Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: ‘Unlikely combinations’

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

`Unlikely combinations' for example 1,2,3,4,5,6 or 44,45,46,47,48,49 or 3,6,9,12,15,18

has less chance of appearing as the Jackpot [ 12 ]  [38.71%]
has an equal chance of appearing as the Jackpot [ 17 ]  [54.84%]
Undecided [ 1 ]  [3.23%]
Trust Gurus and they say less likely to appear [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Trust Gurus and they say equal chance of appearing [ 1 ]  [3.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
SHTh's avatar - baby

United States
Member #1959
August 1, 2003
42 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2005, 9:07 am - IP Logged

A poll for all pick 5, pick 6, pick 7 players on ‘unlikely combinations’

A full description of options above

1)
Any ‘unlikely combination’ has less chance of appearing as the Jackpot.

2)
Any ‘unlikely combination’ has an equal chance of appearing as the Jackpot.

3)
Undecided

4)
Befuddled by the maths, I just trust certain Lottery Gurus and/or software designers and they believe ‘unlikely combinations’ are less likely to appear.

5)
Befuddled by the maths, I just trust certain Lottery Gurus and/or software designers and they believe that every combination is valid.

This poll only refers to getting all 5, 6 or 7 numbers right to win the jackpot. (I hope most players are aware of the maths, hence why filtering in general reduces your chances of trapping smaller prizes.)

If any lottery gurus and/or software designers grace my poll, of course only the first three options should be applicable!!!

bobby623's avatar - abstract
    San Angelo, Texas
    United States
    Member #1097
    January 31, 2003
    1394 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2005, 10:37 am - IP Logged

I've been tracking Texas lottery numbers for years.

Sequential sequences, such as 1.2.3.4.5, have never come up in over 3 years of play.

There have been a few combinations consisting of all single numbers, teens, 20s, etc, but not frequent
    enough to bet money on.

Choice 1 is best for me.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2005, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

i've seen something like 4,5,6,7,26 or 15,16,17,18,28 happen from time to time.i think maryland last year had a number like 33,34,35,36,37 hit if i'm correct BUT i could be wrong.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2005, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

All combinations have the same chance of appearance but combinations of 5 and 6 sequential numbers, multiple of 3, 4, 5 and etc. are less likely to appear because there are fewer of them.  This combination 05 23 40 55 56 +44 which I got from the Lottery Post QP RNG is not likely to come up tonight in the MegaMillions drawing not because it is strange but rather it is only one of 175 millions possible combinations.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2005, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Maybe less chance of appearing as often, but can still come out in due time.

Maybe should play more likely patterns instead ? I would, even so, What chance on jackpot games ? Very little chance, maybe not so bad for much smaller prizes.

Good luck.

Rjoh has the right idea.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #7853
            October 15, 2004
            11338 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2005, 2:05 am - IP Logged

tn lotto 5 tonight:4-13-14-15-17

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
              Yinzer Country, PA
              United States
              Member #4067
              March 18, 2004
              2741 Posts
              Posted: July 3, 2005, 2:40 am - IP Logged

in  theory it is possible, and technically a combination such as 01-02-03-04-05 has the same chance as any other of coming up.  it's just that the lottery would probably just assume there was a foul and draw another set if that were to come up.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: July 3, 2005, 5:04 am - IP Logged

Is of course not combinations that we should worry about, but combination's patterns.

And we should not worry about what "should" come out, but about what does come out.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: July 3, 2005, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

It's because if you play 1,2,3,4,5 as the white balls you are going to be sharing the jackpot with many people.

NemeSys's avatar - Nemesis
                    Harrogate
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #16589
                    June 1, 2005
                    107 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2005, 8:08 am - IP Logged

Many players tend to choose numbers which are significant to them, especially birthdays (resulting in lots of combinations with numbers below 32). Human nature being what it is, plenty of others also choose combinations they think will be less likely to come up, such as sequential ones. To avoid sharing the jackpot with dozens of others I would suggest avoiding such combinations.

But then, lots of people do that too...

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2005, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Sequential combos? Sure, why not. It's gotta happen someday, it's all random you know (sort of).

(insert signature here)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19816 Posts
                        Posted: July 4, 2005, 8:17 pm - IP Logged

All combinations have the same chance of appearance but combinations of 5 and 6 sequential numbers, multiple of 3, 4, 5 and etc. are less likely to appear because there are fewer of them.  This combination 05 23 40 55 56 +44 which I got from the Lottery Post QP RNG is not likely to come up tonight in the MegaMillions drawing not because it is strange but rather it is only one of 175 millions possible combinations.

RJOh

The following illustrate my point more clearly.

a 6/49 game such as OhioSuperLottoPlus
                        possible combinations of 6 using all 49 numbers = 13,983,816

possible combinations:
                         sequential sets of 6 numbers = 44
                         all 25 odd numbers = 177,100
                         all 24 even numbers = 134,596
                         all 16 multiple of 3 numbers = 18,564
                         all 12 multiple of 4 numbers = 924
                         all 9 multiple of 5 numbers = 84

When all the combinations with those special features are added up they amount to only 2% of the possible combinations which explains why any of them are seldom seen, but the odds of any of them showing up is 1:13,983,816 same as any of the other combinations.

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #1826
                          July 11, 2003
                          2645 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2005, 12:23 am - IP Logged

And speaking of sequential combos, there was one in Cash 25 today. 5-16-17-18-19-24 were the winning numbers. Quite unfortunate because I was in that draw. But that's a fun little game there.

(insert signature here)

SHTh's avatar - baby

United States
                            Member #1959
                            August 1, 2003
                            42 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2005, 11:16 am - IP Logged

I wasn’t sure what type of poll results I would get, though I was expecting a lot more undecided votes.

When I conceived of the poll, I would have gone for option 3. I was totally undecided on the whole issue of classifying some combinations as less likely to appear. I was even more undecided about the rationality of generating combinations that fit certain criteria, just because these profiles are more likely to appear as jackpot winning tickets. Even though in the last 17 weeks I have focused exclusively on studying, analysing and filtering out extremities in a 6/49 population, I truly had no gut instinct if filtering of unlikely combinations/parameters/distributions is credible or nonsensical.

I had read many great debates in r.g.l and I thought the sophisticated arguments in opposing camps may have some merits.

I wasn’t expecting my position to change for some weeks. Since seeking clarification on these issues weren’t top of my priorities. Plus I felt to resolve my stance on ‘unlikely combinations’ I would have to first resolve my doubts on filtering. But 12 hours later and with the assistance of a wise and knowledgeable Guru, I now know every combination has the same equal chance of appearing. And just because 1,2,3,4,5,6 may be all consecutives, all small numbers etc doesn’t in itself make it less likely to appear. There no such thing as an ‘unlikely combination’.

So I voted for option 2. See link for fantastic mini-tutorial on filtering (where I received enlightenment).
                            http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/115267

I’m now starting to understand the true capabilities and limitations of filtering. “It’s simply a way to focus your choice of combinations in such a way that, if you are lucky enough to be right, you will have concentrated your limited budget to cover as many combinations as possible in that category.”

Some day soon I’ll be ready to take on the challenge of the lottery.

SHTH

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2005, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

When pickings combinations to play, I avoid combinations that match 4 or more when compared to previous drawings.  Unless I'm using a wheel I also avoid matching 4 or more within the group of combinations I'm picking.  I use a RNG that compare its picks with the drawing data of the game that I'm playing before I reject or accept them.  While all combination have the same chance to appear, in the jackpot games I have seldom seen a combination repeat or repeat within one number in all the years I've been playing the lotteries.

RJOh

Evil Looking