Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 2:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New computer

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 12 years ago by Maverick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2005, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time, but my computer broke down a while back and I wasn't sure for a while whether to get a laptop or a desktop or what brand of computer to get.  Most of my friends have Dell, so I might go in that direction.  I was just wondering if you guys have any advice on what type of computer I should get.  I will probably get a desktop, since I can upgrade it later on.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #5565
    July 11, 2004
    260 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2005, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

If you're buying a Dell, I'd wait till the turn of the month, either the last week of July or the first of August, when they announce markoffs to boost their sales.  The $ 400-700 off specials are usually gone in hours, and can be found at techbargains.com.  If you're worried about tech support, I'd get their extended support package.

I'm planning on buying a new desktop package (PC+monitor+multifunction printer) in the next three months as my PC is close to five years old.  I'll probably look at the warehouse club, compusa, and microcenter before I select one of HP, Sony, or a Powerspec (all of the three have good reliability).  I had a Sony Vaio that lasted nine years without repair, and this HP is nearly five years old, knock on wood. You can find a decent PC, even a media-center PC which can broadcast TV and other media, for $ 400-700 nowadays.

http://www.microcenter.com/images/specials/0705a_page01_full.jpg

SirMetro's avatar - center
      East of Atlanta
      United States
      Member #6191
      August 11, 2004
      1389 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2005, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I convinced my boss to let me get an E-machine to replace my dying Toshiba laptop this year. For $299, I have to say, we didn't go wrong. Machine works like a charm, have had absolutely no problems with it.

You might also want to consider MicroCenter. Their regular special is a $100 mail-in rebate if you qualify and buy a computer on a MicroCenter credit card. Brings the cost of those Lindows systems down to $99 after rebates.

Lindows is a variation of Linux/Unix running a graphical interface similiar to windows. It is gaining in popularity and machines with it are extrodinarily cheap. Personally, I am considering cheating by purchasing a Lindows system and installing the Windows XP pro I have on it.

Sir Metro

United States
        Member #5565
        July 11, 2004
        260 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2005, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

You can also purchase the Microcenter PC's and laptops at http://www.winbook.com/ .

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
          Member #567
          August 14, 2002
          485 Posts
          Posted: July 8, 2005, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice guys!!!!!  I have thought about a laptop, but that would be super-expensive to purchase and maintain.  And I don't really travel that much, so all I really need right now is the desktop.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Maverick's avatar - yinyang
            USA
            United States
            Member #8242
            October 29, 2004
            1133 Posts
            Posted: July 9, 2005, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted in a long time, but my computer broke down a while back and I wasn't sure for a while whether to get a laptop or a desktop or what brand of computer to get.  Most of my friends have Dell, so I might go in that direction.  I was just wondering if you guys have any advice on what type of computer I should get.  I will probably get a desktop, since I can upgrade it later on.

Yes I wanted a Dell also, since I heard they are #1 in desktops. But I learned they are #1 only cos of customer service. So I went to TigerDirect and bought an eMachine (which is packed with very good components at a steal-of-a price, and was recently bought by Gateway). I simply bought an additional 1 year warranty, upgraded a couple of things, and voila my system as a whole is as good, or better than a Dell. I also recommend IBM.

Yes desktops is what I prefer too. I had 2 laptops go south on me (Sony VAIO and Fujitsu). Anyone need laptop parts? lol.