Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Beggars who leach off lottery winners

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 11 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
dphillips's avatar - littleuns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Member #5128
June 18, 2004
377 Posts
Posted: August 21, 2005, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I saw this question posted.  "Why is it that beggars leach off lottery winners?  Todd said: "uh, money." So, I do not take credit for this one.

The question should have been posed: "why is it that beggars only leach off lottery winners instead of the rich and famous?"

You never hear of Oprah, Bill Gates, Tom Cruise, the Hilton sisters, or Donald Trump being beckoned by leachers to give them money!  True, Oprah is very generous, and she should be congratulated because she does not have to give away anything to anyone, period. 

Therefore, would someone explain to me...why, then, are lottery winners easier targets?  I have even read some of the posts and most of you want to give to charities.  Well, do not post your generosity because you are setting yourselves up.  Now, the beggars know who to come to for help since you are in a generous mood.

True, the above (rich and famous) individuals have telephones and people definitely know where they live.  In fact, kidnapping is not on the beggars' minds.  The lottery winners have an advantage -- they can move and not remain in their neighborhoods. In fact, most lottery winners were not rich and famous before their windfalls.

TO THE BEGGARS: PLEASE BE FAIR AND CONSISTENT.  BEG FROM THE RICH AND FAMOUS BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE MONEY!

Furthermore, I do not have the nerve to ask a lottery winner to help me because all I have to do is spend a $1.00 or more for my dream.  Really, some people have absolutely no class.  The strangers (not family) forget that the lottery winners are not related to them...not even a 33rd cousin -- twice removed!

Finally, maybe I am answering my own question...some lottery winners just cannot say, "no!" -- but the rich and the famous can.

Blaine WA
    United States
    Member #17275
    June 15, 2005
    117 Posts
    Posted: August 21, 2005, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

Finally, maybe I am answering my own question...some lottery winners just cannot say, "no!" -- but the rich and the famous can.

that is probably why they are rich and famous

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: August 21, 2005, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Some newspaper man asked a famous bank robber once why he robbed banks.

"That's where the money is."

Maybe that's true of the whole shebang.  Bill Gates might just be a middle classer putting on the dog.  No money to give to beggars.

Eh?

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
        Member #14
        November 9, 2001
        31537 Posts
        Posted: August 21, 2005, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

you got it.  I Agree!

love to nibble those micey feet.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19898 Posts
          Posted: August 21, 2005, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

dphillips,

Where have you been, you must have an unlisted telephone and no mailing address.  Now that you've revealed you can afford to waste a dollar on a lottery ticket, just put your e-mail address in your profile and you'll get some requests.  At Micheal Jackson trial, his accusers revealed he wasn't the first sucker they begged for money, Jay Lena and other turned them down, so they sought the help of someone who knew the soft touch suckers in Hollywood and found Jackson.  People like Oprah, Bill Gates and others get request but have people to handle such requests.  Some beggars consider begging their full time job, so they seek out anyone with a dollar.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8393 Posts
            Posted: August 21, 2005, 10:39 pm - IP Logged
            almost all of the rich and famous belong to or have public and or private foundations they either fund or are partnered in a trust with others of their financial caliber. The fact that the new voguish are targeted is they haven't started and endowment yet and or haven't the foggiest idea how to go about it. They are easy marks because they haven't had time to cool their wheels and the fact that many lottery winners live like well easy come easy go and end up giving till they are either financially strapped or at some breaking point.
            As did Jack Whitacker. He started a foundation that only lasted a few months. Had he of partnered with a popular foundation his money would still be put to good use instead he gave money through his foundation to just about anyone with a sob story.
            By the way Bill Gates has one of the largest foundations of them all and has donated money goods and services to just about every part of the world for some cause or another. 
              New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: August 21, 2005, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

It's thread-drift.... I'll make it parenthetical (Four4me, you live anywhere near Emmitsburg?)

