Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

USA Mega wrong...4 second tier winners

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 11 years ago by four4me.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bradly_60's avatar - disney37
Atlantic Mine, Michigan
United States
Member #416
June 23, 2002
1614 Posts
Posted: August 10, 2005, 2:05 am - IP Logged

First time I think that usamega.com had it wrong.  There were four winners of the $250,000 prize...GA, IL, MI, CA.

It will be interesting to see how much the CA ticket was worth.

Brad

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23274 Posts
    Posted: August 10, 2005, 2:32 am - IP Logged

I had realized and fixed the problem within a few minutes.  The front-page newsstory at USA Mega correctly states that there were 4 $250,000 winners.

I'm guessing that the California winner is taking home more than $1 million - maybe after taxes, because California does not add state tax to lottery prizes.

We'll see sometime later in the morning when California publishes the payout info - will appear at:

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-drawing.asp?d=8/9/2005

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: August 10, 2005, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

CA is more of a mini progressive of matching 5 numbers, but not the MEGA. I just went to the CA website to check the draw results. I say congratulations to the CA 5/5 winner of 1.4 million in MM.

United States
        Member #20674
        August 23, 2005
        2 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2005, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Greetings to ALL Hyper

I happen to be one of the 4 & I'll let you decide for yourself what State that might be.

Well, my question is what would you do IF this is You winning & what Steps would you Take going forward from this moment ?

I just found out a few days ago as I always check my tickets days or weeks (even months) later & still have not decided if I should claim it this year or next year (?)

Thanks folks Party

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23274 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2005, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Wow, congrats on your big win!!

There's lots of info on this site about advice for winners - be sure to spend some time searching through the forums, especially the Lottery Discussion forum and the Jackpot Games forum.

The reason to look through old posts is that even though I'm sure you'll get some advice on this thread by some people, there are also lots of posts made in the past from people who may not be online today.

Just keep your head, and be sure to mention Lottery Post in your press conference!!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2005, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Get your money now. Why wait ? Does it have to do with taxes ? If so, then talk to a tax advisor.

Good luck to you and congratulations.

United States
              Member #20674
              August 23, 2005
              2 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2005, 12:36 am - IP Logged

Yes, it has to do with TaXe$... not that complicated in my case (I have a very average income).

Just that it's been getting stressful at work the last 8-10 months & since the company hasn't been doing well in terms of profit over the last couple of yrs, it's been difficult for many of us who has seen the whole company grow over the last 5+ yrs & now have to do so much crabby things just to show improvement. The demand from the top ppl are quite laughable at times. So many longtime employees have either quit or let go (above average salaries) & I'm sure that my time will come soon if not sometime next yr.

That's why I'm thinking about cashing out later to have this yr. finish out & not have to deal with some issues like my current retirement contributions. Since this payout will put my total income (this once) over the limit, I therefore cannot contribute to this fiscal yr.

Anyways, is it legally ok to do that since the winning is decided/known in '05, but can be cashed out in '06? Would it be possible then to apply it for  '06 fiscal yr.? Has anyone been thru this situation (winning one yr. & cashing out the next)?

Thank you much Group Hug 

Litebets27's avatar - power
                Maryland
                United States
                Member #10465
                January 14, 2005
                6065 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2005, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a question for a Tax Adviser, but congratulations. I can only hope to have this decision-making problem in the near future. I wish you luck.

litebets

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8364 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2005, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Congratulations there are the time limits to cash your winning ticket. I would call the lottery and make real sure this information hasn't changed. Some states are like 180 days in which case you could wait until after the first of the year to cash it.