Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Lottery idea

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Just6ntlc.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2005, 10:30 pm - IP Logged

You seem to be missing something? Perhaps this is too simple. If a jackpot is won the lottery is then reset to it's original amount. My concept/idea is this. That money, from the jackpot, whatever amount would be replaced back into the pot after 72 hours. So, if the amount is 10 million, 10 million would be placed back into the pot. What are we missing?

Correction................Sorry rip I didn't meant to quote you. I meant to put this quote instead in my last thread. My bad!!!!

USA
    United States
    Member #1849
    July 15, 2003
    265 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2005, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Hey Pac,

No wrong or right, I think what your missing in my concept is this. The 10 mil comes from the jackpot that was never collected within 72 hours. So, it's not new money, it's old money. The lottery could grow from sales also during this time but if there is at any point in time a jackpot winner and they fail to collect the 10 mil, that 10 mil would be placed back into the lottery for the next drawing.  The answer to your question is this, the money comes from the lost winning ticket. The ticket winner failed to verify the ticket within 72 hours forefeiting their right to the jackpot money so the money never left technically. See when Powerball is never claimed we players never see that money again but it would nice if some forgot to claim a jackpot of 32 million than that jackpot would be readded to the next drawing because that is money that lottery was suppose to pay out anyway. Does that clarify? I would love to play Florida lotto, seems like you have a winner every week down there. Cheers,

RJOh, I thought of that but everyone is usually back home or back to a hotel or something where they could verify the winning ticket. I mean I lived in Cali and won in CT I all have to do is call give the winning ticket info and there I have verified my ticket. Since each piece of paper is unique the number would have to match. Now that it is verified I would have to work out claiming it. So, no out of state travellers would lose anything and they would also be more apt to know if a ticket won they would check it immediately rather than wait six months and if they do it's their lose and the jackpots gain. Make sense?

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2005, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

acronym007

Seems to me people who didn't stay on top of the draws simply wouldn't play this game.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't be a success.  It means it mightn't.  No way of knowing whether it would until players had a chance to make their own decisions about it.

I think I might well play it.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2005, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

acronym,

A few years ago when the Ohio lottery was at its peak with jackpots of up to $50M, Ohio came up with a rule that a single ticket could only win $20M and the rest went back into the pot it there were no other winners.  The players voted with their pocket books and stopped playing.  At the time about half of the winners were from surrounding states.  Ohio never recovered from that bad decision.  Out of state players never came back and Ohioans were going to Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania to play the PowerBall and the BigGame.  Two years ago Ohio added MegaMillions to try and recapture the thrill of playing the lotteries again.  Having a big and fast growing jackpot that they might not collect if they won wasn't attractive to a lot of players

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Mexico
          United States
          Member #12305
          March 10, 2005
          2984 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

acronym,

A few years ago when the Ohio lottery was at its peak with jackpots of up to $50M, Ohio came up with a rule that a single ticket could only win $20M and the rest went back into the pot it there were no other winners.  The players voted with their pocket books and stopped playing.  At the time about half of the winners were from surrounding states.  Ohio never recovered from that bad decision.  Out of state players never came back and Ohioans were going to Michigan, Indiana and Pennsylvania to play the PowerBall and the BigGame.  Two years ago Ohio added MegaMillions to try and recapture the thrill of playing the lotteries again.  Having a big and fast growing jackpot that they might not collect if they won wasn't attractive to a lot of players

RJOh

Good to know the system occasionally works.

I'd bet those Ohio Lottery Authority folks keep their ear to the ground listening to what lottery players want these days.  If a bit more of that sort of thing happened we'd probably be experiencing something entirely different throughout the US where lotteries sell their wares.

Jack

Egos don't count.

USA
            United States
            Member #1849
            July 15, 2003
            265 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2005, 10:44 am - IP Logged

RJoh,

Makes sense to me to listen to the customer. However, what I am suggesting is merely one game. I don't think all games should be like this one but what if one MegaMillions or PowerBall was like this one. In my opinion it would be a huge success. I would pay it and I would be happy to know I wouldn't have to wait a year to find the winner and if the winner is sleeping then we all benefit. You snooze, you lose, this includes me. It would be a fast paced game, very exciting. So, this game would be unique and I'm not suggesting all games switch over to this but I would like to see something like it someday personally. Cheers,

Sparta, NJ
              United States
              Member #18331
              July 9, 2005
              1977 Posts
              Posted: August 17, 2005, 11:28 am - IP Logged

Be a great idea. All we have to do is convince the directors of these lotterys to give up their huge bonuses (based on sales and sales equate to amount of jackpot), and have the legislators give up on the concept a huge windfall of unclaimed dollars. Wasn't it PB that just finished whinning and raised the odds because they weren't getting the big bonuses from the smaller jacpots?

