Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery winners right to privacy

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TNPATL.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2005, 10:58 am - IP Logged

We lottery players should organize a lobby to campaign for privacy. I was annoyed reading about the Powerball winner in Idaho, who requested anonymity, but Idaho Lottery insisted he reveal his identity. I can understand that the lottery wish to demonstrate that everything is above board, but it is not necessary to require winners to go public. We would not want our employer or bank disclosing our financial situation to the world, why do people, who a fortunate enough to win a jackpot have to do through that? If we won a large amount, would we really want everyone to know, especially considering all the crazies out there. In the interest of safety and security, we should campaign for laws to forbid lotteries publicizing winners without their written consent.

Baton Rouge, LA
    United States
    Member #4602
    May 7, 2004
    699 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2005, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately, about the only way to keep contests and lotteries above board is to reveal winners' names it looks like, or at least make it possible to get the names of winners.  Alot of contests may not publicize the winner, but will make the names of winners available through other means such as the WWW or by sending a SASE and requesting it.

There are however, some ways, which have been talked about here, a big winner can keep their identity out of the public eye such as using a corporation, trust or LLC to claim their prize.  These methods aren't 100% private, but do help.  In fact, one can even get a corporation set up for them from a variety of companies on the WWW.

I doubt the laws will ever be changed to allow for anomymity so what winners must do is to protect themselves.

PrisonerSix 

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2005, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Since the lotteries here are run by the states, the information (at least to my understanding) is the same as any information regarding state government.  That is to say, it is "Public record". It has to be available to the average citizen upon request. No diffeerent than how much individual govts spend on different budgets, how the politicians vote, etc. They don't have to broadcast it, but it is always available on request.

If you win a large jackpot though, there is no law that says you have to say "yes" to anyone who wants you to contribute money to anything, no matter how sad their tale may be. IF I would win a large jackpot, the first thing I would do is unplug my phone while I get a new, private listing. The second thing is to open a new cell phone account with a new number, and only give it to my immediate family. Meanwhile, I will be throwing away a lot of snailmail I receive without opening it if I don't know who its from.... I'd be too busy looking for a new place to live, anyway. LOL

As time passes, interest in me as a jackpot winner would diminish, like it does with all news stories.

You just have to face facts...if you win a large jackpot, it will change your life. If you aren't willling to adjust to it, don't play the jackpot games.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1272 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2005, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

In Norway anonymity for lottery winners are a rule. If they want to go public the lottery commision is happy of course.
        There are always some winners who wants publicity in the media anyway and the lottery commision takes advantage of those for their own publicity.

In countries where you must have your name published only thing to do seems to be name change after winning?

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2005, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

The lottery's one of the few institutions that's ever existed where anyone with a dollar stands a chance to  join the super-wealthy.... low risk, money-wise, lousy chances for winning, but a  lot of common folks do win.

However, it follows that, until they have the money in their hands, those poor people, low income people, middle income people don't have the wherewithal, nor the knowhow to own certain rights they'll have as soon as the money is in the bank account.  That comes with owning shyster lawyers, accountants, and experiencing a sudden new respect from bureaucrats of every stripe.

On the other hand, there's no privacy anyhow.  For the most part the word privacy is headed down the long road to becoming an archaism.  No place to run, no place to hide.

Jack 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2005, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Depends how much you win. The smaller the prize the less the media will care. Anything under 100 million means no one will know who you are unless you want them to. If you break the record at 314 or 363 million it doesn't matter how hard you try to hide the media would find you.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2005, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Depends how much you win. The smaller the prize the less the media will care. Anything under 100 million means no one will know who you are unless you want them to. If you break the record at 314 or 363 million it doesn't matter how hard you try to hide the media would find you.

I'm not so sure about that. There are people that keep a constant eye on anyone that wins a $1M jackpot or more, and they chase after the winners.

A couple of years ago I was broadsided at an intersection. It was entirely the other guy's fault, and to his credit, he admitted it right off. My car was totaled, but the only publicity about it was the report of the police officer that came to the scene after I called. I wasn't injured and neither was the other driver.

But all of a sudden, within a few days of the police filing a report, I was DELUGED with snailmail and phone ccalls from personal injury lawyers, and even.....chiropractors and doctors ! The only way they could al have known about the accident was if they had been monitoring all accident reports (which are public record, just like lottery winners names are public record)

The sharks and shysters are out there. They monitor. Until you blow them all off, they keep coming. So it isn't the media's interest in you that brings them out....They already have a system set up so they can pounce. So if you win a jackpot that looks large enough so that every sidewinder out there can get a piece of it for "nothing", you will likely find yourself getting nothing but mail and phone calls from every Tom, Dick and Harry out there that has some wonderful scheme that you simply MUST invest in, or some poor, unfortunate person or persons that you simply must "help" by writing a check.

