Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Did the Fortune cookie strike again?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Redmond WA
United States
Member #5966
July 29, 2004
71 Posts
Posted: June 19, 2005, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I see Powerball was nailed big time this weekend and I was wondering if another Fortune cookie escaped and struck Powerball again.

If it did then the MUSL will probably buy the Fortune cookie factory and shut the factory down.

Mike

New Mexico
    United States
    Member #12305
    March 10, 2005
    2984 Posts
    Posted: June 19, 2005, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

Rumor has it all those lowball tickets were bought by a consortium consisting of previous jackpot winners.... mainly Homer Henderson and Jack Whittaker.

Probably not true, however.

Jack

lottobrain's avatar - box
      Smyrna, DE
      United States
      Member #10074
      January 1, 2005
      125 Posts
      Posted: June 19, 2005, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

That just shows what happens when a lot of low numbers hit.  Many people that pick their own numbers play kid's ages, birthday numbers, etc.  Knowledgeable players generally play more balanced combinations that would help them to be perhaps the only winner of the jackpot.  It is pretty amazing that no one got the jackpot with 72 winners having all 5 white balls.  The combination of 1-2-3-4-5-6 is one of the favorites among neophite lottery players. I read once....I believe it was an article in Lottery Players Magazine......that when the Florida Lotto jackpot was really big back in the early 90's or at sometime back then....there were 50,000 tickets sold with that combination and that if it had hit, the winners would have received something like a one time payoff of a only a $1,000. Lottobrain

New Mexico
        United States
        Member #12305
        March 10, 2005
        2984 Posts
        Posted: June 19, 2005, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

A grand for a buck ain't a bad payoff.

Jack

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
          Alaska
          United States
          Member #16217
          May 27, 2005
          287 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2005, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I play some birthdays but because I know about that whole low ball thing and having to share jackpots.  I change them up a little. For example my daughter's birthday is March second and I have the number 32 in just about all of my pick 5 or 6 combinations. My son's birthday is March 7th and I play 37 as well. I also like that number because the word "riches" appears 37 times in the Bible. Betcha didn't know that. And I always try to add one oddball number in the 40's (LottoSouth and MM). My daughter is stuck on 43 right now so I might put that one; not sure. -Bonnie

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: June 20, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I play some birthdays but because I know about that whole low ball thing and having to share jackpots.  I change them up a little. For example my daughter's birthday is March second and I have the number 32 in just about all of my pick 5 or 6 combinations. My son's birthday is March 7th and I play 37 as well. I also like that number because the word "riches" appears 37 times in the Bible. Betcha didn't know that. And I always try to add one oddball number in the 40's (LottoSouth and MM). My daughter is stuck on 43 right now so I might put that one; not sure. -Bonnie

atlasshrugged:

43 and 37 aren't bad numbers, seems to me.  Both of them have been hitting a lot lately. 

But whether a person has to share a jackpot or not, the numbers that are going to hit on a given draw are the ones a person ought to try to play.  If those happen to be the same ones a lot of other people play, too bad, if they're also the ones that hit.  Better to get something for your buck than being smart and not getting anythiing.

Just my view, though.

Neophyte's an interesting turn of phrase.  I wonder if 'casual players' wouldn't strip away a lot of the baggage it carries.

Jack

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2005, 6:46 am - IP Logged

i like 6,8,19,24,31

United States
                Member #5453
                July 5, 2004
                135 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2005, 7:21 am - IP Logged

never ever play the combo 1-2-3-4-5-6  ( trust me it will never ever, ever  show up )

that sure bet

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
                  Alaska
                  United States
                  Member #16217
                  May 27, 2005
                  287 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2005, 7:48 am - IP Logged

Jack, don't get me wrong, I'll take what I can get. But I was just looking at GA Fantasy Five draws since May 1st. There were 36 combinations that had a number over 31. There were 50 draws in that particular sample. That means that in the last 50 draws 72% had a number over 31. It just seems like common sense to me to add in higher numbers not because I won't have to share but because a combination with them is more likely to fall. Heck, all I need is 29k (24k of which is student loans) after taxes and I will be completely debt free. That would make me extatic. -Bonnie

New Mexico
                    United States
                    Member #12305
                    March 10, 2005
                    2984 Posts
                    Posted: June 20, 2005, 8:19 am - IP Logged

Atlasshrugged:  123456

I agree it's an unlikely combo.  I don't see myself ever playing it.

On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me to see it hit.... to see anything hit.  As I was working on things this weekend I noticed one draw where the first column was maybe 2 or 3, everything else high 40s to early 50s, along with a high redball.  Doing searches by number  pulls up a lot of unlikely things, which aren't so unlikely.  If those numbers are  random every combo has an equal chance of hitting every draw with every other combo.

Every one of them is unlikely. 

Jack

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: June 20, 2005, 8:21 am - IP Logged

never ever play the combo 1-2-3-4-5-6  ( trust me it will never ever, ever  show up )

that sure bet

Thanks.  I'm going to tuck that one away in my chest and savor it.

Jack

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19817 Posts
                        Posted: June 20, 2005, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I see Powerball was nailed big time this weekend and I was wondering if another Fortune cookie escaped and struck Powerball again.

If it did then the MUSL will probably buy the Fortune cookie factory and shut the factory down.

Mike

It could be that someone has produced lottery software that comes up with the same combinations to play for a particular lottery for all its users.  Ever wonder why all those claims about software that have won big in the past many times only worked for one person per lottery in spite of the fact that they have thousands of users? Lotteries only have one set of winning numbers per drawing, so if software was really predicting the best numbers to play for a particular lottery then those numbers would be the same for all its users or it would be no better than a RNG (random number generator).  If that is the case then PowerBall has a problem with the way its numbers are picked.  I,m sure they will investigate to see if there is some reoccurring pattern that happening that shouldn't in a totally random environment.

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: June 20, 2005, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

Mike

It could be that someone has produced lottery software that comes up with the same combinations to play for a particular lottery for all its users.  Ever wonder why all those claims about software that have won big in the past many times only worked for one person per lottery in spite of the fact that they have thousands of users? Lotteries only have one set of winning numbers per drawing, so if software was really predicting the best numbers to play for a particular lottery then those numbers would be the same for all its users or it would be no better than a RNG (random number generator).  If that is the case then PowerBall has a problem with the way its numbers are picked.  I,m sure they will investigate to see if there is some reoccurring pattern that happening that shouldn't in a totally random environment.

RJOh 

Solid thinking!  Good point.

Jack