Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Pools??

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #5565
July 11, 2004
260 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2005, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

You can't physically exchange the tickets, but you can authorize someone in another state to act as an agent on your behalf to purchase the lottery tickets.  It's best to have the agreement drawn up beforehand and notarized in both states, the state in which you reside and the state in which your agent resides.  It's best to not have weird conditions, such as the $ 500 million jackpot rule, so that there's less chance for disagreements later on.  Have the pool operate on a regular basis (every drawing, once a week, etc.) for a given lottery game, be it PP, MM, LS, or Pick 5. Specify who the ticket-purchasing agent will be and what lottery game is to be played, how the numbers for the tickets are to be determined, how the prizes are to be divided among the participants, and what the total amount of contributions are required for the pool to be active for each drawing.  Require a receipt or an acknowledgment from the agent when contributions are made.  That receipt and the agreement should be sufficient to stake one's claim to the jackpot.

Poway CA (San Diego County)
    United States
    Member #3489
    January 25, 2004
    14120 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2005, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I guess I have to quote it again!!

Here is a quote from the USPS Domestic Mail Manual.  You can also look up 18 USC 1302 and 18 USC 1307 in the United States Federal Code.

USPS Domestic Mail Manual

12.3 Lottery Matter (18 USC 1302)

12.3.2 Unlawful Mail Matter

Unlawful matter includes any letter, newspaper, periodical, parcel, stamped card or postcard, circular, or other matter permitting or facilitating participation in a lottery; any lottery ticket or part thereof or substitute; and any form of payment for a lottery ticket or share.

This would mean that those receipts, agreements, and contracts (along with any money) would have to be hand carried.  Don't do it in California because California law states that no person may purchase a lottery ticket in California for someone that doesn't live here.  I think I have that right.  There has been discussion about that also on LP.

United States
      Member #5565
      July 11, 2004
      260 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2005, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

Isn't California a special case since they had a prohibition of participation in multi-state lotteries?

United States
        Member #3489
        January 25, 2004
        14120 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Isn't California a special case since they had a prohibition of participation in multi-state lotteries?

I expect.

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
          Member #2673
          November 2, 2003
          497 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2005, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Califdude,

No need to keep repeating yourself. Why not send your correspondance to the Michigan Lottery. The Michigan Lottery is always holding second chance drawings whereby players mail their lottery tickets to the Michigan Lottery office for chances to win prizes.

I have never heard of a case where someone was charged for mailing lottery tickets or money for lottery tickets. Have you?

Good luck,
          Jake

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23261 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2005, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

Califdude,

No need to keep repeating yourself. Why not send your correspondance to the Michigan Lottery. The Michigan Lottery is always holding second chance drawings whereby players mail their lottery tickets to the Michigan Lottery office for chances to win prizes.

I have never heard of a case where someone was charged for mailing lottery tickets or money for lottery tickets. Have you?

Good luck,
            Jake

Jake,

After the drawing, a lottery ticket is no longer a gambling instrument, and can be safely transported across state lines.  It becomes merely a bearer document.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
              Member #3489
              January 25, 2004
              14120 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2005, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Califdude,

Good luck,
              Jake

I know I shouldn't have to keep repeating myself.  But, some of the information is elsewhere on LP and some people just need to search for themselves.  Here is another quote from the U.S. Postal Inspectors web site:

As a general proposition, sending lottery material through the mail is prohibited by federal law. This material includes, among other things, letters or circulars concerning a lottery, tickets or any paper claiming to represent tickets, chances or shares in a lottery, and payments to purchase any such tickets, chances, or shares.

Congress has enacted limited exemptions from this prohibition, including some which allow such material for a lottery conducted by a state of the United States to be mailed to addresses in that state.

So, yes, you can mail tickets within one state, if Congress has said OK!! 

No, I have not heard of anyone being charged with mailing tickets or money.  Until recently I had not heard of anyone being charged with sharing music files over the internet, but they have started going after them.  It even went to the U.S. Supreme Court this last session, and the Court ruled that it was legal for music companies to prosecute those people that are using software to share files.  So, things do happen!!

New Mexico
                United States
                Member #12305
                March 10, 2005
                2984 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2005, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

For all the talk of contracts, notarized statements  and contracts, sounds as though a person would be signing up for a lot of headaches and possibilities for taking a bath by being a part of that sort of 'pool'.

I think I'd prefer just to trust close friends to buy tickets for me if I want them from another state.  And if I don't have friends there, guess I'll just forego playing that lottery.

I interject this because I've had a couple of PMs telling me I could play in any state I want to without having to have friends if I visited a particular website, which didn't load.

If the person who sent me the PMs reads this, and I'd imagine he will, no point in PMing me about it anymore.  I'm not interested.

Jack