Practice now saying "No".  It could come in handy if you win a jackpot.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                699 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2005, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Since the lotteries here are run by the states, the information (at least to my understanding) is the same as any information regarding state government.  That is to say, it is "Public record". It has to be available to the average citizen upon request. No diffeerent than how much individual govts spend on different budgets, how the politicians vote, etc. They don't have to broadcast it, but it is always available on request.

If you win a large jackpot though, there is no law that says you have to say "yes" to anyone who wants you to contribute money to anything, no matter how sad their tale may be. IF I would win a large jackpot, the first thing I would do is unplug my phone while I get a new, private listing. The second thing is to open a new cell phone account with a new number, and only give it to my immediate family. Meanwhile, I will be throwing away a lot of snailmail I receive without opening it if I don't know who its from.... I'd be too busy looking for a new place to live, anyway. LOL

As time passes, interest in me as a jackpot winner would diminish, like it does with all news stories.

You just have to face facts...if you win a large jackpot, it will change your life. If you aren't willling to adjust to it, don't play the jackpot games.

You can say no to salespeople, charities, etc., but when someone shows up on your doorstep with a gun and/or tries to take you or a family member hostage, that's a different problem.  That is the one you should really worry about.

Even though the things you suggest help, they won't solve all of your privacy issues.  It's amazing how many databases our names and addresses are in these days.  Our names are on credit reports with at least 3 bureaus, they are in the databases of public utilities companies, at the Office of Motor Vehicles if you have a drivers license or vehicle, and are kept on file with the USPS and other carriers such as FedEx, UPS, etc., if they deliver  to your house in your name.  To get a P.O. Box or private mail box at a mail center like the UPS Store, you have to give your address and ID there as well, and they also keep it on file.

If you own property, that is also public record.  Many communities now allow property records to be searched and mapped online with aerial photos thanks to GPS technology.

There is no 100% way to be a true private citizen these days, but there are things one can do to make it a little more difficult to be found.

PrisonerSix 

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2005, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

The lottery's one of the few institutions that's ever existed where anyone with a dollar stands a chance to  join the super-wealthy.... low risk, money-wise, lousy chances for winning, but a  lot of common folks do win.

However, it follows that, until they have the money in their hands, those poor people, low income people, middle income people don't have the wherewithal, nor the knowhow to own certain rights they'll have as soon as the money is in the bank account.  That comes with owning shyster lawyers, accountants, and experiencing a sudden new respect from bureaucrats of every stripe.

On the other hand, there's no privacy anyhow.  For the most part the word privacy is headed down the long road to becoming an archaism.  No place to run, no place to hide.

Jack 

I've heard alot of stories about people who lose all their winnings and don't have anything to show for it.  If I win, I plan to be sensible with the money by doing things like paying off the house, car, and other debts.  The rest will be put into a combination of bank accounts and investments to provide a good income for me.

I know what you mean about privacy.  Like I said in my other post, it amazes me how many databases our names and addresses are in.  The only way to get private is to try and keep out of them, which is next to impossible.

PrisonerSix 

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                    Member #9517
                    December 10, 2004
                    1272 Posts
                    Posted: June 19, 2005, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

If someone could invent a system which wins a lot of 2nd and 3rd prizes but no 1st prizes, you wouldn't have to worry about publicity. Wink

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: June 19, 2005, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Jack 

I've heard alot of stories about people who lose all their winnings and don't have anything to show for it.  If I win, I plan to be sensible with the money by doing things like paying off the house, car, and other debts.  The rest will be put into a combination of bank accounts and investments to provide a good income for me.

I know what you mean about privacy.  Like I said in my other post, it amazes me how many databases our names and addresses are in.  The only way to get private is to try and keep out of them, which is next to impossible.

PrisonerSix 

prisoner six:

I've never known anyone who won the lottery, but I've known a number of men who have been high, wide and handsome moneywise, then dirt poor, then rich again, several times.  Those men would tell you it ain't a big deal, one way or the other.  You lose sometimes, you win sometimes.  You take risks and sometimes you lose.

But that's people who didn't get it by winning the lottery.  They weren't looking for accounts and investments to provide a good income for them.  They saw life as a risky business, saw themselves as risk takers, because, they'd think life wasn't a lot of fun otherwise.

