Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Smaller Jurisdiction Lotteries

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Should individual cities/counties/metro areas be able to start their own lotteries?

Yes [ 3 ]  [27.27%]
No [ 7 ]  [63.64%]
Depends on where the money goes. [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  

United States
Member #1826
July 11, 2003
2645 Posts
Posted: August 12, 2005, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

We all know the D.C. Lottery. They have some fine offerings, with the only problem being it's draw method. But how would you feel about other individual cities starting their own lotteries. Like New York City, they started their own OTBs, why can't they secede from the New York State lottery and have a lottery that can only be played within the NYC boroughs. Something like that? Would you go for that or would you rather have the whole state play the same games.

(insert signature here)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2005, 12:39 am - IP Logged

i voted yes.it would be very interesting to see how that would turn out if it was actually ever given a chance to happen.i could see new york being the first since its pretty much the biggest city in the US....

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2005, 12:41 am - IP Logged

Absoultely not. If a state has their own lotto, every city in that state has to play it. I don't think cities should have their own lotto.

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: August 13, 2005, 12:49 am - IP Logged

i voted yes.it would be very interesting to see how that would turn out if it was actually ever given a chance to happen.i could see new york being the first since its pretty much the biggest city in the US....

It's the biggest city by a huge margin. The New York Metro houses over 7,000,000 plus people. The next largest is LA with around 5,000,000, and that encompasses an area twice as big. Manhattan itself could support a 6/44 lotto. I think it would be great idea for New York City at least. I'm sure a NYC lottery would appeal more to NYC players. Maybe they could have a pick-3, a pick-4, a pick-5 more like the one in PA, a 6/42-46 lotto, and Powerball. They certainly could use one, because they're not getting nearly enough money for security.

(insert signature here)

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2005, 11:01 am - IP Logged

Nebraska has munincipal lotteries. They consist of keno.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
            Yinzer Country, PA
            United States
            Member #4067
            March 18, 2004
            2741 Posts
            Posted: August 13, 2005, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Remember that the DC Lottery can also be played in some areas of VA and MD, since the city is in those states.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: August 13, 2005, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Remember that the DC Lottery can also be played in some areas of VA and MD, since the city is in those states.

I don't know about that. I saw a Maryland Lotto terminal at the New Carrollton Metro Station. Have you ever seen a DC terminal in Arlington or something?

(insert signature here)