave an error.  I have no problems doing this in Pennsylvania playing Powerball.

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Bad news, a game modification only requires a software modification. But it will mean new play slips, so maybe you'll get your wish.

(insert signature here)

Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23258 Posts
          Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:54 pm - IP Logged

Twisted,

OK, I understand, and I agree with you.  There have been lots of times I wish I could have the computer select the MB, and I select the first five.

JS9, it would also probably require a software update on the machines, because none of the games can handle that functinality with the playslips.

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: June 4, 2005, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

I dont like how you cant just select the mega ball and leave it up to the machine to select the five white balls(or just select a few white balls and the mega ball and let the machine select the rest).  I tried doing this the other day and the machine gave an error.  I have no problems doing this in Pennsylvania playing Powerball.

Ewww that would be awful.  I had the machine pick 2 numbers for me on MM for Friday while I filled in three white balls and the mega ball.  It's an easy way to mix key and random numbers.

hudson valley
              United States
              Member #6767
              September 7, 2004
              87 Posts
              Posted: June 8, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

ny mm's playslips allow u to pick some or all #'s.

i did it last draw

wound up with all #'s over 25 because it used a couple of my #'s from my playslip.

word of advice

dont use that on ur last game on ur card

half pick on ur first game

learn from my mistakes

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: June 8, 2005, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Twisted,

OK, I understand, and I agree with you.  There have been lots of times I wish I could have the computer select the MB, and I select the first five.

JS9, it would also probably require a software update on the machines, because none of the games can handle that functinality with the playslips.

That's what I said. It would require a software update/modification.

(insert signature here)

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23258 Posts
                  Posted: June 8, 2005, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

JS9,

You were talking about a game change requiring a software modification (for the larger number pool), and I said that allowing the machines to have a Quick Pick only on the Mega Ball would require a software change.  Two separate things, two separate software changes.

Redmond WA
                    United States
                    Member #5966
                    July 29, 2004
                    71 Posts
                    Posted: June 8, 2005, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

It must be a NJ thing.

Here in Washington state I can pick the Mega ball myself and have the computer

pick the rest or I can pick 1,2,3,4,5, white balls and have the computer pick the

Mega ball or any number of combinations.

The machine will come up with an error because it knows that you have not picked all 6 numbers.

When the clerk tells you that there is an error just tell him to hit the quick pick button and it should print a ticket made up of your numbers and the computers numbers.

As far as a software change  I don't think so ...I think it is an operator error from the store clerk at the store you go to who freaks out when the machine gives him or her an error.

If you don't have ALL 6 NUMBERS it will give an error and spit the playslip out.

Mike

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23258 Posts
                      Posted: June 8, 2005, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

MPJO,

You're right, it is a NJ thing.  NJ's lottery machines do not have the functionality you're describing, although they COULD, if they reprogrammed the software inside the lottery machine.  Lottery machines can download updates to the software through their modem, so it's not like an operator would have to run around to every single machine and load software onto it.

In NJ machines, if you fill out a betslip, you need to specify all five numbers plus the Mega Ball, or fill in the Quick Pick square (for all five numbers and the Mega Ball), or else the machine will not process the betslip.  The lottery operator does not have an option to Quick Pick the missing numbers.

New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #2376
                        September 25, 2003
                        582 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2005, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

It must be a NJ thing.

pick the rest or I can pick 1,2,3,4,5, white balls and have the computer pick the

The machine will come up with an error because it knows that you have not picked all 6 numbers.

When the clerk tells you that there is an error just tell him to hit the quick pick button and it should print a ticket made up of your numbers and the computers numbers.

As far as a software change  I don't think so ...I think it is an operator error from the store clerk at the store you go to who freaks out when the machine gives him or her an error.

If you don't have ALL 6 NUMBERS it will give an error and spit the playslip out.

Mike

In Pennsylvania, all you have to do is, for example, pick two white balls and the PB and also fill in the "quick pick" square if you want the computer to pick the rest of the balls.  I'm not sure if you can do this in Washington but you should give it a try.  You shouldnt have to tell the clerk to hit the quick pick button for the computer to pick the rest of the balls for you.

Redmond WA
                          United States
                          Member #5966
                          July 29, 2004
                          71 Posts
                          Posted: June 9, 2005, 12:11 am - IP Logged

Todd,

That's a bummer that NJ doesn't have that option.

Maybe Howard Dean can help you out? :>)

I do it all the time where I fill in 1 to 5 of the numbers and

I just tell the clerk to quick pick the rest.

I  DON'T   fill in the little Quick Pick box because that causes an error.

It works just fine except that I need to get all 6 numbers:>) $444 million or more

Mike

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                            Member #2338
                            September 17, 2003
                            2063 Posts
                            Posted: June 9, 2005, 12:54 am - IP Logged

It must be a NJ thing.

Mike

You're forgeting the moron factor. I find many cashiers unable to understand or properly use the lottery terminal at all. If the clerk knows what they are doing then they will ask if you want the rest of the numbers filled in.

Redmond WA
                              United States
                              Member #5966
                              July 29, 2004
                              71 Posts
                              Posted: June 9, 2005, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Dvdiva,

You are right about the Moron factor here in Washington but once you explain to them how it works they kind of go....Oh I didn't know that.

Anyway I pick my own numbers and I have the computer pick the rest most of the time.

As for New Jersey not being able to do this I think Bill Clinton said it best... I feel your pain.

Mike