Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this too much to spend on the lotto?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 11 years ago by goldrush.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2005, 9:56 am - IP Logged

Meth's a special case...completely worst case people in my view.... But they're a problem easily delt with if we recognize them for what they are, take the river of money out of the equation, deal with them when they "end up being everyone's problem".  Plenty of time to deal with that when it happens, deal with whatever crimes they commit that involve actual victims.

Crack.... maybe.  It's a bad'un for the people who use it.  I'd hate to see anyone I cared about using it.  But I don't see them becoming a problem to anyone else except in getting money for more crack, which wouldn't be a problem if we hadn't driven the price up so high by forbidding it, so high that it's available on every street corner in America because the profits are so outlandish.

J

TN
    United States
    Member #17926
    June 30, 2005
    10 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2005, 9:59 am - IP Logged

The debt is on a car loan...which I will NEVER do again. $302/month.

Like many of you reason, I *could* be spending the money on beer and cigarettes, or Starbucks (but I don't drink coffee), or psychics, or I could be sending the money to Pat Robertson...

I think I'll keep playing mega bucks.

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
      Alaska
      United States
      Member #16217
      May 27, 2005
      287 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2005, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Here is my deal with the lottery. My husband and I are on a pretty tight budget. He gets paid every other week and from what he gets paid we each take a small amount (about $25) to do whatever we want with it. He loves Diet Coke and the majority of his money gets spent on this addiction. I on the other hand have a number of things which I may spend mine on. I may go to a garage sale or thrift store and get clothing or other junk items or I may decide that I want a big bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos. (Those things are devine). Now there have been times when we couldn't afford for either of us to have that $25 and it was used to pay off a bill or two. I have gone 6 months or more without buying a single ticket.

Here lately I have been spending most of my $25 on lottery tickets. When I run out of that $25 it may mean that I have to go without buying a ticket at all for several days. And that's ok. What is wonderful is when I actually get a winner and I can take my family out to eat or purchase something we have wanted for a while. I buy things for my children too. I don't think that my little lottery addiction is hurting anyone because I don't borrow money to play and the only thing that I am missing out on when I spend the money on a lottery ticket is possibly some junk food that I probably don't need anyway. This is just me. -Bonnie

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31358 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2005, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Like many of you reason, I *could* be spending the money on beer and cigarettes, or Starbucks (but I don't drink coffee), or psychics, or I could be sending the money to Pat Robertson...

it's your life - do whatever you think is best for you.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23273 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2005, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

If you spent a small portion of that money on a Platinum membership, maybe you would have the tools necessary to make your lottery dollars earn a higher return.

An annual Platinum membership costs less than a daily newspaper, and about 5 or 6 times less than the cost of a daily cup of coffee.  A smoker easily burns up 10 or 20 times the cost of a Platinum membership in cigs every day.  And they don't give you a better shot at the lottery like a Platinum membership does.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2005, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Plus the fact, lottoloser, that you'd be supporting this site you're using, helping to pay to keep it going.

I used the site for a long while before I bacame a paying member.  Once I did and saw what's available to help lottery players try to beat the odds, I wondered why I'd waited so long.

Jack

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

it's your life - do whatever you think is best for you.

Emilyg:

Sometimes words are music without a guitar strumming in the background.  Those are.

Jack

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2005, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

[quote]The debt is on a car loan...which I will NEVER do again. $302/month.[/quote]

Since the nature of the loan is a fixed term, you'll eventually pay it off in 5, 6 or 7 years, whatever the contract says.  It's not as bad as people paint it.  If you're committing 20 or 25 dollars a week, I would play the pick 3 or pick 4 lotteries since the odds for hitting a low-level prize ($ 50 or $ 100) are much better than the mega-jackpot games.  The odds are at best 1 in 100.  You're likely to get a hit once a month or two, and on a less frequent basis hit the $ 500 or $ 1000 prizes.

rabbitfoot's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #620
                  August 25, 2002
                  205 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

If you are feeling guilty about the amount of money you're dropping each week, then chances are you can't afford it.

Your chances of ever winning anything significant in the lotto is almost nil so maybe you should pay down your debt first.  By all means, never spent money on the lotto that's going to get into your or your family's grocery budget!

I play to dream and dream of winning a major jackpot!

United States
                    Member #972
                    December 30, 2002
                    465 Posts
                    Posted: July 5, 2005, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I think anything more than $2 a week - one game twice a week - is too much. If you now spend $20, open a savings account and put the other $18 a week in it - you will see real money accumulate and you won't have that depressed "I need a miracle" feeling that leads you to spend too much on the lottery.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5122 Posts
                      Posted: August 1, 2005, 2:36 am - IP Logged

Lately, I'm spending several dollars a day playing either cash 3 and 4, or lucky 5 or powerball....I figure I will spend in excess of $20 this week. I know I will eventually get frustrated and quit but for now I'm having fun.

My income is a $52,000 a year and I do have debts totalling $20,000

If I were to continue with this habit would $20-30 a week be too much?

I hear about problem gambling but I don't know exactly what constitutes problem gambling...are we talking about people going hungry and losing their homes or people with debts...?

GO............Lotto.................but, dropppppppppppp-----------LAST>>>>>PART

of your name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THANKssssss!!!!

Please .........read your thread....Lately, spending.........As long....................

PLEASE.........lottowinner* CHANGE your attitude,,,,,,,,,,,,RELAX and start.....

enjoying a cup of coffee @ WOFF HOUSE or Dunk yoyr donut or Smack your

Donel...........but not starebunkers (unless you like bad and $$$$$$ coffee!

NOW............I THINK youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.......know how to conduct.......

YORSELF......RELAX....find a cheaper coffe house on a SUNDAY to see who

shows up on Sunday at these kink of PLACESSSSSSSSSS#1lotsofwinsss!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKOMO 

SirMetro's avatar - center
                        East of Atlanta
                        United States
                        Member #6191
                        August 11, 2004
                        1389 Posts
                        Posted: August 1, 2005, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps one would consider that for each dollar that you plan to use with the lottery, also dedicate a dollar towards a little interest bearing account. And treat it like money spent. You just might be surprised just how much your little "habit" adds up to after a while.

Sir Metro

I can't be addicted...addiction requires effort and that's too much trouble for me!

Australia
                          Member #17096
                          June 11, 2005
                          225 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2005, 7:43 am - IP Logged

For only $100 a year you can have a bit of fun. A season ticket in the Massachusetts lottery gives you to chance at two draws a year. Lotteries are not different that anything else, they should be enjoyed in moderation. It is no fun getting drunk, but it is nice to have a glass with dinner now and then.

http://www.masslottery.com/SeasonTickets.htm