Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Hi! Winning then ...what next?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 11 years ago by acronym007.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
USA
United States
Member #1849
July 15, 2003
265 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2005, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

Hey GamerGirl, there you have it another spin, somehting we didn't really delve into in my last post. I thought long and hard about that. My son has a friend who is handicapped since birth, the money I win could help restore the use of his limbs. How great would that be, it would indeed be great but we must be careful not to play God. In my theory, suppose we fix him, then he dies in a tragic car accident. Now, he never would have been able to drive if I didn't help him, so did I help him? It's a tough one, one I think that requires much prayer and consideration. Who am I to say who lives and dies, too much money equals too much power. Everyone will die someday and all the money in the world won't stop it. But all and all you are right, for sure this money could also be put to good use somehow, I would just say it would have to be done carefully, trying not to play God in anyone's life which I strongly feel can lead to disaster. The winner of these lotteries (jackpots) really have a HUGE responsiblity, more than we all know. Cheers.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
    Houston, TX
    United States
    Member #9841
    December 23, 2004
    236 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2005, 1:06 am - IP Logged

When u get to the lottery office, choose annual payments. 

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2005, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Not me.

USA
        United States
        Member #1849
        July 15, 2003
        265 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2005, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I'm a cash guy myself. I don't trust anyone with my money for thrity years... LOL.

Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
          Member #3654
          February 9, 2004
          70 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2005, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

If you win a large jackpot, the first thing to do is not tell any of your relatives or friends.  You will not believe how many of them will expect you to give them some of your winnings.  My husband recently won $12,900 playing the pick4 and after taxes netted $9,675.  Which is still a nice sum and this money will help out tremendously.  But, everyone thinks because we won this money that we are obligated to give them some of it.  Why????  If you play the lottery obviously you would like to win enough to make a difference in your life, why would these people think that you have to change theirs is beyond my comprehension.  Bottom-line, be selective in who you tell about your good fortune.

Of course I would tell my family and friends. And I'd split my winnings with most of them. If I won a big jackpot I'd take care of my immediate family for the rest of their lives. I'd feel that it was my obligation as well as my pleasure to do so.

I can't imagine that you'd be so selfish as to not give your family some money if you won $100 million dollars. My God, this is your FAMILY!

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
            Alaska
            United States
            Member #16217
            May 27, 2005
            287 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2005, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Dude, you don't know my family. Certain members can be the biggest leaches in the world. One member in particular already thinks that the rest of his family owes him a living. It would only be that much worse if he found out I had won a major jackpot. He will be the first in line with his hand out. Heck, this family member would even be so low as to try and sue me for the whole amount. I could so see him doing that. -Bonnie

Fwup's avatar - babylaugh 086.gif

United States
              Member #3654
              February 9, 2004
              70 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2005, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Dude, you don't know my family. Certain members can be the biggest leaches in the world. One member in particular already thinks that the rest of his family owes him a living. It would only be that much worse if he found out I had won a major jackpot. He will be the first in line with his hand out. Heck, this family member would even be so low as to try and sue me for the whole amount. I could so see him doing that. -Bonnie

OK, let me rephrase my post. I would tell my family and friends, because most of them I would enjoy giving money to, and some of them I would enjoy NOT giving money to. One in particular I would enjoy VERY much not giving money to. Evil Smile

Alaska
                United States
                Member #16217
                May 27, 2005
                287 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2005, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Same here. There are some I would dearly love to help out as much as I possibly could and of course there are those whom would learn very soon that suddenly they can't even find me. -Bonnie

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31358 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2005, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

do unto others....

love to nibble those micey feet.

Alaska
                    United States
                    Member #16217
                    May 27, 2005
                    287 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2005, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

Actually I have come up with the most wonderful plan which will totally chafe his hind end. I am going to give him a portion of my winnings. The amount will be based on how big said jackpot is. I am going to put this portion into a trust for him which will pay him a percentage in monthly installments. Now here is the clincher. I am going to make a cousin of ours the executor of this trust along with a professional financial planner. There are actually a few reasons. I totally trust this cousin to do what is in the best interest of this freeloader family member. But the freeloader hates this cousin with a burning passion. It will totally chafe him to no end to have to go through this cousin when it comes to the trust. I think that the reason freeloader relative hates this cousin is because this cousin is extremely responsible and successful in life and I think freeloader relative is jelous. Oh but I will totally have fun with that and so will my cousin. The entire family pretty much laughs at this relative and his sillyness. -Bonnie

USA
                      United States
                      Member #1849
                      July 15, 2003
                      265 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2005, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Bonnie, you're too funny!!! LOL.. Skip it, if I win I'm hiring Bonnie to give to my family members. Hehe