Used to go there a lot in my work.... liked the place pretty well.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                Member #5565
                July 11, 2004
                260 Posts
                Posted: August 21, 2005, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I'll complain about it until I've actually won a multi-million dollar lottery.  Until then, it's somebody else's problem.  The people you have to watch out for are usually family members.  By virtue of being relations, they feel they have a right to make demands.

twisted's avatar - underground
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #2376
                  September 25, 2003
                  582 Posts
                  Posted: August 22, 2005, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Maybe its because most lottery winners are not already rich before they instantaneously become rich. So the "beggars" might think that the new millionaire might understand their situation and be generous because the winner might have been in the same position as them. Also, they might think it more acceptable to ask for money from some who didnt have to earn it.

This might be what is going on through the "beggars" mind.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                    Wisconsin
                    United States
                    Member #1303
                    March 27, 2003
                    1508 Posts
                    Posted: August 22, 2005, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Exactly ! You hit it right on the head.  If you win the lottery, you have zero responsibility to give anything to anyone.  If you wish to, you can.  But I think lottery winners often give it away because they feel guilty they have won; like they don't deserve the winnings.  But the fact is that they did win, and therefore they do deserve it.

"No" isn't that hard to say.....start practicing it now. Just in case. Smile

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: August 22, 2005, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

dphillips,

Where have you been, you must have an unlisted telephone and no mailing address.  Now that you've revealed you can afford to waste a dollar on a lottery ticket, just put your e-mail address in your profile and you'll get some requests.  At Micheal Jackson trial, his accusers revealed he wasn't the first sucker they begged for money, Jay Lena and other turned them down, so they sought the help of someone who knew the soft touch suckers in Hollywood and found Jackson.  People like Oprah, Bill Gates and others get request but have people to handle such requests.  Some beggars consider begging their full time job, so they seek out anyone with a dollar.

RJOh

People like Oprah, Bill Gates and others get request but have people to handle such requests.

There's reason to suspect that people who are already accustomed to having money adopt an entirely different way of looking at a whole range of issues involving it.  They're further removed from the hardships of not having any, or much of it, and they don't part with it easily.

A couple of examples:

Condo owners at Aspen won't rent out to the Kennedy Klan without having a major deposit up front to cover the costs of repairs after they trash the place.  That's the result of a visit several years ago where thousands of dollars of damage was done by the K family, but which they refused to pay for after they'd exited the scene.

Sierra County, New Mexico's probably still wondering what to do with the bill for a hospital visit by the Ted Turner bunch several years ago.  One of the party broke an arm .... compound fracture.  An emergency helicopter was sent (public cost) to deliver the person to a better hospital facility in Albuquerque.  Afterward, Turner refused to pay the bill.  Sierra County taxpayers got stuck with it.

These folks won't even pay legitimate expenses without being forced into it.  There's not much danger of them getting ripped off by some beggar.

Jack

Egos don't count.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: August 22, 2005, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Exactly ! You hit it right on the head.  If you win the lottery, you have zero responsibility to give anything to anyone.  If you wish to, you can.  But I think lottery winners often give it away because they feel guilty they have won; like they don't deserve the winnings.  But the fact is that they did win, and therefore they do deserve it.

Damn straight!  Nobody's bumming money off me if I win!!

New Mexico
                          United States
                          Member #12305
                          March 10, 2005
                          2984 Posts
                          Posted: August 22, 2005, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Money's always been bad about bringing out the most admirable human traits.  Even contemplating the remote prospect of it seems to do the job.

Jack

Egos don't count.

United States
                            Member #5565
                            July 11, 2004
                            260 Posts
                            Posted: August 23, 2005, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

If I win the lottery, I plan to enjoy it.  I might even take the unusual choice of having them mail the check to me once a year so I can experience the feeling of laughing all the way to the bank.  (I live about 1 1/2 miles from the nearest branch.)  I don't understand the proliferation of threads complaining about what would happen when no one's won anything yet. 

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3348 Posts
                              Posted: August 23, 2005, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Seems a couple of conclusions are being drawn by this thread.
                              (1)  The rich and famous just might have worked to get where they are so establish foundations which help people help themselves.  The old adage of "teach a man to fish and he can feed himself" .... 
                              (2)  Beggars don't want to put out the effort to learn to feed themselves so go after easy marks. 

Good luck to everyone!