It's not the socialized way of thinking, not what the 'smart' folks would say a person should do.  But the fact that those smart people have never been rich, never been poor, never been much of anything but smart doesn't translate to them knowing much about life and living.

Jack

Australia
                        Member #17096
                        June 11, 2005
                        225 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2005, 9:12 am - IP Logged

In the UK, you can remain anonymous is you are a winner.

"A winner can opt for anonymity, which is absolute. Those opting for anonymity can be confident that we will make every effort to ensure that their wish is respected and cannot, in the event of any media enquiry, comment in any way on whether a winner has won, if they have chosen to remain anonymous."

UK National Lottery

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3333 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2005, 9:46 am - IP Logged

In my opinion you're dealing with a form of public funds since lotteries are voluntary taxation, therefore the winner has to be disclosed in some manner to inform people that it was not a rigged draw. 

Found this on the Powerball site where laws in LA permitted some anonymity.  I'd personally find a good tax attorney, which would be needed anyway, and let them do the talking.

"Duchess Trust

February 12, 2005

Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, La. – Just before noon this morning at the Louisiana Lottery's headquarters in Baton Rouge, local attorney Stephanie LaBorde claimed the $40.6 million Feb. 12 Powerball jackpot prize on behalf of her client, who established The Duchess Trust to receive the winnings.

The winner chose the one-time cash payment option of $23,041,529.64, which amounted to $16,129,070.75 after state and federal taxes were withheld.

According to LaBorde, her client is a 55-year-old, long-time Baton Rouge resident who owns her own governmental relations practice. She also said the winner was a regular Lottery player who purchased $5 dollars worth of Powerball tickets every Saturday.

LaBorde said her client plans to pay off debt, help friends, family and charitable causes, and slow down a bit. "She's also revised the budget for purchasing a replacement house since hers is currently up for sale," said LaBorde.

About one week before hitting the Powerball jackpot, LaBorde said the winner adopted an abandoned Labrador retriever and called him her "lucky dog," since the dog was destined for a better life. "She's convinced the dog was her good luck talisman," said LaBorde of the winner.

The winning ticket was purchased at 6:42 p.m. on Feb. 12 at the Shell Food Mart on College Drive. The ticket was a quick pick, meaning the Lottery's terminal randomly selected the numbers. The retailer will receive a $25,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket. The winning numbers for the Feb. 12 drawing were 18-21-28-49-50 and the Powerball was 16.

There have been eight previous Louisiana Powerball jackpot winners. The Feb. 12 jackpot was the second largest single-ticket jackpot winner sold in Louisiana and the first ever sold in Baton Rouge. The last time a Powerball jackpot was won in Louisiana was Feb. 22, 2003, claimed by Cello Investments LLC of Belle Chase.

The Lottery encourages anyone who thinks they may have a gambling problem or has friends or family who may have a gambling problem to call toll free 1-877-770-7867. Ticket purchasers must be at least 21 years of age."

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2005/021205la.shtm

Good luck to everyone!

FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #5364
                            July 1, 2004
                            88 Posts
                            Posted: June 21, 2005, 9:35 am - IP Logged

We lottery players should organize a lobby to campaign for privacy. I was annoyed reading about the Powerball winner in Idaho, who requested anonymity, but Idaho Lottery insisted he reveal his identity. I can understand that the lottery wish to demonstrate that everything is above board, but it is not necessary to require winners to go public. We would not want our employer or bank disclosing our financial situation to the world, why do people, who a fortunate enough to win a jackpot have to do through that? If we won a large amount, would we really want everyone to know, especially considering all the crazies out there. In the interest of safety and security, we should campaign for laws to forbid lotteries publicizing winners without their written consent.

After hearing of the shenanigans of the Texas lottery with their jackpot optimism and the previous posts about the Indiana lottery. I for one am now agreeable to openness as far as winners being provided for legitimacy purposes. If I won I know I’d love anonymity but if there isn’t oversight by the public and the press I fear some members of the big two lotteries might get creative with the games

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: June 21, 2005, 9:42 am - IP Logged

"After hearing of the shenanigans of the Texas lottery with their jackpot optimism and the previous posts about the Indiana lottery. I for one am now agreeable to openness as far as winners being provided for legitimacy purposes. If I won I know I’d love anonymity but if there isn’t oversight by the public and the press I fear some members of the big two lotteries might get creative with the games"

I Agree!    I Agree!   I Agree!   

Good luck to everyone!