Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which Investment Company would you chose

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 11 years ago by danisiri.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
md
United States
Member #14047
April 20, 2005
579 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2005, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Which of the following would you chose:

1. Fidelity Investments

2. Vanguard

3. JP Morgan Chase

4. Wells Fargo

5. Bank of America

6. Other

md
    United States
    Member #14047
    April 20, 2005
    579 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2005, 9:25 am - IP Logged

Fidelity Investments

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2005, 11:13 am - IP Logged

I would take the lump sum.

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2005, 11:19 am - IP Logged

None of the above because all of them either have huge front loads and/or large annual maintainance fees. For someone merely interested in mutual fund type investments, I suggest doing a bit of research and check out the huge offerings from the various no-load type companies such as (use to be Janus & 20th Century funds, don't know what the current fund names are now). Like the lottery, a little prudent research can save you huge amounts of loss's and needless maintainance fees. Now, those who want the extra hand holding those companies provide, I guess that is good, but those wishing to do a bit of their own homework...I would suggest elsewhere.

Sir Metro

United States
          Member #5565
          July 11, 2004
          260 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2005, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I would use the index funds from Rydex, Potomac, or Profunds.  In the future, all of these funds will probably offer exchange-traded funds as well as the traditional mutual funds. The online brokers, Schwab, ETrade, Fidelity, and others, allow you to switch in and out of the funds, but it'd be better off to deal with these firms directly if you just use the end-of-day mutual funds. 

md
            United States
            Member #14047
            April 20, 2005
            579 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2005, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

I certainly like the diverse responses that come from the L.P. Community.  There's nothing like it!  But in responding to SirMetro, I'd like to add, not take anything away from his comments, but many people who win a jackpot are not admittedly savvy enough to go at handling and investing on their own.  A LOT OF HAND HOLDING IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY or we would continue to have horror stories of people who mishandle their winnings.  There is something called "SUDDEN WEALTH SYNDROME."  Any and I might say many of us would be infected with it to some degree. 

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2005, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

If I had a cool $50 million cash...hedge funds are the answer.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                East of Atlanta
                United States
                Member #6191
                August 11, 2004
                1389 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2005, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

delS...sometimes, I tend to overlook what you mention because, my attitude is, I am going to win the jackpot and I know exactly how I intend to diversify the funds. Both my short term plans as well as a long term plan to insure the well being of my family is kept nice and tidy in my mind (one of the few things in my life that's actually organized).

To illustrate what I mean is this...50% of all winnings would go into a well diversified stock holdings. These holdings would be of a type that averaged a current annual dividend of approximately 2% to 4% (paid quarterly). The holdings would have between 24 to 36 (and yes, divisible by 12 for a reason) such that adequate funds would be received monthly to insure that I would not have to access the principle to maintain my current lifestyle.

The remaining 50% would be subdivided over a broad range of gifts to all my immediate family members, charitable causes we currently care for, elimination of current debt as well as improvement of our current living areas (wife really wants a maid, I just want someone to cut the darn grass).

Anyway, you are correct about those with SWS, but those individuals need guidance from qualified financial advisors and personally, I think that a brokage house or bank would be the worse place to look for financial guidance. People mistakenly assume their money in a bank is 100% insured, when in truth, no more then $100,000 (one hundred thousand dollars) is insured per person and/or family. So, if someone was to have 5 accounts with $50,000 per account and that bank becomes insolvant, they lose $150,000 because only $100,000 is insured. And there is no legal recourse for recovery.

Anyway, this is probably far away from the original topic. Somehow, in my twisted mindset, this sorta fits within the topic of conversation. Guess the long and short of the matter is, people need to become more educated in handling money. The quantity is of less importance then knowledge of how to maintain it. At least that is what I think...for all it's worth.

Sir Metro

Opinions...$0.01 original cost....$0.05 inflation...$0.04 taxes...still not worth the paper to write it on.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                  Member #2338
                  September 17, 2003
                  2063 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2005, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

I think I would stick it in tax-free bonds until I studied where to invest.

danisiri's avatar - Avatar all_for_Jesus.jpg

United States
                    Member #13684
                    April 11, 2005
                    77 Posts
                    Posted: July 6, 2005, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

After receiving the lump sum...

If I had to pick an investment firm, it would likely be Fidelity Investments.  If the amount I won was really large (over $100 million), then I would hire them to manage the portfolio with simple parameters keeping the tax burden as low as possible and not investing in certain areas.  While I do have the financial skills to handle the investments, I really do not have the time to track everything.  Given my perfectionist personality,  I do not plan to make managing the money as my new job! 

If the amount is smaller, I would likely put the money into a mixed bag of municipal and treasury notes, just to keep things simple and keeping the tax burden small.  While I would likely get a better return in stocks, again, it becomes a time factor.  My time is more valuable to me than to spend too much time managing the money.