Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 1:41 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is This For Real?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 11 years ago by deacont.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Washington, DC
United States
Member #20807
August 26, 2005
7 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2005, 8:58 am - IP Logged

I just recently receive an e-mail from THE NATIONAL LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD in the UK notifying me that I have won the lottery.  Now, I have received other e-mails telling me the same thing.  For instance from the Golden Gate Lottery.  I checked with the BBB and was told that the Golden Gate Lottery was a scam.  From what I could find out so far, the National Lottery International seems to be legitimate.  How can I find out if this is genuine and I have really won this lottery?  Can I really call myself a millionaire?  Why does it cost so much to collect the winnings?  Is this a scam too?

Tony Reynolds

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11906 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2005, 9:38 am - IP Logged

I usually know when I play a lottery, If you didnt play then you didnt win....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
      FEMA Region V Camp #21
      United States
      Member #520
      July 27, 2002
      5699 Posts
      Posted: August 26, 2005, 10:21 am - IP Logged

Another BIG clue........when you are asked to pay to collect your winnings, chances are you haven't won anything.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

angelm's avatar - anne
        richmond ky.
        United States
        Member #15877
        May 22, 2005
        8472 Posts
        Posted: August 26, 2005, 10:34 am - IP Logged

sounds like  a scam to me!!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: August 26, 2005, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Let me clear this up for you:

Unless you specifically entered a contest, if you receive a "winner notification" through e-mail, it is always a scam.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts.  It is true 100% of the time.

Just delete it and move on with your life.  You'll be a lot happier than sitting and dreaming about non-existent new-found wealth that some scammer put into your mind.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Washington, DC
            United States
            Member #20807
            August 26, 2005
            7 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2005, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  And thanks for your quick response.  I thought as much.  I just needed confirmation.  You have done that.  I am having a problem with the e-mail account that holds that e-mail, but I would like to send you a copy and if it is permissible, post it on the forum so that everyone can see what it is.  I have a few more just like that one.  As I mentioned, Golden Gate Lottery is one of them.  Thanks again, and I do know how to take a word to the wise.

Tony Reynolds

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
              Florence, Alabama
              United States
              Member #8658
              November 13, 2004
              1993 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2005, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

recently my wife received a letter with a check through the USPS from a company in CA informing  her she was the benefitiary of a large sum of money from a relavtive who had passed away back in the early 1900's. It said that the relative had  money in bank accounts that over the years had grew from interest to over 14 mil. They wanted my wife to send $99. for processing and after the check was cashed they wanted a percentage of the check and lot of personel information that they said was for verification. Me, myself figured this was a scam from the git go because the info they wanted sounded to me like everything you needed to perform identity theft. I tried to locate the company on the internet by the name of the company and by the address on the letter. I found nothing on either. The phone number I got from doing a search using the address came up with a UPS store in Ca. I sent Todd a message asking him if he thought it was a scam and he told me to take the letter to  the post office  and/or local police department. I contacted the local Post Office and gave them a copy of the letter so they could investigate it and I also contacted the State Attorney General so they could do the same. 

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Washington, DC
                United States
                Member #20807
                August 26, 2005
                7 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2005, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Let me clear this up for you:

Unless you specifically entered a contest, if you receive a "winner notification" through e-mail, it is always a scam.

There is no ifs, ands, or buts.  It is true 100% of the time.

Just delete it and move on with your life.  You'll be a lot happier than sitting and dreaming about non-existent new-found wealth that some scammer put into your mind.

Signed the petition.  There is nothing random about logic and computers are totally logicall.  Good job!!

Tony Reynolds

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23259 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2005, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  And thanks for your quick response.  I thought as much.  I just needed confirmation.  You have done that.  I am having a problem with the e-mail account that holds that e-mail, but I would like to send you a copy and if it is permissible, post it on the forum so that everyone can see what it is.  I have a few more just like that one.  As I mentioned, Golden Gate Lottery is one of them.  Thanks again, and I do know how to take a word to the wise.

