Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Supercomputers & Lotteries & Stocks.....

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: August 31, 2005, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Tell me if a
supercomputer beat the number one chess player in the world, and the
number
7 in the world [the supercomputer named hydra beat the number one chess player in england, number 7 in the world] do you think it would be able to predict the lottery and stockfrom the stock market....I mean easy lotteries like pick3 and pick4,
not talking about pick6 and pick5 [lotteries that have ridiculously too
many combinations].....do you think a supercomputer would be able to do it in
the future?????chess is a very complex game and so is pick3 and
pick4....Not only that a supercomputer named deep thunder is been use to predict the wheather, a phenomenon known to be random just like lotteries.....i
would really appreciate your response....

sincerely,

michael brown

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
    Member #5599
    July 13, 2004
    1184 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2005, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I don't think it's a matter of how powerful the computer is anymore. It's more about what the appropriate progamming is to get accurate solutions. All the power in the world won't help if you don't know how to use it.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

monty's avatar - animal duck.jpg
      Prescott Ontario
      Canada
      Member #6389
      August 20, 2004
      8 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2005, 10:40 am - IP Logged

I agree with JKING, you have the most poweful computer in the world, and yes they do many things for us in this great world for us despite other things that are tragic. However in my view it is the human brain that plants the idea into the computer, if it is wrong, the computer is going to digest all the wrong things.

I have a wonderful computer, an excellent space in my home to relax, I have been playing the lottery on a budget scale for the past 30 years, The lottery to me is a hobby with a dream off hitting the big one, my problem is that my god given brain has not fed the computer the right information, therfore the dream has not come forth and I continue to play my hobby and I work like hell at my work, to support my family and finer things in life

Have a great day everyone

Bill & Ineke

Ontario Canada

paurths's avatar - underground
        Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
        Belgium
        Member #19287
        July 29, 2005
        2254 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2005, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure on predicting the right numbers every time, but i do believe that using probability, path-integrals and recurrence analysis (monte carlo method etc.) could be a direction to come up with at least an acceptable range of number in which most of the time at least 4 or 5 out of 6 come up.
        The cpu-speed to come up with the results for the calculations concerning the path-integrals alone would have to be, let's say "a pretty little more advanced" than the ones one can buy at the local store. At least to come up with results before the next draw.
        Further more, the program should be able to make "decisions" on its own regarding the use of parameters while it is computing all the possible "pasts & futures". (ofcourse these "decisions" would be algorithms that are pre-made, otherwise one would also need software that has intelligence as we know it)

In fact, a program that comes up, every draw, with 6 numbers from which 3 are correct is a goldmine. (at least here in Belgium where you get 2,5 euro for 3 out of 6, while you put in 0,5 euro)
        Play the combination enough times and there's your income. After each draw play the combination more times.
        Only 3 numbers... yet so hard...

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
          Tx
          United States
          Member #4570
          May 4, 2004
          5180 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2005, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

They are right, is not the computer that the lotteries should worry about, but about the mind or minds that can design the right computer program(s) to beat them and their lotteries.

It does not have to be an extremely complicated program or programs, but a program that uses advanced logic(s) might be best.

Predicted numbers need to be made or chosen according to pre-made prediction "rules" which should be based upon the make-up of the particular game and it's past winning numbers.

How else can predictions be made ? All this of course needs to be put into a computer program.

That is of course an over-simplification of the process.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2005, 7:11 am - IP Logged

A supercomputer might be able to find a physical pattern in the behavior of the balls, but will never be able to predict with any great success.

United States
              Member #1759
              June 29, 2003
              1156 Posts
              Posted: September 1, 2005, 7:15 am - IP Logged

Not yet anyway because no one so far has developed Software like the kind the IBM SuperComputer used too beat the Champion Chess Player.Once this software is developed and used by a SuperComputer maybe this can be accomplished

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19824 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2005, 7:58 am - IP Logged

If such software did exist and worked, who do you think would benefit from it?  Chances are if it did exist, the general public would not know anything about it.  Anyone smart enough to create such software would not likely be dumb enough to tell the whole world before they had a chance to make millions.  Bragging rights aren't worth that much, besides the general public would not continue to play lotteries if they knew for sure a privileged few had an advantage over them.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Blaine WA
                  United States
                  Member #17275
                  June 15, 2005
                  117 Posts
                  Posted: September 1, 2005, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

If such software did exist and worked, who do you think would benefit from it?  Chances are if it did exist, the general public would not know anything about it.  Anyone smart enough to create such software would not likely be dumb enough to tell the whole world before they had a chance to make millions.  Bragging rights aren't worth that much, besides the general public would not continue to play lotteries if they knew for sure a privileged few had an advantage over them.

RJOh

ABSOLUTELY

how-ever if the numbers are drawn by computer and there not being a truly RNG

it may only take a computer a few thousand draws to know which series the RNG is in and which number is next.

if the numbers are drawn by balls with varied machines and ball combinations then it should be truly random and no computer i am aware of should be able to predict any better than you or i

the odds do not mean much to those who win the jackpot

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19824 Posts
                    Posted: September 1, 2005, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I would think that someone who had the resources of a supercomputer to pick their numbers would also have the  financial resources to try for more than a box hit in a pick3 or pick4 game.  I was thinking more of the lotto games with jackpots of $80M or more which don't use RNGs.  Available time on a supercomputer is limited, so it not likely to be available for daily games or every jackpot drawings.  For the pick3 or pick4 games, one wouldn't need a supercomputer but a fast PC with a super program.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                      Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: September 1, 2005, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

There are many possible winning or prediction techniques, I don't know of any that would need more than 1 000 to 2 000 past draws at the very most and many techniques would need no more than 100 or so, some straight winning methods would need more past draws than boxed winning systems, boxed systems and some straight ones can do with relatively few past draws.

As to the systems themselves they are easy enough to think out, but they are too complicated to use by hand, they do have to be put into a computer program, they are a lot easier to think out than to program, but hardly impossible.

As far as I can tell it is all statistics nothing else.