Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are we seeing the results of CA?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
mrmst's avatar - disney14
Glen Burnie, MD
United States
Member #427
June 27, 2002
208 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2005, 9:40 am - IP Logged
Are we seeing any results of CA joining Mega Millions?  Is the jackpot rising faster at this level than it was before CA joined?  Does not seem like it to me - but it may just be that I had higher expectations.

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
    Alaska
    United States
    Member #16217
    May 27, 2005
    287 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2005, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Me personally, I didn't think that CA would have alot of influence on the jackpots. I just figured the main thing that would happen is that less people would win less often because of the matrix change and the end jackpots would be higher. I can't say if they are moving up any higher or not because I haven't really paid attention. -Bonnie

bobby623's avatar - abstract
      San Angelo, Texas
      United States
      Member #1097
      January 31, 2003
      1394 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2005, 9:56 am - IP Logged

According to some unofficial sales info posted at lottoreport@lottoreport.com, folks in Calif. have bought over 8 million tickets in two drawings. The data, which shows sales in all 12 states, shows Calif sales topped 3 million in the first draw and 5 million in the second.

Sales in other states stayed about the same.

If the trend in Calif continues, there should be some dramatic increases in the jackpot in the next few weeks, provided some lucky player, in Calif., buys a winning quick pick!!

My opinion, of course.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
        Yinzer Country, PA
        United States
        Member #4067
        March 18, 2004
        2741 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2005, 9:57 am - IP Logged

CA's sales have already taken a drop since the first drawing.  look at the 2nd prize winner.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

San Angelo, Texas
          United States
          Member #1097
          January 31, 2003
          1394 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2005, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Doc,

Don't know the source of your Calif. sales info, but I believe the data at the lotto report website showing an increase in sales is accurate.

The Calif prizes are paramutual, whereas prizes in other 11 states are guaranteed. The 5/5 winner in the first draw got more than $250,000. The one 5/5 winner in the second drawing got less than $250,000.

San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1394 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2005, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I need to clarify some data in earlier posts.

According to sales figures I've seen, and believe to be accurate, MM sales went up in all 11 states. About 5 million tickets were sold in Calif. The sales dropped about 2 million for the second drawing. 

Overall, about $20 million tickets were sold on June 24, about $7 million more than were sold on June 21, last day of the old matrix.

Personally, I thought there would be a sales decrease in all of the 11 states, as lot of folks had predicted.

The decrease came on June 28 when overall sales dropped  about $2 million. The decreases were in Calif,
            Georgia, Ill., Maryland, Mass, Mich. and Texas. Folks in NJ, NY, Va and Wa bought more tickets.

Be interesting to see what happens next.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2005, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Me personally, I didn't think that CA would have alot of influence on the jackpots. I just figured the main thing that would happen is that less people would win less often because of the matrix change and the end jackpots would be higher. I can't say if they are moving up any higher or not because I haven't really paid attention. -Bonnie

Yeah, the rollovers are getting a bit bigger, but not by much.

They changed the matrix for nothing - already Mega Millions has had four consecutive $100+ million jackpots (under the old matrix) compared to Powerball having only one this year.

United States
                Member #16612
                June 2, 2005
                3493 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

If the trend in Calif continues, there should be some dramatic increases in the jackpot in the next few weeks, provided some lucky player, in Calif., buys a winning quick pick!! It would be strange if I should win the jackpot.

FLORIDA
                  United States
                  Member #5364
                  July 1, 2004
                  88 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, the rollovers are getting a bit bigger, but not by much.

They changed the matrix for nothing - already Mega Millions has had four consecutive $100+ million jackpots (under the old matrix) compared to Powerball having only one this year.

The key to the matrix change wont be visible until after the $100 million barrier is crossed. The sales increases from the $12 Mill draw to say (sub) $100 Mill draw are basically due to the increase in customers thanks to our friends in California. Where the matrix change should really be obvious is when we pass the $100 Million draw to say possibly $300 or $400 Million.
                  The new matrix should allow "super hot" post $100 million runs for one week, maybe two weeks or possibly  three. This will be when all of the TV networks, your local papers and this place should be burning up with mega fever...........
                  Or, the matrix will be a bust and there will be numerous posts pleading for an increase in odds. I know that's hard to believe but I know I play the big-2 lotteries for the huge jackpots. The smaller jackpot is handled very well by my state lottery..................
                    JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                    Member #5599
                    July 13, 2004
                    1185 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2005, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I've noticed when I buy my ticket in California that alot of people are getting up to speed on what Mega Millions is all about. Perhaps with a little time the California contribution will grow as people become aware.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                      North Dakota
                      United States
                      Member #13397
                      April 5, 2005
                      1623 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

On the latest draw, GA didn't even have a 3rd place winner.  With people from GA upset with the addition of CA players may not be playing as much as before.  Bad for MM but good for Lotto South I guess.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Redmond WA
                        United States
                        Member #5966
                        July 29, 2004
                        71 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2005, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Pudgie says.....Florida needs to join Mega Millions! White Bounce

mrmst's avatar - disney14
                          Glen Burnie, MD
                          United States
                          Member #427
                          June 27, 2002
                          208 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2005, 9:58 am - IP Logged

On the latest draw, GA didn't even have a 3rd place winner.  With people from GA upset with the addition of CA players may not be playing as much as before.  Bad for MM but good for Lotto South I guess.

Why would GA be upset at the additon of CA players?

MrMST

Good luck and have a Disney Day ºoºHiding Behind Computer

FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #5364
                            July 1, 2004
                            88 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2005, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Why would GA be upset at the additon of CA players?

I believe it is because in addition to the new players in california the odds have increased a bit and it would appear that to the folks the reporter interviewed they think they will win less often then before the odds change.
                            They could play other games provided by the georgia lottery if they wanted to increase their options of winning smaller amounts of cash. I on the other hand will play mega for the jackpot and any other winnings in the near term are gravy!
                              konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2005, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Georgians can count.  Period.  Cool

Good luck to everyone!