Absolutely, anyone is always feel free to post scam letters here in the forums, because it shines the light of day on those disgustingly pathetic maggots who try to steal people's hard-earned money.  If someone can see that other people are getting the same e-mails they get, it convinces them that it is indeed a scam.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Washington, DC
                    United States
                    Member #20807
                    August 26, 2005
                    7 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2005, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

Verizonmail is upgrading the e-mail system and I cannot access my account.  But, just as soon as I can, I am going to post all of the e-mails claiming that I won the lottery.  I want everyone to see what they are getting if they receive one of these.  There may be a copy in my Yahoo mail.  If so, I will post it.  Thanks again.

Tony Reynolds

Washington, DC
                      United States
                      Member #20807
                      August 26, 2005
                      7 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2005, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi Todd,

This is a copy of one of the e-mails I received recently.  Doesn't it look genuine?  Then, the next thing they ask you for is some outrageous sum for handling and insurance before they will release your winnings to you.  Being a Christian, I don't understand how people can be so callous.

CLEAN LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT,
                      LONDON, ENGLAND.

REFERENCE NUMBER: ABJL7873W445
                      BATCH NUMBER: 689/589/CLI-ENG
                      Dear Winner,
                      RESULTS FOR PROMOTIONAL DRAW CLEAN LOTTERY INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT wishes
                      to inform you of the results of its Promotional draws held on the 3rd June 2004 We officially inform you that you have emerged winner  number 6" for our cash prize, which is part of our promotional draws.
                      Participants were selected through a central computer ballot system drawn from 10,000,000 names/email addresses of individuals and companies from around the globe as part of our International Promotions and expansion Program. Your Lottery Claim is attached to ticket number 43387109625, with serial number 000445, and drew the lucky numbers 05 22 55 06 85 (589) to emerge one of the Cash 5 winners. You have consequently been  awarded lump sum pay out of 1,500,000.00Pound (One Million, Five Hundred thousand British Pounds) in cash, which is the winning payout for cash 4 winners. This is from the total prize money of Pound 18,000,000.00 shared between 12 international winners in the category.
                      CONGRATULATIONS!
                      In your best interest and also to avoid mix up of numbers and names of any kind, we request that you keep the entire details of your award strictly from any third party observation until the process of  transferring your prize is completed, and your funds remitted to your account. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming or unscrupulous acts by participants/non participants of this
                      program.
                      Please contact your claims agent immediately for due processing and payment to you.
                      NAME: Mr. Rostam Sardar Ahmad
                      EMAIL: clean.lottery01@btinternet.com
                      Tel: +44 7040-115-433
                      Fax: +44 8701-215-770
                      You are advised to contact your agents by email within a week of receiving this notice. Failure to do so may warrant disqualification.
                      NOTE: For easy reference and identification, find your reference number; remember to quote this number in all correspondence with your claims agent.  REFERENCE NUMBER: ABJL7873W445 Thank you for being part of our promotions program.
                      Yours sincerely,
                      Sean McCreary
                      Lotto Co-ordinator

NB: Any breach of confidentiality on the part of the winners will result to disqualification. Please do not reply to this email. Contact your claims agent. (TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY).

Tony Reynolds

USA
                        United States
                        Member #1849
                        July 15, 2003
                        265 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2005, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Hey DeaconT, I received the same email and usually in ten seconds I delete those suckers but this one had me thinking for a 30 seconds because I do play overseas lotteries but believe me anytime someone’s contact information is hard to find and NOT PUBLIC then beware it's 100% a scam. Any public company offering anything real will make is a point to make their contact information available throughout all contacts with their clients, it's called business ethics and law. Realtors, for example cannot advertise without this information in my state. Professionally, legal lotteries have laws that also govern their behaviors remember that when determining if something is a scam. Hopefully this is helpful also. What you did is good, blasting the name of scam or scam email is a quick way to help stop it.

Washington, DC
                          United States
                          Member #20807
                          August 26, 2005
                          7 Posts
                          Posted: August 26, 2005, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Hey Todd,

I was just thinking, I wish I knew someone in London with the authority to put a stop to these kinds of e-mails.  Isn't there a law against it?  I mean an international law?  There is one more thing I want to warn people about.  It is called phishing.  Phishing is when you get an e-mail from what appears to be, let's say E-bay or Paypal asking you to update your account information.  If you get something like that, always check with the company first to find out whether they sent it or not.  Chances are they did not.  I just thought I would pass that on, because I get those too.

Tony Reynolds