Listen to the cusomer? Novel idea. I look forward to a major supermarket chain carrying the product I want to buy instead of the products they want to sell.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19895 Posts
                Posted: August 17, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

acronym,

Ohio already have a "you snooze, you lose" limit and it's 180 days.  That applies to all its games including MegaMillions.  Other states like Michigan also has MegaMillions and its "snooze" limit is 1 year.  Ohio doesn't carry live coverage of the MegaMillions game and for many Ohioans especially those living in rural areas, it's normal not to know the winning numbers right away. A 72hrs response or lose rule would all but kill that game in Ohio.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Blaine WA
                  United States
                  Member #17275
                  June 15, 2005
                  117 Posts
                  Posted: August 17, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

i prefer the rollover lottery, the larger the prize the larger the dream.

i purchase tickets a month at a time (ten draws) and then go about my business.

i may be traveling or occupied in an activity where there isn't opportunity to check tickets often enough.  also i like the option of not having to rush to check numbers keeping the fantasy of winning the large ones for as long as possible.

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

USA
                    United States
                    Member #1849
                    July 15, 2003
                    265 Posts
                    Posted: August 17, 2005, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Now, think for a moment, would you like the game if it were a different game. That is, if this game were it's own unique game and it doesn't effect the others. This game would be a seperate game I by no means suggest they change PB or MM.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: August 17, 2005, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Hey Pac,

No wrong or right, I think what your missing in my concept is this. The 10 mil comes from the jackpot that was never collected within 72 hours. So, it's not new money, it's old money. The lottery could grow from sales also during this time but if there is at any point in time a jackpot winner and they fail to collect the 10 mil, that 10 mil would be placed back into the lottery for the next drawing.  The answer to your question is this, the money comes from the lost winning ticket. The ticket winner failed to verify the ticket within 72 hours forefeiting their right to the jackpot money so the money never left technically. See when Powerball is never claimed we players never see that money again but it would nice if some forgot to claim a jackpot of 32 million than that jackpot would be readded to the next drawing because that is money that lottery was suppose to pay out anyway. Does that clarify? I would love to play Florida lotto, seems like you have a winner every week down there. Cheers,

RJOh, I thought of that but everyone is usually back home or back to a hotel or something where they could verify the winning ticket. I mean I lived in Cali and won in CT I all have to do is call give the winning ticket info and there I have verified my ticket. Since each piece of paper is unique the number would have to match. Now that it is verified I would have to work out claiming it. So, no out of state travellers would lose anything and they would also be more apt to know if a ticket won they would check it immediately rather than wait six months and if they do it's their lose and the jackpots gain. Make sense?

Sorry bud, my mistake, I see what your talking about now,,,yeah it was too simple.

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                        Albuquerque, New Mexico
                        United States
                        Member #5128
                        June 18, 2004
                        377 Posts
                        Posted: August 17, 2005, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

Wow, what a novel idea!  You should be a lottery director.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                          Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: August 17, 2005, 9:11 pm - IP Logged

Mmmmm, seems to me that the starting point of a PB, MM or any lottery game is a projected estimate of possible sales. Now didn't the officals in Texas get their butts in the ringer for not projecting estimated sales properly of their state lottery game? And the result of that happening they had to leave the jackpot at the same amount which in turn stalled sales for that current game. Then if someone did hit the jackpot the state would have to make up the difference between the wrong estimated sales and the actual amount taken in and thats what got those officals in Texas to be fired. Lucky for them the jackpot wasn't hit, but they still lost their jobs. So a true roll over isn't possible unless they can be right on the money each and everytime on their estimated sales for that lottery game! And that just isn't possible! Now, maybe after the game has a few draws under it's belt it could work, but not right off the bat on the first new drawing after a jackpot had been hit!

New Mexico
                            United States
                            Member #12305
                            March 10, 2005
                            2984 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2005, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

Mmmmm, seems to me that the starting point of a PB, MM or any lottery game is a projected estimate of possible sales. Now didn't the officals in Texas get their butts in the ringer for not projecting estimated sales properly of their state lottery game? And the result of that happening they had to leave the jackpot at the same amount which in turn stalled sales for that current game. Then if someone did hit the jackpot the state would have to make up the difference between the wrong estimated sales and the actual amount taken in and thats what got those officals in Texas to be fired. Lucky for them the jackpot wasn't hit, but they still lost their jobs. So a true roll over isn't possible unless they can be right on the money each and everytime on their estimated sales for that lottery game! And that just isn't possible! Now, maybe after the game has a few draws under it's belt it could work, but not right off the bat on the first new drawing after a jackpot had been hit!

I suppose the other possibility that might spark some sales would be player confidence.  The PBMM and State lottery officials could tell it precisely as it is, give players the best bang for the buck they can, the best odds they can in some real-world scenario, and take whatever sales they can get on those terms.

The problem with telling people, "Yeah, we're going to give you $100 million, but it's really 50 mill we're going to invest for you at the lousiest possible interest rates, which you could do better yourself many times over if you just take the 50,"  is that the shell game atmosphere it generates causes people not to believe much of anything else they say. 

The Lottery Authorities and PBMM need to be like Caesar's wife, beyond reproach.  The only alternative is the complete destruction of player trust and loyalty.

But if trust and loyalty existed they could probably sell tickets for just about any game and come out winners.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                              Member #16612
                              June 2, 2005
                              3493 Posts
                              Posted: August 23, 2005, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I disagree with this statement. If someone wins the lotto jackpot, they have 90 to 365 days to claim the jackpot. Otherwise, the money goes back into the state's situation. Besides, it's silly to have the jackpot not rollover for 3 days. Texas Lotto with bonus was an example when their estimated jackpot stuck at 8 million when sales were still decling.