Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

billion dollar jackpots

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2005, 3:43 am - IP Logged

do you see a day where the matrix eventually changes again and there will finally be a billion dollar jackpot?

Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: July 16, 2005, 3:46 am - IP Logged

and just think when people look back they'll call jack whittaker jackpot winnings a pittance,lol

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: July 16, 2005, 3:59 am - IP Logged

and just think when people look back they'll call jack whittaker jackpot winnings a pittance,lol

That would be sad.

(insert signature here)

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3047 Posts
        Posted: July 16, 2005, 4:05 am - IP Logged

I am 29 and I do not think we will see a billion dollar jackpot in my lifetime.  It would be nice to dream but the reality is that neither of the multi- state games have been out of the 300+ million range in the last five years.  It takes a special run to get to those high jackpots and I think that it would fall long before it got that high.  I would be happy with another 300+ million jackpot to play for and if it was powerball since that is the game I play. 

Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: July 16, 2005, 4:06 am - IP Logged

i agree with you.i think it will get to a point where sales will go down and they will change the matrix again and the next thing you know it will get to a point where people won't even play unless the jackpot is at a half billion dollars.i see this in the next three or four years...

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
            Mcminnville, Oregon
            United States
            Member #3013
            December 13, 2003
            3047 Posts
            Posted: July 16, 2005, 4:19 am - IP Logged

I like to play powerball regularly so I guess I do not understand people who say they would not play until they reach a certain level and then upping that level once a high jackpot comes.  10 to 15 million is alot of money for only a few dollars.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: July 16, 2005, 11:39 am - IP Logged

not likely when the jackpot reaches 200 million people start talking and then start buying tickets each time the jackpot grows after the 200 million dollar point. people get more ambitious and start buying more tickets. This means that it's more likely the pot will be won as more combinations are being sold. Any new matrix changes will have to be well thought out. People aren't likely to play the smaller pots if the odds are more overwhelming than the current matrix. But 200 million seems to be the camels back and people get into a frenzy to buy tickets. Each successive drawing after the 200 mill point causes more people to come and play.

If you want to play a jackpot that has a billion dollar payout try Elgordo

Morrison, IL
                United States
                Member #4657
                May 13, 2004
                1884 Posts
                Posted: July 16, 2005, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

The catch with El Gordo though is that they have only two drawings per year.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: July 16, 2005, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

I can't ever see the states contributing enough money to have a lottery with a starting jackpot of more than $25M, so the matrix has to be attractive to players at a lower jackpot level or it will never have a half billion dollars jackpot. A game with such a matrix is likely to be won before it ever has a half billion dollars jackpot.

RJOh 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #5453
                    July 5, 2004
                    135 Posts
                    Posted: July 16, 2005, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

i hope someone  wins . and it never reachs a billion or  more than 150 mil

we need to see more people win each year  for all the lottery games

FLORIDA
                      United States
                      Member #5364
                      July 1, 2004
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: July 16, 2005, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

not likely when the jackpot reaches 200 million people start talking and then start buying tickets each time the jackpot grows after the 200 million dollar point. people get more ambitious and start buying more tickets. This means that it's more likely the pot will be won as more combinations are being sold. Any new matrix changes will have to be well thought out. People aren't likely to play the smaller pots if the odds are more overwhelming than the current matrix. But 200 million seems to be the camels back and people get into a frenzy to buy tickets. Each successive drawing after the 200 mill point causes more people to come and play.

I have to agree with you on this one! When you hit $200 Million you see people with at least a $100 of playslips tying up the lotto machine for a good portion of an hour. If you've already bought your ticket in advance and your just trying to pay for gas forget a  short wait at the gas station when mega gets crazy!
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: July 16, 2005, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

i just meant it would get that high if they mess with the matrix and keep making it higher.

Greenwich, CT
                          United States
                          Member #4793
                          May 24, 2004
                          1822 Posts
                          Posted: July 16, 2005, 6:36 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree with you on this one! When you hit $200 Million you see people with at least a $100 of playslips tying up the lotto machine for a good portion of an hour. If you've already bought your ticket in advance and your just trying to pay for gas forget a  short wait at the gas station when mega gets crazy!

Pay at the pump...I couldn't imagine the hassle of standing in line again.

As for billion-dollar jackpots, they will exist by 2015...America's appetite is insatiable.

Blaine WA
                            United States
                            Member #17275
                            June 15, 2005
                            117 Posts
                            Posted: July 17, 2005, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

if they have a top prize of 300 plus million with the old format then it makes sense to me with increased odds a billion isn't out of line

that is just too large a jackpot

of course i think 200 million is too much

Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: July 27, 2005, 2:03 am - IP Logged

what would you do if you won a billion dollar jackpot?